I'm trying to fly to thailand but apparently I need a return

It's not just an issue for Thai immigration. Sometimes the airlines want to see it. When I flew EVA last time, they wanted to see a onward/return ticket because they didn't notice the visa in my passport. Once I showed them, it was no problem getting my boarding pass.

Edited by inbangkok

Guys, it is so easy. Don't suggest to make fake ticket in Photoshop. Just book any ticket in business class or economy to any destination that is 100% refundable. After you get your visa or enter the country, simply call the airline and cancel it. The money will be back to credit card.

It's not just an issue for Thai immigration. Sometimes the airlines want to see it. When I flew EVA last time, they wanted to see a onward/return ticket because they didn't notice the visa in my passport. Once I showed them, it was no problem getting my boarding pass.

Was that a physical ticket issued by the airline or a printout?

It is safest to have an onward flight booked, otherwise the airline may not allow you to check in. Thai immigration does not actually check. If you look affluent, and speak to the supervisor, the airline will usually allow you to check in if you sign a form indemnifying them against any financial cost they could incur if you are refused entry into Thailand. I have quite frequently traveled to Thailand without a visa, and never been refused boarding, but airlines are becoming more strict. If you are of a nervous disposition, have either a visa or an onward flight reservation.

On my return to Thailand, from the UK (Manchester) this year, just after Christmas, the young woman on the check-in desk suddenly announced I wouldn't be allowed to board the (KLM) flight and so obviously wasn't allowed to check-in, as I had no flight booked OUT of Thailand, and was flying in intending on getting just the standard 30-day visa-exempt stamp. Even though I pointed out that I hadn't arranged a 'proper' Thai visa simply because I would actually be flying out of Thailand again two weeks later to start work in China (and had the China Z visa, from London, in place to show for it!), still I was told I would have to book a ticket and return to check-in again.

I am not usually of anxious disposition, far from it, but pretty flustered at 4am(!!), and not having ever encountered such a scenario previously on my many flights to Thailand, since first coming in 2007, I struggled somewhat to 'calmly' argue my point, before being sent to the KLM Customer Service Desk, where I again began to embark on lengthy discussion/ debate (I wasn't embarking on anything else, it seemed!!.. sorry.) as previous. What I had to accept, however, was that airline policy for certain countries, including Thailand, and something which is determined according to KLM's decreed understanding of actual Immigration policy of the respective country/ ies (they've got a hefty manual for it!!) meant technically I really should not be allowed to fly into Thailand WITHOUT a valid onward or return ticket showing I will be leaving again before the expiration of the permitted 'stay' period, in my case 30 days.

Having looked through my passport and accepting my (now calm as possible, just tired!) reasoning that I'd simply never had a problem before entering Thailand, and regularly flew [back] in, albeit usually with a long-stay visa, tourist or otherwise, MINUS said evidence of future departure, the Customer Service Manager lady decided that I could, after all, be allowed to check-in and so, later, (thankfully) board!! (Phew!!). I was however, still stirred enough to dwell more than I'd wish on what may happen at the Thai end, in Bangkok, if these rules were truly being enforced, and so found a ticket online whilst in Departure (to China, my intended future work destination), the details of which I saved to my phone.. just in case. I couldn't actually even book the ticket, for some online technical reason, but I hoped the details of the flight would suffice if needed. At Bangkok, the tough-looking lady on the desk end of my Immigration queue, simply looked slightly quizically through my 'busy' passport and then actually seemed pretty happy, when I told her 'No.. no visa this time', to just do me the 'honour' of quickly stamping the 30 days therein, just as always I'd always intended/ hoped/ prayed!!..

Sorry to seem so long-winded, but these events did happen, and did catch me totally unawares, and my full realisation, including on a sleepless and very long flight into Thailand, was that I really could have been flatly turned away at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, without any recourse or right of reply. Not a pleasant thought, especially as I was very much looking forward to a brief, relaxing, return to Thailand, before work commitments would take me elsewhere for some time. (.. and yes, I'm posting this from China!) wai.gif

Edited by spectrumisgreen

Either is fine..... If you don't have a visa, they just want to confirm you have an onward ticket (a screen grab on your phone should be fine as well) . Because if you are refused entry to Thailand due to this, the airline might have to foot the bill of returning you to your original departure point. But again.... If you have a visa, this is not a requirement..... Edited by inbangkok

What does the airline want to actually see:

• A print out of an email sent from a ticket purchase made online or...
  • The physical ticket issued by the airline (not a printout copy)?
And if an email printout is OK - This can be self manufactured through Photoshop or any other digital methods.

The airline wants to see you meet the entry requirements of the country you are flying to because if you don't they may be walloped with a huge fine and have to fly you back to where you came from. The flight may be full, more trouble and expense for them.

But as many people say they don't always check so you can gamble if you like. They have checked me for onward tickets or valid visa's when I have flown to Thailand maybe less than 10 times out of more than 50 flights.

Note what you actually need depends on what passport you hold. There are different requirements for different nationalities. Some countries require your passport is valid for a further 6 months. Some just that it is valid. Worth checking for peace of mind knowing that you won't be turned away at check-in.

Say you have booked the cheapest ticket, fixed dated non refundable. You get turned away because you don't meet the entry requirements, onward ticket, visa, maybe your passport is not readable and falling apart etc etc.

You need to buy a new ticket, you might have to find a hotel for the weekend until the consulate opens to get a visa, you might have to trudge home in the rain when you should have been lying on the beach over here.

I would say to the OP get a tourist visa for peace of mind plus you can stay longer. OP did say he wants to explore.

It's very hard to get an old style paper ticket, the ones where the check-in agent rips out a coupon. Some airlines will provide one If you pay a fee like $50. Nowadays 99.9 % are e-tickets meaning electronic tickets which only exist on the computer. You or the airline can print the itinerary out or even write it out on a piece of paper, or show the details on the phone screen. Whatever you print or show make sure it shows the actual ticket number on it.

• Like 1

It is safest to have an onward flight booked, otherwise the airline may not allow you to check in. Thai immigration does not actually check. If you look affluent, and speak to the supervisor, the airline will usually allow you to check in if you sign a form indemnifying them against any financial cost they could incur if you are refused entry into Thailand. I have quite frequently traveled to Thailand without a visa, and never been refused boarding, but airlines are becoming more strict. If you are of a nervous disposition, have either a visa or an onward flight reservation.

On my return to Thailand, from the UK (Manchester) this year, just after Christmas, the young woman on the check-in desk suddenly announced I wouldn't be allowed to board the (KLM) flight and so obviously wasn't allowed to check-in, as I had no flight booked OUT of Thailand, and was flying in intending on getting just the standard 30-day visa-exempt stamp. Even though I pointed out that I hadn't arranged a 'proper' Thai visa simply because I would actually be flying out of Thailand again two weeks later to start work in China (and had the China Z visa, from London, in place to show for it!), still I was told I would have to book a ticket and return to check-in again.

I am not usually of anxious disposition, far from it, but pretty flustered at 4am(!!), and not having ever encountered such a scenario previously on my many flights to Thailand, since first coming in 2007, I struggled somewhat to 'calmly' argue my point, before being sent to the KLM Customer Service Desk, where I again began to embark on lengthy discussion/ debate (I wasn't embarking on anything else, it seemed!!.. sorry.) as previous. What I had to accept, however, was that airline policy for certain countries, including Thailand, and something which is determined according to KLM's decreed understanding of actual Immigration policy of the respective country/ ies (they've got a hefty manual for it!!) meant technically I really should not be allowed to fly into Thailand WITHOUT a valid onward or return ticket showing I will be leaving again before the expiration of the permitted 'stay' period, in my case 30 days.

Having looked through my passport and accepting my (now calm as possible, just tired!) reasoning that I'd simply never had a problem before entering Thailand, and regularly flew [back] in, albeit usually with a long-stay visa, tourist or otherwise, MINUS said evidence of future departure, the Customer Service Manager lady decided that I could, after all, be allowed to check-in and so, later, (thankfully) board!! (Phew!!). I was however, still stirred enough to dwell more than I'd wish on what may happen at the Thai end, in Bangkok, if these rules were truly being enforced, and so found a ticket online whilst in Departure (to China, my intended future work destination), the details of which I saved to my phone.. just in case. I couldn't actually even book the ticket, for some online technical reason, but I hoped the details of the flight would suffice if needed. At Bangkok, the tough-looking lady on the desk end of my Immigration queue, simply looked slightly quizically through my 'busy' passport and then actually seemed pretty happy, when I told her 'No.. no visa this time', to just do me the 'honour' of quickly stamping the 30 days therein, just as always I'd always intended/ hoped/ prayed!!..

Sorry to seem so long-winded, but these events did happen, and did catch me totally unawares, and my full realisation, including on a sleepless and very long flight into Thailand, was that I really could have been flatly turned away at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, without any recourse or right of reply. Not a pleasant thought, especially as I was very much looking forward to a brief, relaxing, return to Thailand, before work commitments would take me elsewhere for some time. (.. and yes, I'm posting this from China!) wai.gif

Considering you did need a flight to China you could have saved all that trouble by booking it before you you left the UK. Anyway won't go into that but before and after Christmas the airlines are super busy especially to Thailand. Flights are full, maybe over booked, bad weather the day before somewhere, lots of passengers missed their connections. Too many passengers not enough seats. Message to check-in agents, anyone who doesn't meet the entry requirements boot them off the flight!

Last Oct. I got a round trip JAL ticket from BKK. I purchased the ticket from JAL website with no problem (no visa information was required), but when I was going back to BKK, JAL check-in (at Narita) told me that I have no Thai visa and they can not issue me any boarding pass. I explained them that I am an American and I do not need a visa since I can get a 30 day visa exempt on arrival. They asked me if I can show my return ticket to US or any other ticket to out of Thailand or if I am a Thai resident ( retired or "married to Thai" or any Thai identification card). My answer to them was no to all. But I told them that your airlines has sold me a round trip ticket in Thailand without asking me any question and now you are not letting me to go back to Thailand that I came from.

After 1-1/5 hour back and fort they came up with this idea that since visa is not required for Americans (It was only suggested) in "rules sheet" (they showed me) we issue you boarding pass, but they told me that I shall have problems with Thai immigration on arrival and I answered "I will handle that". I arrived to BKK and got 30 day visa exempt on arrival without any problem.

Edited by Foozool

Last Oct. I got a round trip JAL ticket from BKK. I purchased the ticket from JAL website with no problem (no visa information was required), but when I was going back to BKK, JAL check-in (at Narita) told me that I have no Thai visa and they can not issue me any boarding pass. I explained them that I am an American and I do not need a visa since I can get a 30 day visa exempt on arrival. They asked me if I can show my return ticket to US or any other ticket to out of Thailand or if I am a Thai resident ( retired or "married to Thai" or any Thai identification card). My answer to them was no to all. But I told them that your airlines has sold me a round trip ticket in Thailand without asking me any question and now you are not letting me to go back to Thailand that I came from.

After 1-1/5 hour back and fort they came up with this idea that since visa is not required for Americans (It was only suggested) in "rules sheet" (they showed me) we issue you boarding pass, but they told me that I shall have problems with Thai immigration on arrival and I answered "I will handle that". I arrived to BKK and got 30 day visa exempt on arrival without any problem.

The Rules are clearly set out on the Thai MFA website

"Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days therefore, you do not need a visa. However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be inconvenienced upon entry into the country."
Airlines are guided by the MFA and can be reluctant to fly those who may not meet entry requirements.

It's the passengers responsibility to meet the entry requirements of where they are travelling to. If you arrived at check-in without a passport would you argue that the JAL website allowed you book a ticket and never said anything about needing a passport?

• Like 1

I always travel to Bangkok without my return ticket when I arrive the airport. My most recent trip to Bangkok without a return ticket was 2 weeks ago.

You forgot to mention where from and with which airline ....................

Oh..traveling from Malaysia and usually with AirAsia or Malindo Air.

I think you pointed out something important.. The immigration may have different requirement for different passport holders

You don't need a onward or return ticket anymore. You use to and the problem was not with immigration but the Airline refusing to let you fly on a one way . This is not the case now but as the other posters have stated you can just purchase a cheap exit ticket from one of the budget airlines.

Not sure where you are getting your information but it is wrong. This from the IATA database that the airlines use.

Warning:

- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward

tickets could be refused entry.

Source: https://www.klm.com/travel/kz_en/prepare_for_travel/travel_planning/travel_clinic/visaform.htm

UJ - what do you make of the following (which I think is new in the IATA database: I do not remember seeing it in the past):

Nationals of United Kingdom are granted a stay of max. 3 months within any 6 months period. Extension possible.

I cannot figure out what it is referring to.

That has been on the site for many years and is wrong. It refers to the 90 days in 6 months rule for visa exempt entries that was done away with in 2008. I think Thailand may of failed to notify them of the change. The extension part was added to it when they started the 30 day extensions for visa exempt entries.

I fly in and out of Thailand about every 6 weeks for the last 8 years and have never been asked by immigration to see a return ticket. If they did ask I could always show them one.

That's because they are only interested in people coming into the country, how people leave is the responsibility of the airlines.

The airlines face heavy fines if they are found to be transporting people who have no intention of leaving, otherwise known as illegal immigrants!

Far too many hipster farangs Think they can scrape together the one way airfare and hope to make a living at a holiday destination as they might have done in their own country, simply overlooking the fact that international law is different to domestic laws.

ThaiVisa is awash with stories of overstay and backpacker buskers on the streets who obviously don't have the means to travel but hope they can wing it.

Unfortunately while the rules are aimed at these people it also affects those of us who have plans to return home to make enough money to come back next year.

Once again, the responsibility for screening undesirables lies with the airlines at point of embarkation. The heavy fines the airlines face are incentive enough to enforce the rules. As I've booked a return ticket the airline knows that without the need to ask me at check-in, if I'd booked a cheap border hop flight with another airline I'm sure they would have asked the question.

Older travellers will remember when airlines didn't check for passports at all, now they ask to see it at several points before boarding the aircraft.

Travel agents in the UK ask for your passport number when taking a booking, it saved wasted effort and embarrassment later, and I'm sure it's possibly because some numpty passenger has sued their travel agent for failing to inform them that they needed a passport.

Edited by ThaiKneeTim

You were extremely lucky to have been allowed to board as you did not have the required onward ticket. All airlines at Narita and Haneda will check for an onward ticket or visa, some will require a minimum of 6 months validity on your passport, even though that is not required by Thai immigration. I have always had my visa or onward ticket checked from Japan for the last 50+ flights.

Just because you purchased a ticket doesn't entitle you to fly. You also have the have the required visa or onward ticket and cash. It is your responsibility to make sure that you meet the entry requirements. It isn't the airline selling you the ticket to hold your hand.

Your responsibility, your problem. Don't try to shift the blame.

As has been said the problems happen at the airport you are flying from, very seldom at Thai immigration.

Airlines have tight profit margins so have to be sure as they can that passengers will be permitted to enter, they can't afford the fines.

• Like 1

i have been flying back and forth from oztraylya over the last 9 years on a monthly basis. 3rd passport.

the only time i have been asked for a return ticket was when i once flew out of Perth with virgin airways, or whatever they call them selves, as i was at the time a gold member they gave me and my two travelling companions no end of grief and flatly refused to let us board, i simply walked outside Perth airport and purchased tickets via my mobile sky scanner app.

this allowed me to board.

i have flown with , Thai airways , scoot, air Asia , tiger, Singapore air, Jetstar and qantas all with one way only flights and got a visa on arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport.

it seems that only virgin ask for a return ticket and that is simply so they can get you to buy a ticket with them.

i refuse to fly virgin now , unless the boss pays for it.

Rob

i have been flying back and forth from oztraylya over the last 9 years on a monthly basis. 3rd passport.

the only time i have been asked for a return ticket was when i once flew out of Perth with virgin airways, or whatever they call them selves, as i was at the time a gold member they gave me and my two travelling companions no end of grief and flatly refused to let us board, i simply walked outside Perth airport and purchased tickets via my mobile sky scanner app.

this allowed me to board.

i have flown with , Thai airways , scoot, air Asia , tiger, Singapore air, Jetstar and qantas all with one way only flights and got a visa on arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport.

it seems that only virgin ask for a return ticket and that is simply so they can get you to buy a ticket with them.

i refuse to fly virgin now , unless the boss pays for it.

Rob

Not just Virgin

My son has been challenged by Air Asia and Malaysian Airline when departing Perth bound for Thailand !

Post advocating Criminal Undertaking removed - with quoted reply

Forum Rule -

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

As I have never flown into Thailand without a visa I can only go by the check in agent going through the passport looking for visa. In my 15 years or so experience, the further away you get from Asia the less likely they are checking for visa or onward flight but it can happen anywhere.

TH

Or you can just change the dates and flight number on your existing ticket to show your "return" or "onward" ticket ...best if its on another airline so they won't bother to check

how do you know they don't check?

been doing it for more than 10 years on all different airlines ... like I said, I don't use the same airline when presenting the fake iteniary and they won't check, don't know how their system works, but other airlines reservation won't show up on their system so....they will just look at the paper copy

Or you can just change the dates and flight number on your existing ticket to show your "return" or "onward" ticket ...best if its on another airline so they won't bother to check

been doing it for more than 10 years on all different airlines ... like I said, I don't use the same airline when presenting the fake iteniary and they won't check, don't know how their system works, but other airlines reservation won't show up on their system so....they will just look at the paper copy

Hummm.

For the big airlines the booking number is often on the same underlying system that most of them use, but the gate agent will usually not bother to cross check if the see an apparently good reservation.

I don't know for sure but almost certainly the supervisor has a computer that can access that database if they really want to.

Hummm.

For the big airlines the booking number is often on the same underlying system that most of them use, but the gate agent will usually not bother to cross check if the see an apparently good reservation.

I don't know for sure but almost certainly the supervisor has a computer that can access that database if they really want to.

I believe they are only able to look it up if its Alliance Airlines and if its on the same reservation number or connecting flights. Other than that, they will not be able to look it up, since its need to know basis and they won't or can't access the other records. Therefore like I said, best to put down a non alliance airline flight iteniary if you are going to make one up. They will ony check your flight date, flight schedules and flight number are always on the website.

I just asked about this topic in another thread and was told if I was entering with a tourist visa or a visa exempt status that most likely I would not need any proof of onward travel? And also, how does this apply for the people that do border runs every 60 - 90 days. Do they have to purchase onward travel tickets every time they do border runs?! If so, that sounds horrible. Sorry for the newbie questions but I am planning on heading to Bkk soon and there is a lot of different info that makes this all very confusing.

I just asked about this topic in another thread and was told if I was entering with a tourist visa or a visa exempt status that most likely I would not need any proof of onward travel? And also, how does this apply for the people that do border runs every 60 - 90 days. Do they have to purchase onward travel tickets every time they do border runs?! If so, that sounds horrible. Sorry for the newbie questions but I am planning on heading to Bkk soon and there is a lot of different info that makes this all very confusing.

It is the airline that may well refuse to permit you to fly if you do not have a visa or an onward ticket.

So if you have a visa no problem.

If you get to immigration it is usually no problem even if you do not have a visa.

If you have had many visa exempt entries immigration can, and sometimes will, ask for proof of onward travel.