Ignorance about the Third Gender

My problem with these people is that they took a word "gay" and distorted its original meaning to one indicating sexual deviancy.

I wonder where gay ​in the gay context came from and when. The '60s I think. In the '50s I lived next door to a family the surname being Parsons , the youngest daughter was called Gay. I bet she wished she had been Christened , Jim, John anything but Gay.

Well, here is one explanation which gels with what I've heard before:

With these new definitions, the original meanings of “carefree”, “joyful”, and “bright and showy” were still around; so the word was not exclusively used to refer to prostitutes or a promiscuous man. Those were just accepted definitions, along with the other meanings of the word.

Around the 1920s and 1930s, however, the word started to have a new meaning. In terms of the sexual meaning of the word, a “gay man” no longer just meant a man who had sex with a lot of women, but now started to refer to men who had sex with other men. There was also another word “gey cat” at this time which meant a homosexual boy.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/how-gay-came-to-mean-homosexual/

Words change meaning over time. Gay is hardly unusual that way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic