Thai woman mysteriously disappears from Din Daeng condo balcony

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"According to Pol. Surin Suksai, a resident on the 9th floor said he witnessed a Thai woman moving past his balcony as she used a rope to rappel down the building. He said she landed on the ground safely and escaped, Thairath reported."

11 story condo = 42m or 139 ft. CTBUH Tall Building Height Calculators:

http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/HeightStatistics/HeightCalculator/OnLineCalculator/tabid/1068/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

and here is 150 feet of rope weighting 12 pounds or 5.4 kilos:

http://www.amazon.com/static-kernmantle-rescue-rappelling-Safety/dp/B00SZFFT80

not including the rest of the gear which looks like this:

https://www.attackopgear.com/product/ORS200.html

but, if she had this in her purse, sorry backpack whistling.gif how did she disconnect the rope she just climbed down?

Climbing ropes comes in various lengths.

The key is that she knew she might need it some day.....

If she did use a rope to repel down,

Curiouser and curiouser! :D

http://www.rei.com/product/884527/maxim-equinox-99mm-x-60m-dry-core-rope

PS I'm old, I seem to recall a max length of 50m back in the day........

Most likely came back inside and is hiding under the bed or in a cupboard.

regards Worgeordie

Read the story again;

1. It's a female, not one of those transformer people and,

2. The male is an "American" not an Indian.

I read the Pattaya news, so I know what's going on when it comes to crime trends. whistling.gif

"having an argument with his girlfriend named "Bua" about her miscarriage"

Is it just me or is there something really @#$%&! up about having an argument with your girlfriend about her miscarriage?

Agree. An argument about her having a miscarrage ? At 05:00 AM ? Strange topic and time to argue about?

WTH?

According to Pol. Surin Suksai, a resident on the 9th floor said he witnessed a Thai woman moving past his balcony as she used a rope to rappel down the building. He said she landed on the ground safely and escaped, Thairath reported.

Where did the rope come from? Not something you just have hanging around...

Not enough info. I run a rock climbing park in northern Thailand. 97% of clients are non-Asian. With few exceptions, Thais and Asians are spooked by any activities which have a danger element. It becomes 10X more evident if at night or in a place with low light (like a cave). Among the very few exceptions: A Thai man visited from Chiang Kong, and claimed he was the first (and only?) Thai to summit Everest. Several times, some hi-so Thais from Bkk will show up and indulge, and have a fine time at the park. Hill Tribers are different than Asians in general, as they're more tuned into nature and more apt to be drawn to adventure sports. Chinese? fogedabowdit.

so if she did go down on a rope, where is the rope? Did the guy on the 9th floor go out and see a rope? Wouldn't it still be there? does it have some sort of auto retract feature like in hokey spy movies?

There is a way to self-belay (and retrieve the rope) using a harness and a rope - twice the length of the height from top to bottom. Yet, there are probably only about a dozen non-farang in Thailand who are capable of doing that, and less than half are female.

My luck she would have fallen and no one would believe my Thai girlfriend would want to repeal down a rope from our 11 th floor condo unless forcefully persuaded.

Climbing down a rope, from an 11th floor condo, at 5.00 am in the morning by a woman who apparently recently suffered a miscarriage; and then vanishing, along with the rope and any traces of the rappel.

What's unbelievable about that?

Not enough info. I run a rock climbing park in northern Thailand. 97% of clients are non-Asian. With few exceptions, Thais and Asians are spooked by any activities which have a danger element. It becomes 10X more evident if at night or in a place with low light (like a cave). Among the very few exceptions: A Thai man visited from Chiang Kong, and claimed he was the first (and only?) Thai to summit Everest. Several times, some hi-so Thais from Bkk will show up and indulge, and have a fine time at the park. Hill Tribers are different than Asians in general, as they're more tuned into nature and more apt to be drawn to adventure sports. Chinese? fogedabowdit.

The first Thai to climb Everest was Vitidnan Rojanapanich in 2008 ( and no, he is not the only one ), but the Chinese succeeded back in 1960, your generalizations are absurd and no doubt only based on your limited experience of Chinese package tourists, a recent survey by Mintel showed that 16% of Chinese tourists were interested in partaking in adrenaline sports whilst on holiday.

so if she did go down on a rope, where is the rope? Did the guy on the 9th floor go out and see a rope? Wouldn't it still be there? does it have some sort of auto retract feature like in hokey spy movies?

There is a way to self-belay (and retrieve the rope) using a harness and a rope - twice the length of the height from top to bottom. Yet, there are probably only about a dozen non-farang in Thailand who are capable of doing that, and less than half are female.

You recon there are only a dozen Thai's who are "capable" of looping a bit of rope around their anchor point tying it onto their harness and using the other end to abseil off? Any reason other than your clear prejudice? Ever watched the Thai army training? Somehow I think there might be just a few more than 12 capable of such a basic maneuver. LOL

"According to Pol. Surin Suksai, a resident on the 9th floor said he witnessed a Thai woman moving past his balcony as she used a rope to rappel down the building. He said she landed on the ground safely and escaped, Thairath reported."

11 story condo = 42m or 139 ft. CTBUH Tall Building Height Calculators:

http://www.ctbuh.org/TallBuildings/HeightStatistics/HeightCalculator/OnLineCalculator/tabid/1068/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

and here is 150 feet of rope weighting 12 pounds or 5.4 kilos:

http://www.amazon.com/static-kernmantle-rescue-rappelling-Safety/dp/B00SZFFT80

not including the rest of the gear which looks like this:

https://www.attackopgear.com/product/ORS200.html

but, if she had this in her purse, sorry backpack whistling.gif how did she disconnect the rope she just climbed down?

You would need a 300 foot rope, and loop the middle over or around a secure object... Rappel down the doubled rope, then Pull the free end down afterwards.... Standard climbing practice.

I have seen this method of "escape" from multi story apartments in a couple of third world cities, although not from that height.... And if these people had such equipment for emergency evacuation, then obviously the partner ( and all the close neighbors) would know about it.

That said... In secret... Its good cat burglar equipment too., and the woman could be in any lower room, or have left the building via a lower floor room/ elevator, if she found an open balcony door

There will definitely be more interesting posts to come.

The first Thai to climb Everest was Vitidnan Rojanapanich in 2008 ( and no, he is not the only one ), but the Chinese succeeded back in 1960, your generalizations are absurd and no doubt only based on your limited experience of Chinese package tourists, a recent survey by Mintel showed that 16% of Chinese tourists were interested in partaking in adrenaline sports whilst on holiday.

White guys generalising about Asians...when have I heard that one before??

Ever watched the Thai army training? Somehow I think there might be just a few more than 12 capable of such a basic maneuver. LOL

coffee1.gif

Yes! maybe but! but how many of these Thai army abseiling wallahs are female and just suffered from a miscarriage,plus wouldn't the boyfriend have enquired about the few miles of rope hanging around on the balcony