Army chief urges media not to attach importance to what Thaksin proposed

webfact

Army chief urges media not to attach importance to what Thaksin proposed

23-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Army commander-in-chief Gen Theerachai Nakwanich today told media representatives not to attach importance to what the fugitive premier Thaksin Shinawatra said as what is more important is the drought which the farmers are suffering.

“Let’s him speak whatever he would like to, and pay less attention or never attach importance to what he said,”Gen Theerachai said when asked for comment on his proposed talks with the government.

He said what the former premier said and offered was for personal interest.

Gen Thirachai said what is more important now is the assistance to people who are suffering from drought.

He said the government is now asking the people to go to the Damrongtham Assistance Centre so that authorities could offer help to them immediately.

He said the Army will launch a drought relief campaign in cooperation with other government agencies to help the people suffering from drought.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152029

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-23

I wouldnt worry too much. Most people dont consider anything serious or important from either the present junta or former governments.

The drought will only be addressed when the barrack's jacuzzi's start running dry or the scotch on the rocks can no longer be diluted.

Edited by Reigntax

Why didn't the government start preparing for the drought months ago? Why the silly wait and see attitude? Is the PM finally taking the drought stituation seriously or does he still want proof?

they did but as expected the farmers didnt want to go along with it, they have been trying a few things for months but you cant help people that refuse to accept they need to ration their use of water. The fact that so many planted second crops when told there want enough water but went ahead with it shows they simply refuse to accept the facts, now the crops are withering and dying they want crying when the fault was theirs in the first place. I accept that farmers ned to grow but they also need to use their brains and realize when there isnt enough water to do so, why waste so much money on a dead crop unless you are too silly to realize it isnt going to work. Also remember that there hasnt been full dams since the PTP govt drained them in case there were floods which didnt happen and they have never been full since.

"He said what the former premier said and offered was for personal interest."

I may not always agree with the current power set-up, but there certainly is truth in this statement. T and his ilk never do or say anything out of purely altruistic reasons. There always is a barely hidden agenda.

There is a front page article in today's issue of the newspaper that does not want to me mentioned on TV. Apparently, PTP - of course stirred up from afar by you know who - now apparently wants to peddle Y as some sort of tragic democracy heroine akin to DASSK to the foreign media. You've got to be kidding me.

In the past, even T likened himself on several occasions to both Gandhi and Mandela, which was equally laughable.

Edited by Misterwhisper

Why didn't the government start preparing for the drought months ago? Why the silly wait and see attitude? Is the PM finally taking the drought stituation seriously or does he still want proof?

they did but as expected the farmers didnt want to go along with it, they have been trying a few things for months but you cant help people that refuse to accept they need to ration their use of water. The fact that so many planted second crops when told there want enough water but went ahead with it shows they simply refuse to accept the facts, now the crops are withering and dying they want crying when the fault was theirs in the first place. I accept that farmers ned to grow but they also need to use their brains and realize when there isnt enough water to do so, why waste so much money on a dead crop unless you are too silly to realize it isnt going to work. Also remember that there hasnt been full dams since the PTP govt drained them in case there were floods which didnt happen and they have never been full since.

But surely all they need to do is bring in the royal rainmaking squad. We often read how sucessfull they have been. Sorry. Couldnt help myself.

As for any elected government making decision on water release, I'm am sure it would have been done only on a recommendation from the authority responsible for water management based on meteorologist's and those employed who are qualified to provide such advice based on seasonal weather predictions.

But surely all they need to do is bring in the royal rainmaking squad. We often read how sucessfull they have been. Sorry. Couldnt help myself.

As for any elected government making decision on water release, I'm am sure it would have been done only on a recommendation from the authority responsible for water management based on meteorologist's and those employed who are qualified to provide such advice based on seasonal weather predictions.

Just like PTP listened to all the economic advisors who told them the rice scheme wouldn't work and would end up costing a lot of money. PTP went ahead anyway as they needed to buy the farmers votes to get elected.

Just like PTP listened to all the economic advisors who told them the rice scheme wouldn't work and would end up costing a lot of money. PTP went ahead anyway as they needed to buy the farmers votes to get elected.
And if governments were considered "businesses" I would agree but they are not and decisions are not made on finanial returns. Unfortunately, governments are more like a charity, where they have a set income and prioritise the area that is in most need.

If they are only to be involved in non loss making activities, there would be no health care, no public transport, no government services, no police force and no military. These are all loss making, some required to maintain civil society, some required to maintain basic health and wellbeing of the popuation.

Edited by Reigntax

Harping on about Democracy , for if your country is a Democracy you can just about talk about what you like and when you like , so it is no surprise if anyone takes a swipe at the Junta , and quite frankly I don't care if is Thaksin Shinawatra , myself or Billy Bo Yang , you get this negative response , nothing positive comes out of Thailand these Junta days , a vigorous debate from the Junta administration could be compared with watching paint dry , mainly because they have no answer to Democracy, being Military they cannot handle criticism nor debate......................................coffee1.gif

people of may word that. so many words that they for get to which ones they have to keep.

and the media they need also space to fill and what is easier ...

overall whit tells more about the people and media involved then that is has any added value to the path Thailand has to find to survive and become strong in Asean.

Edited by Autonuaq

'... Army commander-in-chief Gen Theerachai Nakwanich today told media representatives not to attach importance to what the fugitive premier Thaksin Shinawatra said as what is more important is the drought which the farmers are suffering.' That was the best he could come out with?

I am wondering what the man in the photo has to do with the subject (Gen Theerachai Nakwanich) of this article?

from thaipbs_logo.jpg

Edited by ratcatcher

Army and government cannot see past their noses.

Farmers may not be educated but they aren't stupid and will recognize that, should any drought relief occur, two truths prevail:

1. It was an attempt to propagandize govt. and refocus farmers' attention away from Thaksin
  2. Thaksin speaking out brought farmers' relief.

I'd say: clean up your act, about the park and more meaningfull stuff, and people will by themselves tend to pay less interest to this Dr Quack's selfish talk, but first things first, 'reform' yourselves, make 'the people' to be proud of you, ...gain their trust and confidence (you both don't have!), not just the varnishcoat of support you became, undeserved, just being 'less bad' as the Governments before yours...!

I cant wait until the people speak again. Thaksin would make a much better PM (again) than any of the Junta people. This country needs freedom.

All a question of perspective, I'd say my 6years old Rottweiler bitch would be a much better PM for Thailand than your Thaksin...! (This country needs ORDER!)

Harping on about Democracy , for if your country is a Democracy you can just about talk about what you like and when you like , so it is no surprise if anyone takes a swipe at the Junta , and quite frankly I don't care if is Thaksin Shinawatra , myself or Billy Bo Yang , you get this negative response , nothing positive comes out of Thailand these Junta days , a vigorous debate from the Junta administration could be compared with watching paint dry , mainly because they have no answer to Democracy, being Military they cannot handle criticism nor debate......................................coffee1.gif

After 6,466 posts you're still rambling about 'Democracy', in Thailand, how brave you are, must be a great SF movies' fan, get real a bit, write about what could, first time in it's History, progressively, bring (Siam-)Thailand on the path TOWARDS 'Democracy', at last! (I try to put some energy in that on relevant subjects).

I cant wait until the people speak again. Thaksin would make a much better PM (again) than any of the Junta people. This country needs freedom.

All a question of perspective, I'd say my 6years old Rottweiler bitch would be a much better PM for Thailand than your Thaksin...! (This country needs ORDER!)

Order comes from unity, not command. Unity in Thailand means more people with a reasonable standard of living (i.e., a livable income), and the opportunity to pursue their dreams. When a government allows their citizens to live freely and attain the standard of living that they deserve based on their efforts, those citizens will support their government. When the citizens see a government that favors a few, and hinders them from improving their lot and that of their neighbors, they lose faith and unity falls away. The US has the problem of the government favoring a few, but we still have some degree of freedom and opportunity, along with a high standard of living, which is for the moment holding things together. But, if one looks closely enough, you can see cracks in the facade in the US (and most of the western nations) due to special interests, poor money management, and poor planning.

Another thing that all democracies need is well educated and well informed citizens (voters). This is another area in which the US is coming up short at the moment. But this tends to be a pendulum, since when times are good, the voters get lazy, but when the s$% hits the fan, they wake up and get serious.

Why even bring up the name, will simply ensure attention and add credence?

He didn't bring it up.

“Let’s him speak whatever he would like to, and pay less attention or never attach importance to what he said,”Gen Theerachai said when asked for comment on his proposed talks with the government.

And if governments were considered "businesses" I would agree but they are not and decisions are not made on finanial returns. Unfortunately, governments are more like a charity, where they have a set income and prioritise the area that is in most need.

If they are only to be involved in non loss making activities, there would be no health care, no public transport, no government services, no police force and no military. These are all loss making, some required to maintain civil society, some required to maintain basic health and wellbeing of the popuation.

A government spending money on public services, like schools and hospitals, is not a loss-making venture because they are never intended to be money making ventures in the first place. In such cases governments have to show what money will be spent, account for it and justify it. Explain what the benefits will be. It is after all public money they are spending, not their own.

If on the other hand, a government implements a project that they say will not cost any money, meaning that they don't have to show where the money will come from or what the benefits will be, they have to stick to that promise. If they don't, and if let's say the project turns out costing 500 billion baht of public money, that is a loss-making venture that does have to be accounted for and explained. A shrug of the shoulders and a "well yeah, governments aren't businesses" is not good enough, as much as politicians might wish it were.

The current regime has already invested in as much meaningful development and redevopment of water reticulation schemes as and where it has been possible in practical terms and economic/ productive feasability. As some have mentioned also hindered by resistance or apathy .

Most of this has been referred to but not promoted as or for any popularist appeal.

The drought itself has been highlighted often in advisory warnings as to the medium to longer term.

Now the effect is impacting in real terms on peoples ability to maintain normal basic levels of life.

Appropriately the authorities are prepared to support those people at this now appropriate time. Handouts in advance would have been wasted.

Rain making is dependant on certain atmospheric conditions. When and where they exist it is fair bet the aircraft are up there.

And those smug individuals who think this drought issue is only about farmers are likely to be the same weasels complaining about the rising cost or lack of the usual cheap produce, the limits on water use, cuts in electrical supply.