Hysetrectomy surgury in Chiang Mai

roger1999

A Thai friend was told by a doctor in Bangkok that she needs to have a hysterectomy. She's p[lanning on checking into a hospital in the morning. I'm guessing Suan Dok is the way to go? I understand that since this is a pre-existing condition, getting medical insurance is out of the question. At least, she's been told that many times. Any idea as to cost? Apparently she'll be in the hospital anywhere from 1-4 nights. She's not particularly strong, so I'm guessing 3-4 nights.

I've got some friends who will pitch in. Thanks.

Thai citizen at Suan Dok Hospital cost is 30 baht, at least that is what my Thai friend paid for getting two bones set and staying about 5 days. At a private hospital she would pay a lot but Suan Dok is government and good care but can be long waits.

Edited by Dante99

She can NOT go to Suan Dok for 30 Baht! She would have to go to the hospital she has been assigned to in Phitsanulok. A hysterectomy is not an emergency procedure so she could have the surgery there. An ex (many years ago) had a hysterectomy and she was in the hospital for perhaps 2 days (USA). It is an extremely painful recovery for a woman and your friend will probably need help for a few days going to the toilet, bathing, etc. She will need a good supply of pain meds.

Nobody can purchase medical insurance and begin using it the next day!

If she is Thai she can must go thru the hospital where she is assigned and if they aren't able to do the procedure, then they must provide the referral to a higher level hospital. Some of the Thai people who seek treatment at Suan Dok are paying out of their own pocket because they do not want to get treatment at their "home" hospitals.

This may be considered an elective procedure, so there will be a queue for having the procedure done at Suan Dok. Also, they will probably keep her in the hospital much longer than they would keep someone in the hospital for a similar procedure in the U.S., where insurance companies apply much pressure for early discharge. Also, it seems that Thai people recover from anesthesia much more slowly than westerners -- at least in my observation.

She definitely should seek out a second opinion, especially if she's been told by a doctor in a private hospital that she needs the procedure. Often women are told they need a hysterectomy because they have fibroid tumors and they freak out because they hear the word "tumor". The vast majority of fibroids resolve themselves, especially if the woman is close to the age of menopause.

Thanks, Nancy. She went to Siriphat (not Suan Dok as I previously thought) and was told the waiting list is too long and they can't even put her on it. That seems odd to me since we had funds to pay. She is indeed at the age of menopause so I'll ask her to keep that in mind.

As a Thai if she need a Hysterectomy she is covered by the 30Bht scheme providing she is seeking care with a hospital covering the area of her Tabian Baan

Agree with Nancy about the need for a second opinion which should be sought from a Government hospital although I have to disagree about fibroids resolving themselves ------------they do not !

Such surgery is rarely urgent and she has time to make a wise decision.

Thanks, Nancy. She went to Siriphat (not Suan Dok as I previously thought) and was told the waiting list is too long and they can't even put her on it. That seems odd to me since we had funds to pay. She is indeed at the age of menopause so I'll ask her to keep that in mind.

Sriphat is indeed the private hospital and it's odd that they said the waiting list was too long. That sounds like something she'd be told at Suan Dok.

If the problem is indeed fibroid tumors, then the decision on whether to treat depends upon whether they're causing symptoms like heavy menstrual bleeding or a frequent need to urinate. If not, then often they aren't treated if a woman is nearing menopause because their growth depends upon estrogen and progesterone to grow. The production of these hormones stop at menopause and over time the fibroids will shrink. All that's needed is routine scans to check progress.

I'm speaking from personal experience with this condition, where the fibroids disappeared wtihin five years of menopause and also witnessed my mother have a hysterectomy for the same condition, close to the age of menopause when her only symptom was heavy monthly bleeding. It took her months to get over the surgery. Admittedly, they have better surgical techniques now, but she probably could have put up with a few more years of heavy periods rather than being incapacitated for as long as she was.

Also, I know someone who had a hysterectomy at a Chiang Mai hospital (not one of the ones mentioned in this thread) for this condition, without obtaining a second opinion and there was an equipment malfunction during the surgery that created a major problem. Any surgery is a risk and if the OP's friend indeed has fibroid tumors, this could be a condition where "watchful waiting" is indeed the wisest decision.

Also, I know someone who had a hysterectomy at a Chiang Mai hospital (not one of the ones mentioned in this thread) for this condition, without obtaining a second opinion and there was an equipment malfunction during the surgery that created a major problem. Any surgery is a risk...

Wow... I always wonder how well-maintained things are around here; like back-up battery supplies, generators, etc. in the event of a power outage. You know, the ones that back up the power to respirators, surgical equipment, and so forth...

Edited by elektrified