Pound heads sharply lower on Brexit concerns

webfact

Grouse, on 23 Feb 2016 - 17:30, said:Grouse, on 23 Feb 2016 - 17:30, said:
SgtRock, on 23 Feb 2016 - 14:02, said:SgtRock, on 23 Feb 2016 - 14:02, said:
QuoteQuote

Well thanks all you wise "Out" people!

Just cost me GBP7,500 at a stroke. Will have to leave those funds in UK until referendum confirms stay in and GBP rebounds

Indulge me. I am intrigued as to how the wise '' Out '' people have just cost you £ 7,500 at a stroke. Perhaps you could explain ?

QuoteQuote

I recall when the Deutschmark was high against Sterling. Didn't help us selling poor quality cars to Germany or stop the Germans selling high quality cars to us!

The strength of the £ or DM had absolutely no bearing on this. Why would a German buy a poor quality car ? Likewise, why would a Brit buy an inferior product when it was easy to buy an Audi, BMW or a Merc.

Nothing to do with money and everything to do with quality.

SgtRock, do you really not understand? Let me explain as simply as I can!

1) I was going to bring over 250,000 GBP. That is now worth 3% less in TBT terms approx. Directly caused by Boris and the silly people spouting about leaving the EU. "wise" was irony. OK now?

2) You are just underlining my point. Trying to export more by devaluing currency does not work for our kind of economy. Innovation and quality is key. We should copy the way the German Mittelstand work if we want increase exports. Got it?

On your points.

1. How bizarre that Boris and the outers caused you to lose money. Considering that the exchange rate is higher today than it was 3 weeks ago. OK now, you got that ? Stop talking out of the wrong orifice.

2. Germans and Brits buy German cars because of the quality, nothing to do with strong currency, as you aptly highlighted in your post. You buy cheap you buy twice. Got it now ? It is an extremely easy concept to understand.

Edited by SgtRock

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just cost me GBP7,500 at a stroke. Will have to leave those funds in UK until referendum confirms stay in and GBP rebounds

Indulge me. I am intrigued as to how the wise '' Out '' people have just cost you £ 7,500 at a stroke. Perhaps you could explain ?

I recall when the Deutschmark was high against Sterling. Didn't help us selling poor quality cars to Germany or stop the Germans selling high quality cars to us!

The strength of the £ or DM had absolutely no bearing on this. Why would a German buy a poor quality car ? Likewise, why would a Brit buy an inferior product when it was easy to buy an Audi, BMW or a Merc.

1) I was going to bring over 250,000 GBP. That is now worth 3% less in TBT terms approx. Directly caused by Boris and the silly people spouting about leaving the EU. "wise" was irony. OK now?

2) You are just underlining my point. Trying to export more by devaluing currency does not work for our kind of economy. Innovation and quality is key. We should copy the way the German Mittelstand work if we want increase exports. Got it?

You still have £250,000 don't you? so you have lost absolutely nothing............

RabC, on 23 Feb 2016 - 18:23, said:
Grouse, on 23 Feb 2016 - 17:30, said:
SgtRock, on 23 Feb 2016 - 14:02, said:

You still have £250,000 don't you? so you have lost absolutely nothing............

Don't confuse him whistling.gif

If the UK votes to leave, trade with Europe will not stop. Europe will want access to the

markets of the UK and the UK will want access to Europe. No need for protectionism

from either side. The same goes for intelligence information. If you want to keep secrets

as apposed to sharing the information than you will. Weather in or out you will share or not

share. Apparently France and Belgium did not share well. Yet they are both in the EU

when I last checked. All this trade and security, chicken little the sky is falling is nothing

but scaremongering. If both sides act like adults there will be no issues. If Europe throws

a hissy fit because the UK will no longer be kicking in billions of dollars a year, and regain

democratic sovereignty of its laws and boarders then both sides will loose.

There are many opportunities around the world that are closed to the UK currently because

you have to deal with EU bureaucracy. Even with immigration. Companies want to hire

the best talent in the world not just hire the best talent in Europe. etc...etc....

The worlds economies are growing, Europe's is shrinking, where do you want to hitch

your wagon. Never mind the migrant crisis that Merkel has thrown gasoline on. And then there

is Greece problem that will explode in a year or three. They should never have been in the EU

and the debt level is unsustainable. Another 300 billion haircut coming.

Get out in front of it and steer the direction of things. In the next 10 years the EU may well

fall apart anyway. coffee1.gif

QuoteQuote

On your points.

1. How bizarre that Boris and the outers caused you to lose money. Considering that the exchange rate is higher today than it was 3 weeks ago. OK now, you got that ? Stop talking out of the wrong orifice.

2. Germans and Brits buy German cars because of the quality, nothing to do with strong currency, as you aptly highlighted in your post. You buy cheap you buy twice. Got it now ? It is an extremely easy concept to understand.

Good god, man. Do you not understand anything?

1) TBT/GBP was 51.5 two days ago. It is now 50.0. 250,000 GBP would have bought 12.875M TBT. IT now buys 12.5M TBT. Difference is 375,000 TBT = 7,500 GBP

Jesus!

2) You keep underlining MY point! What are you trying to say? Yes Grouse, you are absolutely correct?

I really can not be bothered with this........

Edited by Grouse

On your points.

1) TBT/GBP was 51.5 two days ago. It is now 50.0. 250,000 GBP would have bought 12.875M TBT. IT now buys 12.5M TBT. Difference is 375,000 TBT = 7,500 GBP

Jesus!

2) You keep underlining MY point! What are you trying to say? Yes Grouse, you are absolutely correct?

It's THB not TBT, there's no such thing as TBT.

Grouse, on 24 Feb 2016 - 14:23, said:
SgtRock, on 23 Feb 2016 - 18:19, said:

On your points.

Jesus!

Good luck with your fantasy of trying to transfer £ 250,000 to THB.

I do not think I would be too concerned about THB 375,000 against BHT 12.5 Million.

It is time for me to bid you farewell.

Because The UK can not afford to leave The EU.The thinking is that if they did then Scotland would leave The UK and they are a large source of income to loose Then what industries is England left with? So dropping the value opf the pound at this time might send a signal to the big money people "not to back" leaving.

If Scotland was to leave the UK, that would mean a large sauce of income to loose. Please explain.

Because The UK can not afford to leave The EU.The thinking is that if they did then Scotland would leave The UK and they are a large source of income to loose Then what industries is England left with? So dropping the value opf the pound at this time might send a signal to the big money people "not to back" leaving.

Yes once Scotland leaves then the pound will go lower and lower, but I don't think that should stop the UK from leaving the EU. It will only hit expats anyway and they seem to be all in favor for leaving the EU so they would not mind much just a small sacrifice.

Another European who knows nothing about the UK economy. Perhaps you would be better reading up on the increasing numbers of Dutch,who are now also wanting to leave this corrupt organisation.

Edited by nontabury

If Scotland was to leave the UK, that would mean a large sauce of income to loose. Please explain.

Was the threat of refusing us access to HP sauce in an independent Scotland not already debunked as simply a Project Fear ruse?

Check you facts. Scotland is very expensive for the English tax-payer to maintain.

The sooner tee Scots leave and the Barnett Formula, which hands the Scots "free" money, is abolished the sooner I and many others will be pleased.

The only Scottish sauce I know of is 'Edinburgh Chippy Sauce' but even that is 'moonshine' as each chippy makes their own. whistling.gif

Check you facts. Scotland is very expensive for the English tax-payer to maintain.

The sooner tee Scots leave and the Barnett Formula, which hands the Scots "free" money, is abolished the sooner I and many others will be pleased.

In Scotland, due to its sparsely populated regions, it costs more to sustain the same level of services as, say, Manchester or Birmingham, much in the same way that somewhere like Cumbria also costs more.

The Scottish government has repeatedly asked that the Barnett formula be scrapped, but this was denied by the UK government. Therefore, Scottish people are forced to contribute THEIR money to projects such as HS2, which offers no benefit to us.

Well if your so clever, you should have anticipated this temporary setback,and already have brought your money over. Never mind all is not lost, be patient and bring it over later when the £ goes back up.

Edited by nontabury

Does anybody else recall a British PM saying (on television) something along the lines of "the Pound in your pocket is still worth as much today as it was yesterday" ? http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/19/newsid_3208000/3208396.stm

He was correct, it was the ability of the pound-in-your-pocket to buy things overseas which had fallen by 14% or so ! facepalm.gif

Grouse has a valid point, he should have moved his dosh a month or two ago, and got 55 to the Pound.

Now back to the bars economic-fora of Soi Buakow, Oi ! Where's my Chang gone ? And the ice has melted, too. Bastards, can't trust anyone, these days ! laugh.png

Well if your so clever, you should have anticipated this temporary setback,and already have brought your money over. Never mind all is not lost, be patient and bring it over later when the £ goes back up.

Yes, sensible comment. The money was an inheritance following completion of the sale of my deceased mother's property.

I have actually parked it for now in a Standard Chartered Sterling account in Singapore

I would not rate myself as particularly clever but smarter than some of buffoons you come across on here.....

How ridiculous is this ?

We're seeing people here, cheering on Britain's exit from the EU, even though they fully know that the pound is falling on the exchange rates ?

Look, we are becoming POORER because of the chance of Britain leaving is getting greater. Once Britain is OUT of the EU, if it happens, a pound will probably be US$ 1.20 and about 40 baht to a pound. The bigger the chance that the market thinks Britain is leaving, well, the closer we get to those numbers.

Do people hate Muslims and other foreigners being in Britain that much ? For the sake of reducing the number of Muslims and other foreigners in Britain, are people really willing to do something that will trash the British economy ?? It might actually be a good thing that the pound is falling as we speak. A load of ThaiVisa people in Thailand watching there money getting less and less might feel the pain, and be encouraged to cheer on the "STAY IN" campaign, I hope that happens.

Yes, sensible comment. The money was an inheritance following completion of the sale of my deceased mother's property.

I have actually parked it for now in a Standard Chartered Sterling account in Singapore

I would not rate myself as particularly clever but smarter than some of buffoons you come across on here.....

What rate of interest are you receiving at SCS?

Personally I always considered it a matter of luck,regarding exchange rates.

When I was in business, I usually got it wrong when importing with the US$.

Edited by nontabury

So much tosh talked about Scottish economics and contribution to GDP, here, read and weep:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-24866266

And that was when Oil was trading at between 110-120$, now the figure is around 30$.

I foresee the enthusiasm to prevent our secession diminishing by the day. Hopefully next time around things will be much more satisfactory for us all.

I don't know what all the panic is about the £ has only dropped 1bt. Peanuts against the 43

it stood at last year.

Maybe you will get your 43 baht peanuts rate back earlier than you think. BTW, a drop of 2.5 baht per pound is approximately a 5% drop, so again call it peanuts if you will, but the expat guys depending on sterling pensions will not be too amused.

The Brexit Advisory Committee on Soi Buakaow will be spluttering over their bottles of Leo the next month or so. Life can be so unfair!

Perfect storm brewing...BELOW 1.40 IS THE TIPPING POINT. I USE TO WISH MY DOLLARS WERE EUROS AND POUNDS. The pressure is on...

Well its below $1.40 right now.