Chinese cruise ship sinks off Laem Chabang port

rooster59

Chinese cruise ship sinks off Laem Chabang port

post-247607-0-92814900-1456584539_thumb.

SRI RACHA: Chinese cruise ship "Ocean Dream" , anchored off Laem Chanang port in Sri Racha for over a year, sank into the sea today, raising fear by Thai environmental authorities that it could cause pollution in the sea.

The cruise ship which was abandoned in Chonburi sea by its Chinese owner was seen to take in water yesterday by fishermen.

Fishermen immediately reported the cruise ship to authorities of the Marine Department’s Marine Safety Centre, as it was inclining to the left side.

Authorities immediately coordinated with the Chinese owner to stabilise the vessel back to its position, and were working out a plan to have it fixed today.

However the inclining vessel later sank off about two kilometres off the Laem Chabang coast.

But the water at the sunken site is not deep, the vessel could be seen submerged with its side above the water.

Commander of the Navy First Fleet Vice Admiral Rangsarit Satayanukul later today ordered a Navy plane to fly to the scene to see if the vessel would leak out oil or not as he feared it could pose environmental threat.

According to Fleet Mon which tracks ships in seven seas, the Chinese cruise ship Ocean Dream is anchored at Laem Chabang port for more than a year.

The ship was to depart for cruise in China, but instead, was anchored off the Laem Chabang coast and seemed to be abandoned and with no crew and due maintenance.

The owner was asked to move the ship somewhere out from Thai waters, but no confirmation received so far, that the owner is going to do anything.

The ship as it is, in her present condition, seems to be a threat to shipping and ecology, she may simply capsize in fresh weather, judging from photos.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152733

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-27

Chinese way of dumping rusty scrap?

Mooring for a year blink.png

Another stunning story

Good luck with recovering this scrap.

Smaller version of "Costa Concordia" wink.png

http://www.newsmaritime.com/2016/abandoned-cruise-ship-ocean-dream-capsized-and-sank-off-thailand/

The cruise ship Ocean Dream (IMO: 7211517) has overall length of 163.00 m, moulded beam of 24.00 m and maximum draft of 7.00 m. The deadweight of the vessel is 2,352 DWT and the gross tonnage is 17,042 GRT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Dream_%281972_ship%29

A report from 2 days ago!

See the hole blink.png

A foreseeable disaster. Negligence at its worst (or criminal intent).

https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2016/11631/ghost-ship-laem-chabang-road-cruise-ship-ocean-dre/

That ship has had a very colourful life with 11 owners since 1972.

• Like 2

And of course neither the Thai authorities nor the Chinese owners will take responsibility. Could it be (perish the thought)this watery grave was no accident?

Cruise ship disasters of one sort or another seem to happen almost monthly regardless of the flag under which they sail. There are attorneys who specialize almost exclusively in suing on behalf of people injured, killed, gone missing or taken ill aboard cruise ships. Greed and disavowing resposibility are hardly unique to China or Thailand.

Edited by Rimmer
JPG removed, nothing to do with tourist accident lawyers
  • Like 2

I have a question to the authorities..... So much attention given to checking and confiscating foreign owned vessels in Phuket.

Here this big Steel Elephant floating for a year off shore, visible to all was not checked.....doesnt that show negligence or someone getting paid off to ignore????

Hmmmmm FACE LOST.... use FACEBOOK

This would have made an epic wreck dive if it had been sunk in the right place. Now it will cost a truly huge amount to refloat and move, and good luck to the Thais on getting any money out of the Chinese owners.

Easy, just slap a tax on air fares from China?

A master piece of Thai-Chinese cooperation. An open door just above the waterline, no crew, no maintenance and probably no lights. Such a situation is screaming for disaster. How could the Thai authorities watch this for a year with no action?

if I remember right, according to international maritime law anyone who throws the first line to a ship in distress at sea (which is obviously the case) and given up by the captain (certainly) has the right to claim ownership of the vessel. Hence, the Thai authorities could have claimed the wreck a long time ago, tow it to a shipyard and sell it as scrap metal.

Now I'm looking forward to the fruit,- and successful cooperation between these two great nations building a high speed railway.

I'm pretty sure international maritime law only applies outside of waters under national jurisdiction.

Good luck with recovering this scrap.

Smaller version of "Costa Concordia" wink.png

http://www.newsmaritime.com/2016/abandoned-cruise-ship-ocean-dream-capsized-and-sank-off-thailand/

The cruise ship Ocean Dream (IMO: 7211517) has overall length of 163.00 m, moulded beam of 24.00 m and maximum draft of 7.00 m. The deadweight of the vessel is 2,352 DWT and the gross tonnage is 17,042 GRT.

I use to work on cruise ship mate... not Carvical which Costa was from but different company and I can tell you that Costa Concordia story was nothing like this one.

This was tragedy and 32 people died... Complete disaster and filing of crew and officers on board of this vessel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia_disaster

• Like 1

And of course neither the Thai authorities nor the Chinese owners will take responsibility. Could it be (perish the thought)this watery grave was no accident?

I rekon the Chinese have donated a new fishing reef and tourist attraction for Pattaya.Can only enhance Pattaya's reputation as the family holiday destination.

• Like 1

Only in Thailand would the port and maritime authorities will allow an abandoned ship to just rust away

not far for shipping and commercial lines... why? because this is Thailand, 'will cross the bridge when

we get to it they say', 'why do today what we can do next month?' plan a head? forward thinking? preventive

maintenance? don't make me laugh, this is Thailand, we don't do this things here....

Another Thailand-bashing post ...

There are abandoned ships and aeroplanes all around the World. Shipping companies, cruise operators and holding companies gone bust or without funds to operate and maintain. It is not a simple (nor inexpensive) matter to remove a ship (or aeroplane) without owners consent.

This ship is now a 'wreck' and appropriate Maritime law of salvage may be applied.

Chinese bashing, too!! Why would the Thai authorities know Maritime Law? 11 owners since 1972--wow!

A master piece of Thai-Chinese cooperation. An open door just above the waterline, no crew, no maintenance and probably no lights. Such a situation is screaming for disaster. How could the Thai authorities watch this for a year with no action?

if I remember right, according to international maritime law anyone who throws the first line to a ship in distress at sea (which is obviously the case) and given up by the captain (certainly) has the right to claim ownership of the vessel. Hence, the Thai authorities could have claimed the wreck a long time ago, tow it to a shipyard and sell it as scrap metal.

Now I'm looking forward to the fruit,- and successful cooperation between these two great nations building a high speed railway.

With a high speed railway, Totally unecessary, built and maintained Thailand and China, as sure as hell I won't risk my life on it.