Parents urged to avoid using electronic devices to pacify children

webfact

Parents urged to avoid using electronic devices to pacify children

BANGKOK, 22 February 2016, (NNT) - A pediatrician has urged parents to refrain from using electronic devices, such as smartphones and tablets, to pacify children between the ages of one and eight.

The statement was made by Dr. Saowapa Phornchindarak, a developmental and behavioral pediatrician from BNH Hospital. She said that using the devices would discourage the toddler from interacting with family members or maintaining focus on a particular task.

She said these electronic devices should not be introduced to toddlers younger than two years old, referring to standard practices of the Paediatric Society of Thailand and the American Pediatric Society. Dr. Saowapa added that a toddler should not be exposed to the devices for longer than 1-2 hours a day.

She also suggested parents not to use these devices when they are spending their time with their child, as the gadgets would draw the kid's attention away from the parents. Dr. Saowapa stated that in order to foster better interaction between parents and children, parents should establish a greater presence in their children's lives than that of electronic devices.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-22 footer_n.gif

You mean parents have to actually do the job of being a parent? Sounds like a lot of hard work to me.

You know a parent truly loves their child when they don't make them do anything they don't want to do and give in to their every want.

Many Thais keep asking me why I don't have kids - like I'm being selfish. Well actually, I am quite selfish and this is the exact reason why I've chosen not to have kids.

It's very concerning how many kids use these things. I teach prathom 1-3 sometimes, and at break everyone just gets out their tablets to play games on. It's creepy. And they all use Line messenger... why on earth does a six year old need that? Then I think back to Italy where it's not unusual for parents to not let kids have even a TV... different world.

How are the kids going to communicate with their mothers if they cannot use facebook at an early age.

Or learn the skills of standing on the motorbike and at 8 master texting and driving with 2-3 friends on board. Where's Mom? ( sorry the line is bussssssy!).

I see nothing wrong with Kids using these devices, but with the strong caveat that they are used with intelligent balance.

On a flight the iPad keeps my son (2 years old) occupied... He can watch some Kids movies, do some jigsaw puzzles, paint, listen to nursery rhymes.

In a restaurant the iPad keeps my son occupied in the same way.

On a long car journey the iPad helps prevent my son from getting bored.

But, when we are at home the iPad see's limited use as he has enough other toys to play with and keep himself occupied.

I see the iPad as an extremely convenient tool which makes life for the parents much much easier, and why not use such a tool to compliment the arsenal of tricks and kit already in a good parents arsenal to keep children occupied?...

Lazy parents may overuse these tools, on the other hand I believe good parents will recognise how helpful and also educational this tools can be when used with 'intelligent balance'....

My gardner showed up with his wife and kid once. I noticed the kid was playing with a small notebook. I thought he was a bit young to be messing with it. It sure didnt float when he chucked it into the pool......

I am a bit puzzled....The pediatric does not mention the "dummyBox" or television as it was once called. before smartphones this was the one thing in Thailand parents was using to pacify their kids(and themselves as well), so how was that different from the smartphone? As I understand, many of those kids that grew up with the dummybox are doing alright today....or not??

At least the smartphone is interactive, and one can learn a thing or two like alphabet, drawing, coloring etc.....Each age has different things that concerns pediatrics, let's say in the 50's they where probably complaining about children spending too much time reading cartoons or something.

Edited by AlQaholic

My boy at 3 and a half knew both the English and Thai alphabet , colors, shapes and numerous songs on a smart phone. We didn't show him anything. Hé learned on his own. I was amazed how fast he picked it up. Hé finds all this on YouTube. They do have there place in learning but you do have to restrict their usage. Hé is not slug and very active outside at the parks ect.