Would a UN-backed government save Libya's oilfields?

webfact

Would a UN-backed government save Libya’s oilfields?

606x341_325037.jpg

TRIPOLI: -- Oilfields in Libya are likely to come under further attack unless a United Nations-backed government is approved.

The comments come from the head of the National Oil Corporation, Mustafa Sanalla.

He spoke out after ISIL militants targeted the Fida oil field last Friday.

The context

Experts say Libya is rapidly turning into a new front in the fight against ISIL.

The organisation is trying to exploit the years of chaos in the country to expand its foothold in the oil-rich, North African nation.

Forging a unified government is a monumental task. Libya has effectively been a failed state since the death of Muammar Gadaffi in 2011.

Post-Gaddafi, the country was carved up by powerful militias.

There are currently two governments. One is based in the capital, Tripoli, is dominated by Islamists and backed by a coalition of militias.

The other is internationally-recognised and based in the eastern city of Tobruk.

In numbers
Total production is 360-370,000 barrels per day
This is less than 25% of the 1.6 million BPD Libya was producing before the 2011 uprising
100,000 BPD for domestic consumption, the rest exported
“If there is no new government, I think the situation will get worse. I believe there will be more attacks on the oil facilities.” – Mustafa Sanalla

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-02-23

TRIPOLI: -- Oilfields in Libya are likely to come under further attack unless a United Nations-backed government is approved.

The comments come from the head of the National Oil Corporation, Mustafa Sanalla.

He spoke out after ISIL militants targeted the Fida oil field last Friday.

Stupidity personified.

ISIL will not give a sh!t about any UN approved Government. If anything it would make things worse.

The OP likely translates to empowering the Security Council waving the supposed arms embargo on Libya and provisioning the Libyan Transitional Council forces. In the meantime some countries illegally ship weapons to their preferred parties or gain specific dispensation from the SC.

Edited by simple1

would a UN backed government save Libya when it was the UN that destroyed it?

You can't fix stupid!

So Gaddafi had nothing to do with the problems in his country? I think many citizens there would tend to disagree with your comment.

Gaddafi was no saint neither was Saddam Hussein but when they were in power things were a lot quieter than what they are now. To late the Genie is out of the lamp.

Yeah, they sure made a mess of Libya, Gaddafi was a tyrant however life then was a he'll of a lot better than the nightmare NATO created (in the name of freedom & democracy of course).

Funny how they setup a central bank as the first priority, now I just wonder who would be running that.

So they are now worried about the oilfields, and want the UN to intervene, intervene in whose behalf might be the real question.

To quote war criminal Hilary Clinton "we came we saw, he died". Kind of sums up western evil regime change philosophy. Funny though how all these countries destroyed follows to the letter the master plan of another country in the region.

You can't fix stupid!

So Gaddafi had nothing to do with the problems in his country? I think many citizens there would tend to disagree with your comment.

Gaddafi was no saint neither was Saddam Hussein but when they were in power things were a lot quieter than what they are now. To late the Genie is out of the lamp.

But we know how these brutal dictators kept things quiet. Thus, the Arab Spring protests. Not the first time protests like this have happened in the ME. Dang if you do, dang if you don't! LOL

You can't fix stupid!

But we know how these brutal dictators kept things quiet. Thus, the Arab Spring protests. Not the first time protests like this have happened in the ME. Dang if you do, dang if you don't! LOL

Yes we can just witness our good ol'friends the Saudi for exemple.

What is important in this news (for the UN at least) is the word "oil", they went to war because of this, not to help population.

Strangely very few newspapers let us know that Total took 30% of the oil fields in Libya just after it was "freed"...

You can't fix stupid!

Yes we do and how many were killed under their rule and how many under "our"

How many fled to Europe and started to destroy it under dictatorship ? and how many are doing it now?

Arab Spring would have never happened if it was not instigated and supported by you know who, for the benefit of you know who.

End result, hundreds of thousands dead if not more, millions in refugee camps and numbers are growing

Edited by PattayaAl

How many fled to Europe and started to destroy it under dictatorship ? and how many are doing it now?

Arab Spring would have never happened if it was not instigated and supported by you know who, for the benefit of you know who.

End result, hundreds of thousands dead if not more, millions in refugee camps and numbers are growing

No good either way. Arab Spring was 100% due to Gaddafi. He was the ruler. You don't see uprisings like this in Denmark, Canada, the UK. Why? Better leadership and freedom of press. The latter is a big stick.

It's a terrible situation.

No good either way. Arab Spring was 100% due to Gaddafi. He was the ruler. You don't see uprisings like this in Denmark, Canada, the UK. Why? Better leadership and freedom of press. The latter is a big stick.

wrong, the upraising was not 100% due of Qaddafi. If there are less uprisings in Denmark, Canada, UK it is because they most of the time are on the side of those pushing the uprisings...

I completly agree Qaddafi was a dicator, however just look at before and after, who control the oil now, who had any interest in the fall of Qaddafi (former french president Sarkozy is one of them and is still tormented for the money he "may or may not" have borrowed from the Qaddafi family).

I do not agree, the protest was no different to any other day, but someone decided to use this opportunity to remove an "un-friendly"

If that someone would have stayed out of it, may be 100 would of been killed and end of story, instead hundreds of thousands are killed with no end insight.

Few other countries did try to have the so called spring, but because big Sam stayed out of it, it ended pretty fast with minimal casualties

Yes, Saddam, Assad & Ghaddafi were (& are) dictators. So are the Saudi, Bahrain, Yemen & other rulers. So was the Egyptian ruler.

The problem was & is that there is total allowance made for the 'friendly' ones and the unfriendly ones must be punished. The UN agreed a resolution for NATO to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya while the fighting contonued on the ground. Unfortunately NATO exceeded its mandate by a huge margin.

They bombed various sites in Tripoli, denying any civilian casualties - a total lie.

They were specifically told their mission was not to remove Ghaddafi but went after him & his family - another deceit.

They bombed Ghaddafi's forces in various place, especially Benghazi where the rebels had control - another excess.

They allowed the rebels to call in air strikes, the last of which bombed Ghaddafi's escape convoy, injuring him and allowing the rebels to execute him - massive excess.

It's all very well allowing the UN to back one side of a multi-faceted power grab but that side won't be able to prevail. Indirectly the UN, via the NATO 'mandate', destroyed the country & killed as many as Ghaddafi ever did to maintain power.

The crazy thing is that some rather gullible people believe that getting rid of another dictator will somehow result in democracy.

OK guys. I'm willing to be educated. Links to credible news sources pointing this out. From what I've read, the Arab Spring uprisings were caused because of discontent from the general population. Dictators tend to cause these things.

Yep, the rats were not willing to share their wealth with the common people. What's new?

Imagine what happens when there is a one-government world. Can't have that happen folks.

Lord, am I glad I am old, sorry for my kids though.

OK guys. I'm willing to be educated. Links to credible news sources pointing this out. From what I've read, the Arab Spring uprisings were caused because of discontent from the general population. Dictators tend to cause these things.

Yep, the rats were not willing to share their wealth with the common people. What's new?

Imagine what happens when there is a one-government world. Can't have that happen folks.

Gaddafi was a dictator and his regime was violent but he did share the wealth better than most rats.

Under his regime, Libya's standard of living and life expectancy were the highest in Africa... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Libya_under_Muammar_Gaddafi

I think people like craigt3365 view the world like a Hollywood film... remove the "bad guy" and the story ends with everything magically better. But, without a solid political structure to replace the bad guy, the result is chaos and infighting, not a magical democracy.

In this case, Gaddafi was far from an ideal ruler, but he did some good things for the development of Libya as well as supported oppressed people internationally, such as with the Colonel's support of the ANC.

Gaddafi was a dictator and his regime was violent but he did share the wealth better than most rats.

Under his regime, Libya's standard of living and life expectancy were the highest in Africa... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Libya_under_Muammar_Gaddafi

I think people like craigt3365 view the world like a Hollywood film... remove the "bad guy" and the story ends with everything magically better. But, without a solid political structure to replace the bad guy, the result is chaos and infighting, not a magical democracy.

In this case, Gaddafi was far from an ideal ruler, but he did some good things for the development of Libya as well as supported oppressed people internationally, such as with the Colonel's support of the ANC.

I expect if you asked Libyans, Iraqis or Syrians today. Would they like to go BACK to the old days. Most would say YES!

Look to the greatest nation on earth and there you will find the culprits that cause most region and regime change! CIA.

Just look up Bahrain or Saudi or Kuwait , it's as simple as that

Yes, Saddam, Assad & Ghaddafi were (& are) dictators. So are the Saudi, Bahrain, Yemen & other rulers. So was the Egyptian ruler.

The problem was & is that there is total allowance made for the 'friendly' ones and the unfriendly ones must be punished. The UN agreed a resolution for NATO to enforce a no-fly zone over Libya while the fighting contonued on the ground. Unfortunately NATO exceeded its mandate by a huge margin.

They bombed various sites in Tripoli, denying any civilian casualties - a total lie.

They were specifically told their mission was not to remove Ghaddafi but went after him & his family - another deceit.

They bombed Ghaddafi's forces in various place, especially Benghazi where the rebels had control - another excess.

They allowed the rebels to call in air strikes, the last of which bombed Ghaddafi's escape convoy, injuring him and allowing the rebels to execute him - massive excess.

It's all very well allowing the UN to back one side of a multi-faceted power grab but that side won't be able to prevail. Indirectly the UN, via the NATO 'mandate', destroyed the country & killed as many as Ghaddafi ever did to maintain power.

The crazy thing is that some rather gullible people believe that getting rid of another dictator will somehow result in democracy.

The craziest thing is that someone actually thought that the entire world wants or needs or can handle democracy.

If Gaddafi was such a good leader for Libya why was an arrest warrant issued by the ICC against him, his son and his head of intelligence for 'crimes against humanity' due to his response to the Arab Spring demonstrations, which included deliberately killing unarmed civilian protesters.

'Thousands have so far died in the fighting, while around 650,000 others have fled the country. Another 243,000 Libyans have been displaced internally, according to figures from the United Nations'.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2011/06/20116278148166670.html

Yes, I've read about how Gaddafi did some great things for his people, but also how his people were mistreated and repressed. But my question was what caused the Arab Spring uprisings? Please, don't say CIA. No conspiracy theories here.

And please show where I said removing the bad guy would make things magical? Links, please.

Interesting read:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/libya/2011-04-03/demystifying-arab-spring

In Tunisia, protesters escalated calls for the restoration of the country's suspended constitution. Meanwhile, Egyptians rose in revolt as strikes across the country brought daily life to a halt and toppled the government. In Libya, provincial leaders worked feverishly to strengthen their newly independent republic.

It was 1919.

Meanwhile, in Libya, ragtag bands of armed rebels in the eastern provinces ignited the protests, revealing the tribal and regional cleavages that have beset the country for decades.

Skip down to the section on Libya.

Just look up Bahrain or Saudi or Kuwait , it's as simple as that

I did. All 3 had uprisings. Bahrain's response was brutal. You don't remember watching it on the news????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain#Bahraini_uprising

The government then launched a crackdown on the opposition that included conducting thousands of arrests and systematic torture.[106][107][108][109][110] Almost daily clashes between protesters and security forces led to dozens of deaths.[111] Protests, sometimes staged by opposition parties, are ongoing.[112][113][114][115][116] More than 80 civilians and 13 policemen were killed as of March 2014.[117] The lack of coverage by Arab media in the Persian Gulf,[118] as compared to other Arab Spring uprisings, has sparked several controversies.

It's not about what the West wants. These were all grass roots protests. Had to be a reason why....

Yes, I've read about how Gaddafi did some great things for his people, but also how his people were mistreated and repressed. But my question was what caused the Arab Spring uprisings? Please, don't say CIA. No conspiracy theories here.

And please show where I said removing the bad guy would make things magical? Links, please.

Interesting read:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/libya/2011-04-03/demystifying-arab-spring

In Tunisia, protesters escalated calls for the restoration of the country's suspended constitution. Meanwhile, Egyptians rose in revolt as strikes across the country brought daily life to a halt and toppled the government. In Libya, provincial leaders worked feverishly to strengthen their newly independent republic.

It was 1919.

Meanwhile, in Libya, ragtag bands of armed rebels in the eastern provinces ignited the protests, revealing the tribal and regional cleavages that have beset the country for decades.

Skip down to the section on Libya.

Well if you don't want the truth! It wasn't the CIA. Ah Happy now!

Yes Craig exactly, response was brutal, West kept its mouth shut and there is no civil war there and no refugees or few hundred thousand dead people

The West didn't keep it's mouth shut. The reporters on the scene were arrested and then kicked out of the country. The regime was brutal in how it stopped the protests. So yes, a situation like Syria didn't evolve. Are you saying that's OK? I sure hope not....

Syria had a similar problem many years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria#Ba.27athist_Syria

In the late 1970s, an Islamist uprising by the Muslim Brotherhood was aimed against the government. Islamists attacked civilians and off-duty military personnel, leading security forces to also kill civilians in retaliatory strikes. The uprising had reached its climax in the 1982 Hama massacre,[82] when some 10,000 – 40,000 people were killed by regular Syrian Army troops.