Roundabout Jomtien

sandgroper2

"no more accident than the rest of the junctions all over Thailand,"

There are no stats on this, so, make something else up. ( lay off the Chang)

No worries.

I will leave this thread now.

You carry on.

You have a nice day beatdeadhorse.gif

i am going to enter this post under your other ongoing thread about good news in pattaya/Jomtien.

Good news indeed

Driving on the left and giving way to traffic on the left makes absolutely zero sense.

The roundabout could become full up <deleted>, then where would we be?

<chortle re deleted non profanic term>

Edited by BaldPlumber

The trafffic lights at Chayapruek work OK ? So why is there no lights at Watboon ?

I don't know.

Despite what some people will have you believe.

The traffic lights were never fully installed and working as a four way junction.

Also peoples exaggeration over alleged amount of accidents at this junction, is just that, prior to the roundabouts installation. no more accident than the rest of the junctions all over Thailand, that are just the same.

Like you said it works fine down the road at Chaypuke 1 and all over Thailand.

so who knows.

It just comes back to money i would say, not safety. whistling.gif

Sorry but you are incorrect. The traffic lights at Watboon were working as intended for perhaps three months or a little longer. However there were a number of accidents - not sure if there were any deaths or not.

Then they put in a bit of a chicane to slow the traffic flow across Watboon heading west. This was in place for only a matter of weeks and then they fully blocked Watboon for a very long time while they replaced (again) the drainage at the eastern side of the intersection. The traffic lights were turned off and they also closed off the u-turns that were closest to the intersection.

When the new drains were finished after a very lengthy period, they opened up the intersection and for a few days (maybe a week?) the traffic lights were functioning as normal. There were a few accidents within a few days and somebody got killed.

Then almost immediately they constructed the roundabout, which was initially a little small. They revisited it a few times over the course of a week and finally left it as it now is.

"no more accident than the rest of the junctions all over Thailand,"

There are no stats on this, so, make something else up. ( lay off the Chang)

No worries.

I will leave this thread now.

You carry on.

You have a nice day beatdeadhorse.gif

i am going to enter this post under your other ongoing thread about good news in pattaya/Jomtien.

Good news indeed

You said you were going to leave this thread now. More disinformation.

Driving on the left and giving way to traffic on the left makes absolutely zero sense.

Are you serious? Hand in your license and keep off the road.

Are you serious? Hand in your license and keep off the road.

Of course I'm serious, you think driving on the left hand side and giving way to traffic on your left is correct?

Have you had any training or taken a driving test?

When approaching a roundabout, when driving in a left hand drive country, the traffic already on the roundabout ie traffic to your right has priority. What the traffic already on the roundabout does not do, or should not do, is stop to give way to traffic entering the roundabout ie traffic to their left.

Countless references on Google and a very clearly understood procedure. Go educate yourself.

Had many accidents at all?

Maybe they need to set up some big screens in the middle of the roundabout and play that video on a 24 hour loop

the screens would be broken or stolen in a few months but at least some drivers might have grasped the theory by then rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The Main problem with all the roundabouts in thailand I have seen is the construction. There are no real lanes or paint to show where to go. And the one at dolphin circle is way too small. If they made it much bigger, traffic would flow fine. But that would mean actually doing proper construction.

Roundabouts will never catch on in Thailand because they depend on drivers being aware of other road users.

Udon Thani has 3 or 4 roundabouts in the town center & surprisingly they work - sort off!

Went over this roundabout a couple of days ago. Clear signs on approach, plus big signs in the middle. Still people panicking and stopping mid-roundabout & others approaching at high speed and pushing onto the roundabout, without giving way.

I don't think it's an issue of people not being able to read but more they can't be arsed stopping, me first attitude etc.

I have just had a thai english professor of english translate the roundabout sign for me. It states, as near as he can translate into English.

" Treat roundabout same same intersection with traffic lights, all on green. "

Did he buy his professor certificate online?! Edited by DMC1

• 1 month later...

The sign says ( black lettering ) City of Pattaya is conducting a test of the roundabout

(red lettering) let vehicles on the roundabout go first.

attachicon.giftest.jpg

So the text means that vehicles can go first in the roundabout? So this is not a roundabout following international guidelines ?

I drive a car but I always try to wait for bikes coming from the right, but many of them seem to wait for me. I will forget it and just remind myself that I am the VIP since I drive a car.....you all have to wait ... smile.png

No the text means let vehicle's that are already on the roundabout go first or in other words vehicle's already on the roundabout have right of way....and yes they should be coming from the right...but maybe sometimes not !

• 2 months later...

No recent complaints here about Thai's inability to use roundabouts properly.

Coming to Immigration yesterday I approached along Jomtien 2nd road, from the Sukhumvit end, and enjoyed 2 minute waits at the junctions controlled by traffic lights on either side of the roundabout junction but flew through the roundabout with a mere 2 second halt to allow traffic from the right to pass and no problems whatsoever.

Seems the Thai's are managing to cope pretty well with this one and it seems to me that a lot of congestion in other areas could be avoided if they put in a few more in place of the infernal traffic lights.

I now have no problem with this roundabout as I'm now just as indecisive as the Thais,

it seems to be much appreciated by the locals.

Bit worried about about driving back in the UK, they may not be so appreciative.