Thaivisa members, a reflection of expatriates here ?

Bobotie

To go back to the OP - No. Thaivisa is not even close to being an accurate reflection of expats in Thailand. The expats I actually know in real life are by and large a happy, broadminded bunch, most of whom have little or no interest in this forum at all.

I think there are a couple of factors at play here. Many find the relentless negativity, bigoted opinions and focus on the sex trade off-putting. Also, forums as a whole are a rather old-fashioned thing these days, so tend to attract an older demographic - younger expats are generally using other forms of social media instead. For a different view of expat life in Thailand, check out some of the facebook groups, or twitter hashtags like #thailand or #bangkok.

Err... what? Of course this forum is a reflection of so called "expats" either living or have lived in Thailand.

plus a few clowns who have never been to Thailand but are arrogant enough to judge the country laugh.png

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Asheron
"I'm not saying that Thailand is unique for this as crap like this has already been introduced in european countries."
Which European countries have introduced this "c*ap" ?
Let us hope you have taught (not thought) the children a richer vocabulary than you seem capable of using.
Have you also taught the children not to start sentences with conjunctions and the importance of appropriate Capitalisation ?
Did you also teach the children to read/write Thai ?
NB
What are "kinder gardens" ? Clearly I am in need of some of your "edukashon" smile.png

Who put sand in your vagina?

If you are going to go full retard about my spelling maybe you should first make sure to know that you do not end a sentence with a SPACE between the last letter and question mark (nor period etc).

Hurry now to the nearest toilet and clean your vagina of that sand.

What a disgustingly objectionable person you seem to be.

Get caught and therefore lash out with obscenity?

Is that how you teach your children to behave ?

Lets hope you are kept well away from other peoples children.

By the way ----- Do you mean a "full stop" when talking about a 'period' or are you an edentulous Red Neck living in trailer ? smile.png

Awwww, did my reply give you more sand?

It's quite pathetic to involve someones children into a discussion. Be a good 150 kg shemale now and continue to be the keyboard hero warrior of TV :)

And it's quiet amazing that you still can't end a sentence without a [space] between the last letter and question mark.

It's a reflection mainly of a small subset of expats. It really isn't representative of the full spectrum of expat life at all.

i [not so] humbly beg to differ. ten years of Thaivisa forum gives you a rather good idea of the spectrum's range.

The OP will be delighted to learn of the existence of "asheron" who appears to be just the kind of obnoxious person he suspected to find existing on a forum such as this.

At least the Thais get a rest whilst the venom is directed elsewhere !

NB

He has been added to the ignore list !

It's a reflection mainly of a small subset of expats. It really isn't representative of the full spectrum of expat life at all.

i [not so] humbly beg to differ. ten years of Thaivisa forum gives you a rather good idea of the spectrum's range.

Really, though?

I mean, there are barely any women posting here, or people under 40. How can that be representing the full range of expats.

Asheron

"I'm not saying that Thailand is unique for this as crap like this has already been introduced in european countries."

Let us hope you have taught (not thought) the children a richer vocabulary than you seem capable of using.

Have you also taught the children not to start sentences with conjunctions and the importance of appropriate Capitalisation ?

NB

What are "kinder gardens" ? Clearly I am in need of some of your "edukashon" smile.png

Uncalled for post.

He recognised that his kids weren't getting a good education and taught them outside school, and took them back home. Very admirable.

Direct your comments at those who know the system is sh'te but don't do anything about it. These are the worst type of parents..

Edited by huawei

Asheron

NB

Uncalled for post.

He recognised that his kids weren't getting a good education and taught them outside school, and took them back home. Very admirable.

Direct your comments at those who know the system is sh'te but don't do anything about it. These are the worst type of parents..

I guess...you expect too much from some....they cant be helped...just laugh about comments like his...or shake your head.

Really, though?

I mean, there are barely any women posting here, or people under 40. How can that be representing the full range of expats.

25 years visiting numerous times as tourist plus 11 years resident in Thailand gives me the right to claim that the number of women and young people is negligible as far as this topic is concerned.

Really, though?

25 years visiting numerous times as tourist plus 11 years resident in Thailand gives me the right to claim that the number of women and young people is negligible as far as this topic is concerned.

The fact that most of the expats I know here are under 40 and/or female gives me the right to tell you you're talking nonsense.

They're here, even if many of you never meet them.

TVF attracts many people who have a specific problem which they need help with: visa, home improvement, farming, legal, housing, gardening, etc. It also attracts many people who have adjusted poorly to Thailand, and use TVF as a refuge. Some lack language skills, social skills, cultural sensitivity skills, or financial management skills.

But the same can be said of nearly every other expatriate website, regardless of the country. And yet, when you compare TVF forum to other expatriate websites in other countries, you simply do not find the same level of negativity about the host country as you do on TVF. So this does beg the question: 'How come?'

I have thought about this a lot. When you examine Thailand's expatriate community two things leap out immediately: it is overwhelmingly male, and a very high percentage of the men have been or are in romantic/marital relationships with Thai women. More than anything else, this probably differentiates Thailand's expatriate community from other expatriate communities.

When these relationships fail, a great deal of emotional and financial devastation often occurs, so it should come as no surprise that some guys become very bitter and cynical in the aftermath. This is why you see so much negativity towards Thai women voiced here, and in many cases this bitterness and rancor permanently poisons the guy's perspective of all things Thai. Because many of these expatriate man/Thai woman relationships are incubated in beer bars and similar venues, I believe that the high level of negativity on TVF can be directly traced back to Thailand's sex industry.

I also think that the management of TVF bears some responsiblity for fostering a tone of negativity towards Thais and Thailand. The Thailand news forum in particular seems to delight in posting articles which lampoon and seemingly invite members to belittle Thais and Thailand. I think this negative tone spills over into other forums as well.

Believe it or not, I actually think that the level of negativity has been toned down somewhat over the past couple of years. To the credit of TVF members, wanton Thai-bashing no longer seems to be as in vogue as it has been in years past.

Edited by Gecko123

No, not a true reflection and ,yes, you are reading too much into the topics and comments.smile.png Then again what do I know, I have only been living here for forty years and don't hangout in bars.coffee1.gif

i really dont see what "hanging out in bars" has to do with much of anything, or even what it means.

i have only half your time here and have certainly had my share of cocktails.

i most certainly frequent bars, most people do have a drink from time to time. I did back in the other hemisphere and i cant see why i wouldnt here.

there is something unpleasantly puritan about the way you put it.

It sure as hell isn't representative of me.

I read TV for the same reason I would watch a train wreck. Morbid curiosity.

We have a word for that in French: "EXUTOIRE", I'm no sure that the translation in English "outlet" is correct. It means that when you are angry against your wife, husband, dog, teenager, you tell that you'd kill him / her but indeed you love him / her. The fact to have a place (like Thaivisa regarding Thailand) to tell "I'd kill him / her" is important and a kind of therapy to make you love him / her even more.

Really, though?

The fact that most of the expats I know here are under 40 and/or female gives me the right to tell you you're talking nonsense.

They're here, even if many of you never meet them.

I also think the maturity level of woman and most posters under 40 on here is just much higher than many older habitual posters. A lot of interesting newbies try to break into TVF and are attacked by a bunch of old depressed Soi dogs or are labeled a troll instantly. They have no reason to try and contribute again. Some new blood on here would be great but as mentioned earlier Facebook and Twitter are much more appealing and often much more accepting. It's too bad. Every once in a while however some 70 something guy comes on here and tells about some amazing experience he just had and I really love those posts. I look up to people like that and hope I can be that cool when I get to my 70's. Those posts are sometimes ridiculed on here too which is just plain ignorant.

Edited by alex8912

You must not interpret those 'negative' comments you read as always being bitterness. That's the wrong word.

I'm from the Uk, but I think what I say applies to most westerners and Aussies etc.

To us living here, the legal system, the way the police act, or don't act, the 'rules of the road' (non-existant) the belief in re-incarnation that makes death matter of fact, the aboslute obsession with money, and so on and so on,are often so bizzare and unbelievable that such stories generate 'negative' comments.

That is always going to happen. There's little that can be done, other than to only portray good news stories on this site.

I find many of the comments witty, helpful and generally intersting to read. Unfortunately some threads can go off at a tangent and you get bi-lateral slanging matches. That's when I switch off.

I joined Thaivisa a few months back in the hope of obtaining relevant information about life in Thailand and after reading the just about every thread and post on Thaivisa, I cant help concluding there are some very bitter and very unhappy expats living in Thailand who appear for all intents and purposes to hate Thailand as a country and treat the Thai people with contempt and hatred, but yet this is a country they have chosen to live in...its bizzare and disturbing at the same time...

So the question is ?.....

Is the Thai visa membership who post their venom about Thailand on these forums, a true reflection of the type of expatriates who resides in the Kingdom of Thailand or am I reading too much into the the topics and comments posted on Thaivisa and its limited to a few very bitter individuals or are a lot of expatriates living in Thailand who are sour very bitter people who hate everything associated with Thailand including its people ?

I love the place to come and go but not live full time .

I complain yes I do , the drivers but most Thais are great to me not my country not my problem but I did not put all my money in to thailand likes lots of man here , I have a home to go back to and I hop and I think I have a good thai lady now but time will tell .

No.. This forum tho, is full of bitter farangs.. I just laugh each time they come out with obusured rants ! Funniest thing is most still live here. While blaming everyone else with there choices in life..

No.. This forum tho, is full of bitter farangs.. I just laugh each time they come out with obusured rants ! Funniest thing is most still live here. While blaming everyone else with there choices in life..

I joined Thaivisa a few months back in the hope of obtaining relevant information about life in Thailand and after reading the just about every thread and post on Thaivisa, I cant help concluding there are some very bitter and very unhappy expats living in Thailand who appear for all intents and purposes to hate Thailand as a country and treat the Thai people with contempt and hatred, but yet this is a country they have chosen to live in...its bizzare and disturbing at the same time...

So the question is ?.....

Is the Thai visa membership who post their venom about Thailand on these forums, a true reflection of the type of expatriates who resides in the Kingdom of Thailand or am I reading too much into the the topics and comments posted on Thaivisa and its limited to a few very bitter individuals or are a lot of expatriates living in Thailand who are sour very bitter people who hate everything associated with Thailand including its people ?

I love the place to come and go but not live full time .

I complain yes I do , the drivers but most Thais are great to me not my country not my problem but I did not put all my money in to thailand likes lots of man here , I have a home to go back to and I hop and I think I have a good thai lady now but time will tell .

A good Thai lady.. Well that translates to any female or man...

No it's not a true reflection of expats.

There are a lot more expats here than Thai Visa members. And many they don't write nor read.

So you might read some quotes but don't think too much. Enjoy your life, catch up with friends aso.

For information what's going on in Thiland and around I think Thai Visa is excellent.

"Thainess" = passive-aggressive mentality.

Thais, in general, are xenophobic and atavistic....("...we are Siamese if you please; we are Siamese if you don't please").

6 years in the kingdom allowed me to love many Thais; 'jai dee' exists in abundance, but the people are trapped in a trifecta of control by the three 'M's: Monastery, Military, and Monarchy.......they have no chance in the modern world of hi-tech, cultural pluralism. ...just IMO

It sure as hell isn't representative of me.

I read TV for the same reason I would watch a train wreck. Morbid curiosity.

Then for sure you cannot sort stuff..........There are many folk like that....That think all roads are straight.....Of course all roads are not straight.......smile.png

I'm honestly not sure what you mean.....

I know all roads are not straight :-) My life is goes in a few different directions at once most of the time.

I just pick the one that looks like it will be the most fun.

The difference I think between me, and the typical grumpy TVF members, is that I am an eternal optimist.

I've been rich and now I'm not, but I am setting up a new business in Thailand and I am confident that I will be rich again.

Life is good.

TVF attracts many people who have a specific problem which they need help with: visa, home improvement, farming, legal, housing, gardening, etc. It also attracts many people who have adjusted poorly to Thailand, and use TVF as a refuge. Some lack language skills, social skills, cultural sensitivity skills, or financial management skills.

But the same can be said of nearly every other expatriate website, regardless of the country. And yet, when you compare TVF forum to other expatriate websites in other countries, you simply do not find the same level of negativity about the host country as you do on TVF. So this does beg the question: 'How come?'

I have thought about this a lot. When you examine Thailand's expatriate community two things leap out immediately: it is overwhelmingly male, and a very high percentage of the men have been or are in romantic/marital relationships with Thai women. More than anything else, this probably differentiates Thailand's expatriate community from other expatriate communities.

When these relationships fail, a great deal of emotional and financial devastation often occurs, so it should come as no surprise that some guys become very bitter and cynical in the aftermath. This is why you see so much negativity towards Thai women voiced here, and in many cases this bitterness and rancor permanently poisons the guy's perspective of all things Thai. Because many of these expatriate man/Thai woman relationships are incubated in beer bars and similar venues, I believe that the high level of negativity on TVF can be directly traced back to Thailand's sex industry.

I also think that the management of TVF bears some responsiblity for fostering a tone of negativity towards Thais and Thailand. The Thailand news forum in particular seems to delight in posting articles which lampoon and seemingly invite members to belittle Thais and Thailand. I think this negative tone spills over into other forums as well.

Believe it or not, I actually think that the level of negativity has been toned down somewhat over the past couple of years. To the credit of TVF members, wanton Thai-bashing no longer seems to be as in vogue as it has been in years past.

Like this Gecko,yes at times on this site i have been guiltyof this,i think you touch on all the reasons why this attitude crops up,except maybe that the culture is so alien to ours,now being involved with a Philippino lady,and having visited there,i find the culture there much more readily accessible to a western person why; a lot of people speak english,my Lady speaks excellent english,the script is in roman script,not a heap of squiggly lines,the native language [tagalog at least] is much easier than Thai,having been colonised by the Spanish then America,they have a better understanding of the world,not Thailand no 1 country in world,i also do not find the same racism i do here,like Kon Thai is superior to everyone,in a word this place is too insular and inward looking,to ever get anywhere,in 20 years i can see it as a decaying relic,whilst other se asian nations surge way ahead.The last thing i would add is,look at the perception of a country map,you will find it on google,while the Uk is perceived for cream teas,i won,t mention what Thailand is perceived for,look at the map.

"Just about every thread and post" ?

I doubt that very much as that would take(probably) several years.

As for the "there are some very bitter and very unhappy expats living in Thailand", given the size of the community that doesnt surprise me at all. I dare say you will find that in ANY community of similar size and demagraphic.

Perhaps it is you have just chosen to focus on the negative, couple that with the fact that some dont post what they actually believe, but what will get the best result/response to their own agenda.

"Just about, a lot, many"...semantics only...I never claimed to have read all, I appears your reading things too literally, I inferred I have read a lot, I apologise If i have never kept a precise record of exactly how many

regarding your second point...this is exactly why I ask the question, I have spent the whole of my working life working and living in many different countries among fellow expatriates and never in all my years did I encounter the amount of venom regarding our host countries as I have seen posted by various member's of Thaivisa about Thailand and its people

I have not focused on any negative aspect in the least, as I stated I have read a lot of posts on this forum in an attempt to formulate an informed opinion and the conclusion I have drawn seems to conclude sadly there are a lot of bitter people posting on Thaivisa, therefore I posted my question to seek additional opinions...I have no agenda other than to gain information and seek opinions so I can make informed decisions that's all

Hello...I have visited LOS many times over the past decade, and lived here a bit more than a year...I must say that your impressions are correct...many bitter people here...

And...I do think that the Thai Visa membership is very representative of the farang population here...keep in mind that any population has variation...for a minority of people, Thailand has been a paradise, fulfilling their dreams and desires, whatever they may be...for another minority, Thailand has been a disaster...

Keep in mind that people are far more likely to voice their anger and frustration, rather than their happiness...

for most of us, if we were honest, Thailand has been somewhat of a disappointment...but the realism sets in, and we find the best in our respective situations...my list of complaints about Thailand is long and significant...my list of compliments is a bit longer...and that is why I have decided to remain...

I think it depends how long you've live here and your experiences here, when I came here 16 years ago I hear many people speak bad about Thailand and Thai people and I said why you feel like this and they said to me wait until you been here a few years and you will feel the same way. they were right but its better than the alternative.