Access to Medical Treatment in EU

An 83 yr old guy is worried about his health he asked me if he Can he get Euro medical card if he moves to an EU country he has 3 passports and ex Army of each Country,

that is Australia ,New Zealand,UK has been living 15 yrs all round Thailand, Vietnam travelling back and forth to Australia he has also travelled around China.Previous to this he lived in Australia and has Medicare card ,

He hasn't been to UK for 50 yrs! So just wanted to give him any advice on what Medical Access /Card available to him please

POMCHOB

Edited by POMCHOB

I think the gent would/will experience great difficulty in securing a European or UK card. Treatment other than Emergency care (which in some European countries would have to be paid for) would be almost impossible to obtain unless he could meet the costs either via insurance or his own resource.

I speak only about the UK and Europe in general.

Perhaps Australia would be his best option if he already has a Medicare card.

I think the gent would/will experience great difficulty in securing a European or UK card. Treatment other than Emergency care (which in some European countries would have to be paid for) would be almost impossible to obtain unless he could meet the costs either via insurance or his own resource.

I speak only about the UK and Europe in general.

Perhaps Australia would be his best option if he already has a Medicare card.

Hi Sunnyjim,

thanks for taking time to reply, i will provide the Gent with your advice advice,

POMCHOB

As a British citizen he needs only arrive in the UK and declare that he has taken up permanent residence in order to avail himself of the full services of our glorious NHS :-)

Tell him to come home, nanny will not turn him away from the care he needs.

As a British citizen he needs only arrive in the UK and declare that he has taken up permanent residence in order to avail himself of the full services of our glorious NHS :-)

I am sure you are correct, however, you will have noted that the gent has had no connection with the UK for over 50 years!

Unless the old man can claim to be a asylum seeker he will experience great difficulty in securing any assistance if he chooses to return to a country where he would be a stranger.

I am sure you are correct, however, you will have noted that the gent has had no connection with the UK for over 50 years!

Unless the old man can claim to be a asylum seeker he will experience great difficulty in securing any assistance if he chooses to return to a country where he would be a stranger.

You're spot on, GuestHouse is correct.

It depends on his nationality, the OP doesn't say which nationality he is.

If by chance he holds UK Citizenship then, as GuestHouse rightly says, he can return to the UK and if he can satisfy the authorities that he has returned to take up residence, then he's entitled to free NHS care from day one.

The fact he's not been in the UK for 50 years is neither here or there, if he was a UK citizen when he left then he's still a UK citizen when he returns, his citizenship doesn't expire.

The asylum seeker comment is a red herring, you can't claim asylum in your own country.