Expired February 11th 1year temporary car and MC licences

Needed:

passport ID page + 2 copies signed and phone number

Med cert + copy

Certificat of residence from immigration + copy

Received 2 5+year licenses

Total time taken about 10 minutes from walking in to leaving

No test or film

Note 2 licences so needed 2 sets, for the 2nd copies are OK.

Special note I was specifically told by the DLT official that I only needed 1 Certificat of residence from immigration and that a copy for the second licence was perfectly acceptable.

Wow, others should take notice: You can possibly save money by submitting copies when applying for both MC and Car drivers licence.

I may have wasted 600 Baht on an extra original of the Residence Certificate and the Medical Certificate.

Your response may save others from wasting money.

Thanks

I renewed mine in Sakon Nakhon two weeks ago. I got my Thai car drivers license last year, first time, by showing my International drivers lic (plus all the other paperwork as above) however both times I was told they would not accept doctors cert from a clinic, only from a hospital. After looking at my passport the lady told me I could only have one year again because I only had a 1 month 'under consideration' stamp. This was because I had only just put in my visa extension renewal (based on marriage) although it was my fourth 1 year extension. However I ended up leaving with a two year lic for some reason?? Does this mean I will never be able to get a 5 year lic because it falls due same time as my visa extension therefore each time I will only have a 1 month "under consideration" when I renew my license? Hope that makes sense.

Here's my experience.

Local Police Station, Certificate of Residence free.

Local Amphur, using C of R to get Tabian Baan, free.

DLT, Banks, Immigration, whatever, all accept copies of TB.

Why take the expensive long road, when there are free short cuts.

• Like 1

I renewed mine in Sakon Nakhon two weeks ago. I got my Thai car drivers license last year, first time, by showing my International drivers lic (plus all the other paperwork as above) however both times I was told they would not accept doctors cert from a clinic, only from a hospital. After looking at my passport the lady told me I could only have one year again because I only had a 1 month 'under consideration' stamp. This was because I had only just put in my visa extension renewal (based on marriage) although it was my fourth 1 year extension. However I ended up leaving with a two year lic for some reason?? Does this mean I will never be able to get a 5 year lic because it falls due same time as my visa extension therefore each time I will only have a 1 month "under consideration" when I renew my license? Hope that makes sense.

There is no 1 year licence now.

All first temporary licences are now valid for 2 years.

You can apply to renew your next licence early before you do the extension, thus avoiding the 'under consideration' situation.

When you get the 5 year licence, the renewal date will be your birthday following the 5 year period, so it shouldn't coincide with your extension again.

Example: My birthdate is March. I renewed my licence in April 2015. Expiry is March 2021. (5 years 10 months)

• Like 1

A yellow book saved me from needing C of R and my first public hospital visit for medical certificate registered me in the Thai system with a card. 50฿ each for bike and car.

IDP for car with eye and reaction test got a 2 yr temporary license. They had no English preparatory class,film or book to study so I told them let me take the test. Missed one question and the man was shocked,, he told my wife "international not the same as Thai, people like me take the test many times"

I didn't tell him I read Chaing Mai Buddy's online test tutorial and link to Thai driving laws first.

Told my wife to say I was lucky today [emoji23]

• Like 1

Apologies for drifting north...but for those in Bangkok....

Renewed my automobile license Feb 18 at the Area 3 office on Sukhumvit 62, Bangkok.

Documentation requested: - Passport ID page copy (checked by staff against original)

- Extension of stay copy (checked against original)

- Most recent entry stamp copy (checked against original)

- TM 6 copy (not checked against original...maybe because unfolding it was too hard)

- Residence confirmation letter (mine was from embassy)

- Expiring Thai license

Documentation not wanted: - Medical certificate

- Copy of foreign license

Performance requirements: - Reaction test

- Depth perception test

- Color blindness check (now combined with a peripheral vision component)

- 'Polite Driver' video (approx one hour, closed room, sign in, unsupervised....most people just played with their phones)

Cost: 605 Baht

Validity: 6 years

Total time: Three hours and 18 minutes

PM me for any further information.

Edited by Hayduke

You can apply to renew your next licence early before you do the extension, thus avoiding the 'under consideration' situation.

When you get the 5 year licence, the renewal date will be your birthday following the 5 year period, so it shouldn't coincide with your extension again.

Example: My birthdate is March. I renewed my licence in April 2015. Expiry is March 2021. (5 years 10 months)

Many thanks Faz, I will renew early next time. Do you know if lic can be renewed at any office or must it be done in Sakon Nakhon? The reason I ask is because there are offices a lot closer. The only reason I first applied in Sakon was because I have to go there for my visa extension renewal and did it while in town. I actually live in a small village in Kalasin province and would save hours by going to Udon, Khon Kaen, etc closer by to renew my DL?

Many thanks Faz, I will renew early next time. Do you know if lic can be renewed at any office or must it be done in Sakon Nakhon? The reason I ask is because there are offices a lot closer. The only reason I first applied in Sakon was because I have to go there for my visa extension renewal and did it while in town. I actually live in a small village in Kalasin province and would save hours by going to Udon, Khon Kaen, etc closer by to renew my DL?

I can't give a definitive answer but I would try the DLT AEK hospital office in Udon. You can renew up to 60 days early, so if they say no you have plenty of time to go to Sakon Nakhon later.

You can obtain and change your DL at any DLT office.

As a rule most people obtain their licence locally and renew at the same office.

If you renew your licence at an office different to the one who issued the original then there is a small additional charge.

The charge is different for a car DL or a motorcycle DL.

You can ask at your local DLT office in Kalasin what the charge is.