Hanoi vs HCM

There was a report last month (maybe 2 months ago) that someone was refused a visa at HCMC with no explanation offered. I was there about 2 months ago and got a tourist visa with no problem. But for HCMC, they want bank statements and proof of onward travel (leaving Thailand). Strangely, they so wanted so see my tickets flying into Thailand from Vietnam.

There was a report last month (maybe 2 months ago) that someone was refused a visa at HCMC with no explanation offered. I was there about 2 months ago and got a tourist visa with no problem. But for HCMC, they want bank statements and proof of onward travel (leaving Thailand). Strangely, they so wanted so see my tickets flying into Thailand from Vietnam.

Yes I think we can discount that report in hcmc. No real explanation was offered. Strangely some time ago all hcmc wanted to see was flight INTO Thailand. The previous post would be correct as recently in another thread the flight out and funds were needed. Make sure the flight bookings are hard copy print outs. Hcmc is chilled city and consulate not busy. Cheaper to fly there

About a year ago I got a Thailand Tourist Visa in HCMC but they would only give me a single entry plus I had to show them an airline ticket out of Thailand. That day I bought the cheapest I could get which was Bangkok to Singapore which from memory cost me 2500 THB and was never used. So I wouldn't use HCMC again.

Hanoi used to do double entry. No longer available anywhere. As for flight onward I just did quick search. Many 950baht fares. Hcmc from bkk was one.

Thanks Jacksam,

Just to understand what is required at HCMC for single TV:

1. Flight tickets out of Thailand - I am assuming this must be within the period covered by the Visa being issued - is this correct?.
  2. Bank statement - Do you have to show a certain amount of funds? - And is this for a specific currency?
  3. Show the actual physical flight ticket that you used to get you into Vietnam - Good to know since I usually dispose of these at the airport.
  • Is accommodation proof / documentation required?
  • Also what flight agregator site are you using to show 950 THB for the BKK>HCMC - I searched NokAir/Vietnam.Airasia but got higher prices

Thanks

Hanoi used to do double entry. No longer available anywhere. As for flight onward I just did quick search. Many 950baht fares. Hcmc from bkk was one.

Thanks Jacksam,

Just to understand what is required at HCMC for single TV:

• Flight tickets out of Thailand - I am assuming this must be within the period covered by the Visa being issued - is this correct?.
  • Bank statement - Do you have to show a certain amount of funds? - And is this for a specific currency?
  • Show the actual physical flight ticket that you used to get you into Vietnam - Good to know since I usually dispose of these at the airport.
  • Is accommodation proof / documentation required?
  • Also what flight agregator site are you using to show 950 THB for the BKK>HCMC - I searched NokAir/Vietnam.Airasia but got higher prices
Thanks

You can check the consulate website for HCMC. They generally answer the phone as well so it would be best to call them to ask for up to date information.

The ticket leaving Thailand needs to be within the time frame of the visa, and of course there is a minimum fund requirement. 20 baht in your bank won't suffice. I don't remember what the exact required amount was.

They don't ask for proof of accommodation. But again, better to call and double check. Things change all the time.

• Like 1

Just returned from Hanoi after getting SETV .expected to have to provide 4 foto's etc as per their site but was pleased to find that the Hotel I booked into said they could do it for me.

All they wanted was 1 foto, passport and 55U$ so that gave us extra time to do the tourist bit.

Nice Hotel just refurbished extremely helpful staff resonable price - Ha Noi Old Quarter Hotel.

Have an email address for anyone who wants to book direct and not having to pay booking fees

• Like 2

Also the fact that for 5 nights it did not cost that much more than the overnight trip to Vientiane. Cheap flight with Jetstar (not recommended if you are over 4'6'') but only an 1hr 40 to put up with it and Halong Bay is a must see when there.

• Like 1

I just got back from Hanoi. What an amazing place, both Sapa and Halong Bay. I got a visa on arrival, however, Vietnam has a little scam going on now to make extra money and you must get an approval letter beforehand. I flew on VietJet going there and AirAsia coming back and neither asked to see my return tickets. You also don't need a bank statement if you get the visa on arrival but make sure you bring the cash with you because there are no ATM's around the immigration. Anyhow, good luck! You can google approval letter for Vietnam and you will get a load of different companies doing them. Here is the cheapest I found.

http://www.vietnamvisapro.com

I just got back from Hanoi. What an amazing place, both Sapa and Halong Bay. I got a visa on arrival, however, Vietnam has a little scam going on now to make extra money and you must get an approval letter beforehand. I flew on VietJet going there and AirAsia coming back and neither asked to see my return tickets. You also don't need a bank statement if you get the visa on arrival but make sure you bring the cash with you because there are no ATM's around the immigration. Anyhow, good luck! You can google approval letter for Vietnam and you will get a load of different companies doing them. Here is the cheapest I found.

http://www.vietnamvisapro.com

Having a visa to enter vietnam must be issued prior to departing for Vietnam or letter of approval obtained online. This is not a scam. Its remarkable that the airline let you on plane and moreso that Viet immigration didn't refuse entry.

No scam. Look at rules

• Like 1

Depending on your passport you do not need a letter of approval for a free visa on arrival which lasts for 15 days this is a trial by Immi which will be reviewed in June of this year. Have just done this on UK passport, very quiet no queue's, brand new Airport and very friendly.

Yes UK and some other nationalities are give 15 day visa exempt. Same as stamp thailand give to many counties. As does Japan etc etc. It is not a visa

Edited by jacksam

What flight agregator site are you using to show 950 THB for the BKK>HCMC ?

What flight agregator site are you using to show 950 THB for the BKK>HCMC ?

I am curious about this also. I have occasionally seen such low fares in the past, but right now the cheapest seems to be Air Asia at 1,390 baht. (The Nok Air 890 baht fare does not include taxes, and is actually more expensive.)