Dual Pricing again

wobblyjohn

I thought we were getting away from the duel pricing culture these days, since getting my driving license its come in handy a few times but last week was the most stupid excuse I have ever seen

The story goes

After watching about the new Jellyfish exhibit at The Bang Saen aquarium she had to go see it for herself, driving license in wallet (just in case) we roll up at the ticket counter

Lady says 300 baht, wife says why so much, Lady says Thai price 80 baht Farang price 220

Out comes my license, Lady says can not, you have work permit, I say I retired 15 years ago, Lady says still need work permit

I say, retirement visa not let me work

Lady says, government say need work permit

Is it me or is this a stupid excuse to charge me almost 3x the price

Living on a pension all my income is spent in Thailand, I pay tax when I buy a car, tax when I buy a house other tax on goods and services

Man who's working obviously pays more tax but seriously why are the government insisting on ripping us off

Rant over annoyed.gifangry.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a privately run attraction or state run?
Did you pay the asking price or decline?

I assume its state run as its connected to a university
And yes I did pay the asking price but only cos the missus insisted she wanted to see the exhibit, but it totally ruined my day as I was fuming

Edited by wobblyjohn

I thought we were getting away from the duel pricing culture these days, since getting my driving license its come in handy a few times but last week was the most stupid excuse I have ever seen

The story goes

After watching about the new Jellyfish exhibit at The Bang Saen aquarium she had to go see it for herself, driving license in wallet (just in case) we roll up at the ticket counter

Lady says 300 baht, wife says why so much, Lady says Thai price 80 baht Farang price 220

Out comes my license, Lady says can not, you have work permit, I say I retired 15 years ago, Lady says still need work permit

I say, retirement visa not let me work

Lady says, government say need work permit

Is it me or is this a stupid excuse to charge me almost 3x the price

Living on a pension all my income is spent in Thailand, I pay tax when I buy a car, tax when I buy a house other tax on goods and services

Man who's working obviously pays more tax but seriously why are the government insisting on ripping us off

Rant over annoyed.gifangry.gif

Yes it is a stupid excuse to overcharge all farang, regardless when, where, why, who. White face...pay price!

I usually send the gf to buy anything when we're in Bangkok as she gets native prices, go in the door separately and I wait to one side until she has completed the transaction. We usually eat native and I find a table and wait for her to order and pay for the food, by the time the proprietor realises it's too late to rip us off.

Out here in Smallesville, Isaan farangs are a rarity and the dual pricing scam isn't practised, as far as I can tell.

Folks, make the effort to learn some Thai and get to listen to what other people say when discussing prices.

Then when offered an inflated prince, just say "the gentleman/lady right before me has got that price, so I want it too" in Thai with a large smile.

Works for me all the time. Actually, just speaking some Thai gets you the local price quite often.

Obviously, it seldom if ever works in places where dual pricing is institutionalised. Although it did work at the Chainat bird park not long ago when I arrived with the whole Thai family including a bunch of kids. No documents asked.

Edited by Lannig

And yes I did pay the asking price but only cos the missus insisted she wanted to see the exhibit, but it totally ruined my day as I was fuming

Yes it's always a difficult one that, do you roll over against your better judgement and thus avoid any bad feeling even though deep down you really want to do an about turn. I think many of us have to make that choice.

I live in Chonburi, just ten minutes from the Aquarium and have been there twice before (both a few years ago) and paid the Thai price on production of my Thai DL.

I went again a few months ago to show the wife's family, who were here for a few days, including five young nieces and nephews who were looking forward to going.

Like the OP I was also charged the foreigner price. I was told my DL was no longer acceptable to get a reduced price, This present Government said I now needed a WP I was told. I also argued that,I have lived here for many years, had been twice before and paid the Thai price, but as a retiree I was no longer able get a work permit. I was simply told 'no work permit, no reduction. You must pay the foreign price'.

I did pay under protest because I didn't want to disappoint the kids.

What ready aggravates me is that, over the last twenty + years I have taken my wife and daughter to visit many places in Thailand. The family are just an average farming family with very little spare cash to go anywhere. We take them to visit different places we've already been to so I only go because it's me showing them places and helping to teach them a bit about there own country. If I've now got to pay a foreign price to do so that's really taking the P**S.

Folks, make the effort to learn some Thai and get to listen to what other people say when discussing prices.

Then when offered an inflated prince, just say "the gentleman/lady right before me has got that price, so I want it too" in Thai with a large smile.

Works for me all the time. Actually, just speaking some Thai gets you the local price quite often.

Obviously, it seldom if ever works in places where dual pricing is institutionalised. Although it did work at the Chainat bird park not long ago when I arrived with the whole Thai family including a bunch of kids. No documents asked.

I never usually have a problem with prices, I always pay the Thai price. Sometimes I have to show my Thai DL, other times even that's not necessary. It appears this particular Aquarium cash desk has had specific instructions.

The day after we went to the Aquarium we took the kids to the local zoo, just fifteen minutes drive away. I paid the Thai price. No problems and no questions asked.

If they try to DP on me then I just walk I refuse to pay it.

Its been going on in Thailand for 25 years to my knowledge,

I have seen different price menus in Restaurants.

The locals think if the Thai Gov can do it then they can also.

Don't pay & just walk maybe the message will get through to them one day.

DP is what it is .

Thai driving licences are not discount cards !

DP may be irritating to some but they do have a choice.

DP is what it is and I understand that private enterprises would try to scam people but really a place of education such as The Institute of Marine Science, Burapha University is clearly wrong (it is in my eyes anyway)

A driving license shows residency in the kingdom and thus not really a tourist

Obviously your not married, her who has to be obeyed doesn't give us guys a choice (if we want a nice day out that is)

No It doesn't. I got a license before I even lived here. And now I have a five year license. If I go home does that mean I am still a resident of Thailand for the next 5 years?

But I agree a Thai license should be enough to let you in for the same price if dual pricing is involved.

I live in Chonburi, just ten minutes from the Aquarium and have been there twice before (both a few years ago) and paid the Thai price on production of my Thai DL.

I went again a few months ago to show the wife's family, who were here for a few days, including five young nieces and nephews who were looking forward to going.

Like the OP I was also charged the foreigner price. I was told my DL was no longer acceptable to get a reduced price, This present Government said I now needed a WP I was told. I also argued that,I have lived here for many years, had been twice before and paid the Thai price, but as a retiree I was no longer able get a work permit. I was simply told 'no work permit, no reduction. You must pay the foreign price'.

I did pay under protest because I didn't want to disappoint the kids.

What ready aggravates me is that, over the last twenty + years I have taken my wife and daughter to visit many places in Thailand. The family are just an average farming family with very little spare cash to go anywhere. We take them to visit different places we've already been to so I only go because it's me showing them places and helping to teach them a bit about there own country. If I've now got to pay a foreign price to do so that's really taking the P**S.

You can argue until blue in the face, the bottom line is they don`t give a toss about Farlang, we are nothing to them, take it or leave it they couldn`t care less. They provide some of us with retirement visas and extensions but will not lay on any concessions.

There is not a week that goes by when I don`t have to do a battle of wits with some Thai. In the end it wears you down. When I have options to walk away from something I know is a rip off, I`ll walk away, but if it`s a service or something mandatory then just have to grin and bear it. Welcome to paradise, the care free land of smiles, for a price.

DP is what it is .

Thai driving licences are not discount cards !

DP may be irritating to some but they do have a choice.

DP is what it is and I understand that private enterprises would try to scam people but really a place of education such as The Institute of Marine Science, Burapha University is clearly wrong (it is in my eyes anyway)

Obviously your not married, her who has to be obeyed doesn't give us guys a choice (if we want a nice day out that is)

I am married and unless I am charged the same "fee" as she we do not enter.

My wife has an active dislike of DP and will protest vociferously! To be fair she also realises that those in the firing line do not determine policy.

It's just Thai-logic: Farang is automatically rich, so can easily pay more.

Just buy fewer lady-drinks next time you go out and you will have made your money back :-)

Happy, Happy... Relak and Big Smile :-D

Edited by khunpa

Dual pricing is abhorrent. However, enforcing dual pricing on a foreigner who is with his Thai wife or family is a special kind of disrespect. Almost as if they are spitting in your face because they don't want you to forget you are not and never will be Thai.

locals getting discount happens everywhere even Disneyworld, St, Andrews Golf cub, even when I went to the Royal melbourne Golf club the locals got a massive discount.

Unless or until they start doing it on race alone your argument falls flat.

Edited by evadgib

locals getting discount happens everywhere even Disneyworld, St, Andrews Golf cub, even when I went to the Royal melbourne Golf club the locals got a massive discount.

When I, a whitey get my citizenship, I guarantee you they will let me in for the local price.

What a stupid thing to say.

When I, a whitey get my citizenship, I guarantee you they will let me in for the local price.

What a stupid thing to say.

A "local" at Disneyland or a golf club means "someone who lives there".

In Thailand a "local" means someone who doesn't have white skin.

I know Thais who have lived in USA 50 years and only come here for holiday once a year, getting Thai discounts on BTS (senior ticket) and many other attractions. I have lived and worked here for 20 years am often refused these discounts.

I have been using the motorcycle taxis at the top of my soi for 10 years. They treat me well, joke with me and often pick me up for free. I in turn buy them snacks or drinks sometimes. Recently a new guy joined them. He tried to charge me double and I refused.

The day after one of the regulars tried the same. Now they all do the same and simply say "Farang have money".

Now I walk another 50 metres and take other motor cycles.

You can complain ... we were driving from somewhere near Phitsanulok to Phu Tub Boek ...let the GPS take us. Didn't realise we would go through National Park ....500thb for me and 30thb for Mrs Jas. They said sorry but new rule. If it wasn't for having to drive about 100kms to go back and around, I wouldn't have paid it. Okay, so there were a couple of 'well sort of nice' places to stop but all we wanted to do was to drive through.

Later regretted not going back as could have stopped in Khao Kor at that nice coffee place AND still had change from my 500thb.