Container Truck Jackknifes on Pattaya Highway

rooster59

Container Truck Jackknifes on Pattaya Highway

post-247607-0-54054000-1456608984_thumb.

PATTAYA: Police and medics were called to a single-vehicle road crash on Highway 36 in East Pattaya on Saturday Morning, which left a container truck on its side and its driver trapped inside the cab.

Khun Kwanjai aged 32, was able to kick-out the front windscreen of the cab and led himself to safety, despite suffering a minor leg injury during his escape.

He was driving the container truck, operated by the PTT Polymer Logistics Company, from the Map Ta Put Industrial Estate in Rayong Province and intended to travel to Nakhom Pathom Province, near Bangkok.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221800/container-truck-jackknifes-on-pattaya-highway/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-02-28

The miracle is that the container was actually twist-locked down in the first place.

And how the hell did it jack-knife when there's no freaking trailer?

And of course, it is permissible to drive a truck like a rally car with absolutely no consequences. coffee1.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

On the plus side, most of the trucks in the LOS stick to 80 KPH and the slow lane, unlike in Canada, where they go 110 in the fast lane..sad.png

I've always said that Thailand has a chance to climb out of the "most dangerous roadways in the world" hole.. thumbsup.gif

Yeah that's true, most trucks do 80klm. I wish the busses would follow suit.

I was doing 110 on Highway 7 a few weeks ago and got passed by three busses in convoy doing at least 120. And there was only about a one metre gap between them.

The miracle is that the container was actually twist-locked down in the first place.

And of course, it is permissible to drive a truck like a rally car with absolutely no consequences. coffee1.gif

No twist locks required on that one, it is a fixed body, not a container truck as the title suggests.

And your right , jackknife is not possible with a rigid body, lost control or fell asleep would be a better description:-)

On the plus side, most of the trucks in the LOS stick to 80 KPH and the slow lane, unlike in Canada, where they go 110 in the fast lane..sad.png

I've always said that Thailand has a chance to climb out of the "most dangerous roadways in the world" hole.. thumbsup.gif

You clearly never have been to highway #36 where the container trucks, with unlocked containers on the back, drive way over 100 km/h

"unlike in Canada, where they go 110 in the fast lane."

Same as Australia, freakin'scary!!

No twist locks required on that one, it is a fixed body, not a container truck as the title suggests.

And your right , jackknife is not possible with a rigid body, lost control or fell asleep would be a better description:-)

Right with a truck alone, so without a trailor;

and on the photo we don't have the mark that all thai trucks with a trailor have :

รถพ่วง rot pouang = trailor

Maybe you never drove a truck like that. As the centre of gravity at a lorry loaded with a container is rathetr high you don't have to drive as a rallydriver to get an accident like this. Just making a short sharp curve and there you go!!

When I was in Canada I used to drive on the road out of Fort McMurray which I was told by locals that it is one of the most dangerous roads in Canada. Judging by the speed some of the trucks went I didnt surprise me

Glad the driver wasn't seriously injured or killed. Now he can stand trial by those that weren't there, didn't witness the accident and are appointing themselves as some sort of Grand Jury.

I see, read and move on in these instances.

Lol... You want to try driving in the far north west of Australia... Some of those cattle truck/ trains, trailing three bogeys, still do 110 plus, but the last trailer also develops a 15 foot side to side swing.... Freakin scary is right... God forbid you add thainese to that

I used to see em coming, and pull right off the road, just in case.... Most built up areas have depots so the drivers can ferry their trailers, one at a time, into or thru the built up area.

Years ago, White trucks sent a representative to Australia to try and work out why they were burning up trucks in the outback... When he saw a truck three up with loaded cattle, he laughed... And went home, investigation done!

well they got the "jack-knife bit wrong, are you sure it is a "container" truck as we know it,? the vehicle on left of pic is a "container truck, i think it is just a rigid, just askin ? dont look like a shipping container to me.

It is NOT a container.

It is the usual truck body attached to the chassis.

Most likely he was talking on his mobile phone and got off the road into the emergency parking strip and instead of gently easing the truck back in the FAST lane he yanked the sterring wheel causing the truck due to its excessive speed coupled with its high CG of the load inside the truckbody causing the truck to rollover. He is in the wrong lane for trucks, trucks must drive in the most left lane of the highway, NOT in the most right lane which is the dedicated max speed (120KPH at RR-7) lane for cars and pickup trucks in LOS%@^&$.

That is the front end of a road train as can be seen from the coupling unit. Many reasons it could have rolled over. Most likely is being cut up by a car driver so had to take evasive action.

Not sure why he had to kick the windscreen out, opening the passenger door would have been far easier.

Edit, just noticed he blamed his speed and some pot holes for the accident, TERWAT.

Edited by berybert

That is the front end of a road train as can be seen from the coupling unit. Many reasons it could have rolled over. Most likely is being cut up by a car driver so had to take evasive action.

Not sure why he had to kick the windscreen out, opening the passenger door would have been far easier.

Edit, just noticed he blamed his speed and some pot holes for the accident, TERWAT.

I guess picture #2 in the article of some guy on his phone is newsworthy because....maybe it's showing the driver didn't flee the scene???

Now THAT, my friends is newsworthy.

It's unheard of!

LOL. I see dump trucks tearing down Thappraya Road, heading for red, at 60 - 80 KPH. It's terrifying to think what could happen. It's insanity, but the cops are too busy fleecing foreigners for licence infringements and no helmets.