Came back on visa exemption after overstay

I saw some people about overstay so I thought I'd post my experience. I flew out of Don Mueang a few days ago, had no problem clearing a 2 year overstay actually they laughed when they saw the duration, and didn't ask any questions like why I did it or what I was doing in Thailand. Just relaxed, sign the form, pay the fine, take a photo and they checked I knew about the new blacklisting rules from March 20th.

I'd intended to apply for a tourist visa in Saigon but overslept. So I flew back into Don Mueang on visa waiver today.

Had 20k cash ready and a 30 day hotel reservation (on a booking site where you don't have to pay to reserve a room, and can cancel free) to show if asked, but I wasn't.

A lady took me into a back room and only asked if I had an outward flight ticket, and if I knew the upcoming new rules. Again didn't ask why or what I'm doing here. Again very relaxed.

I showed my flight ticket out for 30 days from now, I'll probably change that to 60 days and extend the visa waiver with an agent in Phra Khanong. Then switch to single entry tourist visas.

The lady also asked if I had a Thai wife, I said just a girlfriend. Then took me back to passport control and stamped me in for the 30 day waiver.

I too was admitted visa exempt after 11 year overstay but on reflection trying for visa exempt entry again after an overstay is needlessly risky as I like the OP was questioned on re-entry. My interview was conducted with considerably greater froideur than that experienced by the OP. Getting a visa prior to re-entry, particularly as things start moving closer to the implementation of the new regulations, would perhaps be more advisable for those seeking to rectify their overstay before 20th March.

• Like 1

Just curious about your ticket out in 30 days. You mention intention to change its date? What airline. Do you pay extra to allow changes on the ticket?

Yes, around 700 baht to change the date. AirAsia. Has to be 48 hrs or more prior to flying.

I fly every week with AirAsia only. The change fare charge may be 700 but that's not only charge. The hit you up with big difference in flights. Which are not accurate. I just rip them up. Never once seen a change of date less than just cost of buying new ticket.

Good headwork getting the overstay dealt with. I just know there are going to be some unhappily "surprised" individuals come 20 March screeching here about the inhumanity of it all. It's good that you received your visa exempt entry with no pain, but I can't help but wonder if even cleared long overstays are going to be causing unexpected problems after 20 March. Particularly in the south and at the land border crossings.