173rd place: Bangkok ranks near bottom of 'safe city' list for expats

webfact

Vancouver is a Western European city? Gee, I thought it was Chinese.

i see auckland has been moved to western eurpean also. must have happened during the christchurch earthquakes

What's this? "racism corner"?

yeah like im a white supremacisttongue.png

Don't mind cumgranosalum - he's obsessed with playing his 'racism' card at any opportunity. I'm beginning to think it's the only one in his deck....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercer would not know if their arse was on fire , what a load of rubbish, how this even gets printed as a bonafide report , when not one South American country is on that list , Where the <deleted> is Mexico, ? So as a paper report i would suggest to Mercer that they install the printed copies in their hong nam!

Couldn't agree more. A friend from Brazil was visiting a while ago. He was comparing Thailand with his home country and was amazed how he could feel safe anywhere in Bangkok, even in the most impoverished of the city.

An other friend from Texas too told me once how he feel safe here, he even added : here you don't get shot at for a pair of shoes (??).

To finish, I've been an expat in Asia for more than 20 years. I've personally known two person who were killed in two separate criminal incidents in the Philippine and an other couple of people who were killed in traffic accident in China. Regarding Thailand it seems the principal cause of death here is old age ...

Actually, for foreigners, suicide and murder are the principle cause of death.

Really?? Perhaps you would care to provide some proof to substantiate that seemingly ludicrous statement?

Really????? Are you new to TV????? I have read multiple accounts of murders and suicides cases involving foreigners here on TV No proofs needed, just keep reading TV.

Edited by Lekong

Thailand has dangerous roads, occasional but increasing violence towards foreigners, a high rate of foreign tourist deaths and of course some very notable foreign murders.

This said, Bangkok is one of the safest cities I have ever lived it and any hour of the day. There are many other problems facing the country but general expat safety is not one of them.

Mercer would not know if their arse was on fire , what a load of rubbish, how this even gets printed as a bonafide report , when not one South American country is on that list , Where the <deleted> is Mexico, ? So as a paper report i would suggest to Mercer that they install the printed copies in their hong nam!

Couldn't agree more. A friend from Brazil was visiting a while ago. He was comparing Thailand with his home country and was amazed how he could feel safe anywhere in Bangkok, even in the most impoverished of the city.

An other friend from Texas too told me once how he feel safe here, he even added : here you don't get shot at for a pair of shoes (??).

To finish, I've been an expat in Asia for more than 20 years. I've personally known two person who were killed in two separate criminal incidents in the Philippine and an other couple of people who were killed in traffic accident in China. Regarding Thailand it seems the principal cause of death here is old age ...

Rubbish, principle causes of foreign deaths are RTA's, followed by natural causes, there's a huge expat community here, murder and suicide are way down the list..

Just buried a friend here today.

25+ years living in all corners of Thailand.

Raised two kids to be good citizens.

Never had a physical altercation.

Never ripped anyone off.

Never struck anyone.

Died in his sleep.

Edited by animatic

Have you seen the complete list ? I believe Mexico is ranked down there as well , also Bogota .

Just buried a friend here today.

25+ years living in all corners of Thailand.

Raised two kids to be good citizens.

Never had a physical altercation.

Never ripped anyone off.

Never struck anyone.

Died in his sleep.

R I P ,

Yup, what do they know... who cares about the fact that it's based on statistics of assault, robbery, rape, etc. Statistics don't matter, let's base it on our personal bias and our personal experience. You sir, are a dunce.

Having worked and lived and paid taxes in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Zambia, South Africa, PNG , Irian jaya, USA, France , Italy, Holland, Germany, Indonesia Sumatra, Burkina Faso, India, Cyprus, Lao, Cambodia , China ,Australia, New Zealand, England, Japan, and Thailand , As you call me a "dunce" , From where i am coming from to reply to the heading of where it is safe to live in the world for an expat, I just have a small understanding of where it is safe! Only from my "personal experience."

How can one believes you when you stated that there was no one south American country in the list and someone reminded you of about 5 south American countries in that report? Your personal experience will count only to you.

Really?? Perhaps you would care to provide some proof to substantiate that seemingly ludicrous statement?

Really????? Are you new to TV????? I have read multiple accounts of murders and suicides cases involving foreigners here on TV No proofs needed, just keep reading TV.

Well I think you can see from my number of posts that I am not new to TV. Yes foreigners do commit suicide, and have been murdered in Thailand - I'm not disputing that.

What I am questioning is the statement made by thesetat2013 that "Actually, for foreigners, suicide and murder are the principle cause of death"

I assume you do know that principle cause means the main cause?

So I would like to see the proof that more foreigners die from unnatural causes than do from dying of old age.

Comprendez????????????????????

Yup, what do they know... who cares about the fact that it's based on statistics of assault, robbery, rape, etc. Statistics don't matter, let's base it on our personal bias and our personal experience. You sir, are a dunce.

Having worked and lived and paid taxes in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Zambia, South Africa, PNG , Irian jaya, USA, France , Italy, Holland, Germany, Indonesia Sumatra, Burkina Faso, India, Cyprus, Lao, Cambodia , China ,Australia, New Zealand, England, Japan, and Thailand , As you call me a "dunce" , From where i am coming from to reply to the heading of where it is safe to live in the world for an expat, I just have a small understanding of where it is safe! Only from my "personal experience."

How can one believes you when you stated that there was no one south American country in the list and someone reminded you of about 5 south American countries in that report? Your personal experience will count only to you.

As stated in prior post in my anger at the flyer , i apologised for my mistake, no excuse but being at work played a part in my haste, but thats for your own interpretation, as i state the message of safety is based on my own experiences," exactly counts for me " how or what you make of the rest is your choice,

Well I think you can see from my number of posts that I am not new to TV. Yes foreigners do commit suicide, and have been murdered in Thailand - I'm not disputing that.

What I am questioning is the statement made by thesetat2013 that "Actually, for foreigners, suicide and murder are the principle cause of death"

I assume you do know that principle cause means the main cause?

So I would like to see the proof that more foreigners die from unnatural causes than do from dying of old age.

Comprendez????????????????????

So! You are so quick to counter everyone has said and agreed with me. You should be the one out looking for proof. As others have said. There is ALWAYS news of foreigners getting killed or killing themselves, and only very rarely do you see a case of natural causes here

Death by natural causes doesn't make the headlines, gee, I wonder why that is!

And with close to 2 million foreigners (all nationalities) living in Thailand you can believe the attrition rate from natural deaths is quite high.

EDIT: my mistake, it's closer to 3.5 million.

http://www.burning-bison.com/expats.htm

Edited by chiang mai

Here are a few paragraphs from the Mercer report explaining the personal safety aspect.........

"Mercer personal Safety rankings

Personal safety

Safety, in particular, is a key factor for multinationals to consider when sending expatriate workers abroad, both because it raises concerns about the expat’s personal safety and because it has a significant impact on the cost of global compensation programmes.

“Multinational companies need accurate data and objective methods to determine the cost implications of deteriorating living standards and personal safety issues when compensating expatriates.”

“Managing safety and health issues is of utmost importance, especially for employees who relocate with a family. Our surveys enable companies to take adequate precautions for them.

“Other elements that add to safety costs in the host location are obtaining suitable and well secured accommodations; having an in-house comprehensive expatriate security programme and providing access to reputable professional evacuation services and medical support firms, and finally, providing security training and guarded office premises.”

For personal safety, the rankings for Asian cities again vary greatly. Singapore (8) ranks highest overall and is followed by five Japanese cities—Kobe, Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo, and Yokohama—that are tied for 32nd place. Other key cities include Hong Kong (37), Taipei (78), Beijing (97), Seoul (115), New Delhi (142), and Jakarta (172). Following considerable political unrest and terrorist attacks in several tourist areas over the last few years, Bangkok ranked 173rd for personal safety.'

It is worth bearing in mind that Bangkok is the capital of Thailand a country with a military junta that took power in a coup, has stayed longer than they intended and has now a record of increasingly draconian laws and restrictions on press freedoms, coupled with an appalling international reputation for its police force's ability to deal with any kind of crime from murder to terrorism - (which seem completely beyond there scope).It covers safety of their children too - and health and safety issues - well we've already seen an example of that this week with the tragic death of a 7 year old boy.

Then we have a leader who has been quoted making inappropriate remarks about women, and in general, an increasingly unhelpful attitude towards foreigners and foreign businesses.

companies sending their high earning employees simply don't want to have to deal with this sort of stuff.

Of course it is Thailand that will suffer as expertise goes to work elsewhere.

futhermore if you are retired oilrig worker, more used to bar brawls and binge drinking, this report is not for you - you wouldn't notice any of this stuff anyway.

absolutely right. And it's fact that South American cities are safer than BKK

Which South american cities? Have you checked the list?

Well, my friend, if "Quality of Life" is connected to "Safety" then all major Capital Cities in South America are better than BKK.

Look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Quality_of_Living_Survey

Ignorance is bliss. I don't feel particularly unsafe in Bangkok, BUT I have lived mostly in Moo Bahn's and Condo's with 24 hour security. I've been here for quite a few years and worked with a lot of people. One was bashed over the head with a brick and his bag was stolen, which contained a few books and about 50 baht. He required several months in the hospital, and eventually had to return to his home country for reconstructive surgery. Several former colleagues have been seriously injured in accidents on various forms of transportation. One was run down by a motorcycle while in a crosswalk and received a broken arm and leg.

Two others have died under mysterious circumstances, but were ruled as 'natural causes' after a very, perfunctory investigation.

Of course, the locals all blamed the victims.

It seems that a lot of misfortune befalls people in Thailand.

Well, my friend, if "Quality of Life" is connected to "Safety" then all major Capital Cities in South America are better than BKK.

Look here:

No - you're looking at last year's list and it is the "personal safety" rankings not QoL......

I agree with all the foregoing, but I did I have a bit of a scrape 2 years ago with one of Suthep's thugs when I knocked down a ribbon along the sidewalk so that I could cross the street. At least one farang journalist/ photographer was beaten up, possibly more. Now that the Fascists no longer are marching in the streets, there remain the equally obnoxious motorbike taxi drivers driving on the sidewalks. I have gotten into scrapes with them a couple of times when they came too close to running into me. Both classes of morons are not seriously dangerous, but very obnoxious.

555, you make the common mistake of thinking sidewalks (pavements to Brits) are for walking.

Not so in Thailand, it is only courteous to move your bum a few mm to let a bike through, it's the only way when the traffic is so congested. You need to alter your mind set. I don't say you are wrong, but I don't think that riding on the pavement is even illegal. So, if you want to survive without a heart attack ever time you see a motorbike (or pushbike, or tuk-tuk, or pick-up) on the pavement, you need to take no notice and jai, yen, yen........ and watch out for your feet.

PS stupid report, Thailand is a very safe place to live and like some others I have lived and worked in many, many countries. Probably only Hong Kong in the 70's was safer for expats, and even then it was not unknown for camera salesmen on Nathen Road to try to bean the 100th of the day, bloody annoying "not buy, only check price" tourist, it's not quite so safe now.

Edited by MiKT

Ignorance is bliss. I don't feel particularly unsafe in Bangkok, BUT I have lived mostly in Moo Bahn's and Condo's with 24 hour security. I've been here for quite a few years and worked with a lot of people. One was bashed over the head with a brick and his bag was stolen, which contained a few books and about 50 baht. He required several months in the hospital, and eventually had to return to his home country for reconstructive surgery. Several former colleagues have been seriously injured in accidents on various forms of transportation. One was run down by a motorcycle while in a crosswalk and received a broken arm and leg.

Two others have died under mysterious circumstances, but were ruled as 'natural causes' after a very, perfunctory investigation.

Of course, the locals all blamed the victims.

It seems that a lot of misfortune befalls people in Thailand.

Maybe it only happens to your friends......please don't send me any personal posts, thanks.

Wouldn't motor vehicle accidents out rank murder? Suicide I can understand...given some of the dodgy, lonely and depressed characters LoS can attract.

Look here:

No - you're looking at last year's list and it is the "personal safety" rankings not QoL......

5555 I know your comments are always funny. And so you will admit without any doubt that quality of life is impossible with a high rate of crime. Every fool would agree.