British man found dead inside his East Pattaya Home

webfact

Only 62, not even old enough to qualify for his pension.

Having seen too many of my colleagues succumb before retirement, I decided that I could afford to live comfortably and retire at 55.

There is much more to life than just working till you drop.

I could not agree with you more jacko. I retired at 57.5 years old on a slightly reduced final years salary based pension (and made sure my final year was a well paid one). Now I am 70 and for 5 years now have my UK state pension too. I have absolutely no capital, just my Thai house (in a company name with my Thai wife as equal shareholder. so all legal with no more nominee shareholders) and my car, motorbike and household/personal possessions. I live from pension pay day to pension pay day each month and have enough to qualify for my Thai retirement visa.

I NEVER regretted retiring a few years early with a reduced work pension. I loved my job but I love retirement far more now being able to do exactly what I want when I want within the accepted limitations of my financial ability, but the freedom more than makes up for that. My only regret is that I did not retire at 50 as I always had planned, but I could not remotely afford it then and especially after two UK divorces (the second wife was and still is an honest decent human being and did not stitch me up like so many greedy selfish women do to their poor ex spouses and as my first wife tried to and partly got away with it !!) .

I never have nor never will chase money and have to pay for it with being a prisoner to the greed and avarice until you are too late to enjoy your much earned retirement to the full. You did the right thing Jacko and a lesson many folk need to learn. However you do need plenty of rewarding and satisfying hobbies of which I already have too many to fit all in with the awake hours in my life. I am overall short of money for all the things I would like but really do not need, but I would not swap that for what I now have which makes me very happy overall.

Another statistic I saw somewhere is that generally the earlier you retire then the longer you live, fol who wait till 65 to retire on average do not live to see 70 but those retiring at 50 generally live well into their 80s, well that is the statistics for most western countries I understand.

RIP to that guy and very sad indeed to die so young and alone like that though at least he probably did not know much about it and passed away very quickly, at least let us hope that was the case. My sympathies go to his family and friends.

Yes agree with many comments here that the Thai press are totally disgusting with their thoughtless reporting and bad taste photographs and yet in Thailand they censor out beautiful things like kissing on the TV, and also real to life items are not shown uncensored like guns and cigarettes (neither of which I like or would have myself) which are facts of life and not in bad taste of course like those horrid dismembered bodies accident photos and similar.

Much the same here. I retired to LOS in 2005 when I was 58 yo. Burnt too many bridges to go back to England and why should I be a burden to my relations over there ? I love it here and my state pension lets me live a life of ease . In England it would possibly pay the rent and little else , but don't tell them in England or they might all come out here and I like being the only ferlung walking round Tesco Lotus on a Saturday.

RIP but this is happening again and again, it's really disturbing.

Do foreigners come to Thailand to die, like how some species of whales wash up on specific shores?

Where would you rather like to die? Is it really important? Granted it is better to have somebody to look after you when you get old, it's nicer than to be alone and also good in case that you get sick or need assistance. But maybe he didn't want that... when you are dead you are dead. The discomfort caused, odor etc., is for the people around you, not for yourself. But being on the floor helpless, unable to move, having pain, for days maybe, that is scary

Do foreigners come to Thailand to die, like how some species of whales wash up on specific shores?

RIP

Maybe because most expats are retired, hence in out later years of life that we find these events commonly reported. I think that if I were still in the country of my origin the same would be apparent, maybe a darn sight more in percentage. Many of my friends there feel obliged to read the daily newspapers obituary everyday. Well I do the same here, and if I don't see my name there, I party.

Whilst I did not come to Thailand to die, I have instead learned how to live.

Edited by mankondang

I wonder if when I die at home of natural causes Pattaya One will come around and trample through my house, take a photo of my corpse and report it as news for my grieving relatives to see?

It acts as an incentive to wear a clean pair of underpants every day. And although your passing will be from natural causes, the forums will be ablaze with alternative theories ...

But on a serious note, there is an appalling lack of respect for the dead in Thailand. Perhaps the attitude to death is connected to the culture or religion?

Nevertheless, RIP Mr.

I know what you mean, but turning it on its head, perhaps some wonder why we Westerners try so hard to hide from the realities of death?

Agreed. We all pass on eventually. I don't mind my photograph in the Thai Media if I have a 'Mexican Suicide' (found asleep on a chair), but I'd not be too pleased if I went like Elvis Presley (on the throne). The only thing I want to know is where I will die. And then I'll make sure I never go there.

Having seen too many of my colleagues succumb before retirement, I decided that I could afford to live comfortably and retire at 55.

Good friend of mine, started coming here in 85. married a Thai girl and she went to live in UK with him. Really laid back guy but unfortunately died of a heart attack, he was about 55.

I could not agree with you more jacko. I retired at 57.5 years old on a slightly reduced final years salary based pension (and made sure my final year was a well paid one). Now I am 70 and for 5 years now have my UK state pension too. I have absolutely no capital, just my Thai house (in a company name with my Thai wife as equal shareholder. so all legal with no more nominee shareholders) and my car, motorbike and household/personal possessions. I live from pension pay day to pension pay day each month and have enough to qualify for my Thai retirement visa.

I NEVER regretted retiring a few years early with a reduced work pension. I loved my job but I love retirement far more now being able to do exactly what I want when I want within the accepted limitations of my financial ability, but the freedom more than makes up for that. My only regret is that I did not retire at 50 as I always had planned, but I could not remotely afford it then and especially after two UK divorces (the second wife was and still is an honest decent human being and did not stitch me up like so many greedy selfish women do to their poor ex spouses and as my first wife tried to and partly got away with it !!) .

I never have nor never will chase money and have to pay for it with being a prisoner to the greed and avarice until you are too late to enjoy your much earned retirement to the full. You did the right thing Jacko and a lesson many folk need to learn. However you do need plenty of rewarding and satisfying hobbies of which I already have too many to fit all in with the awake hours in my life. I am overall short of money for all the things I would like but really do not need, but I would not swap that for what I now have which makes me very happy overall.

Another statistic I saw somewhere is that generally the earlier you retire then the longer you live, fol who wait till 65 to retire on average do not live to see 70 but those retiring at 50 generally live well into their 80s, well that is the statistics for most western countries I understand.

RIP to that guy and very sad indeed to die so young and alone like that though at least he probably did not know much about it and passed away very quickly, at least let us hope that was the case. My sympathies go to his family and friends.

Yes agree with many comments here that the Thai press are totally disgusting with their thoughtless reporting and bad taste photographs and yet in Thailand they censor out beautiful things like kissing on the TV, and also real to life items are not shown uncensored like guns and cigarettes (neither of which I like or would have myself) which are facts of life and not in bad taste of course like those horrid dismembered bodies accident photos and similar.

Much the same here. I retired to LOS in 2005 when I was 58 yo. Burnt too many bridges to go back to England and why should I be a burden to my relations over there ? I love it here and my state pension lets me live a life of ease . In England it would possibly pay the rent and little else , but don't tell them in England or they might all come out here and I like being the only ferlung walking round Tesco Lotus on a Saturday.

I guess your State pension supplements some other incomes as alone I do not see it financing a life of ease, or even a retirement extension. Many are mentioning me, but roiethome started off the early retiring line. Actually I retired at 51...smile.png , my father going way before his pension after many years of hard work swung my decision. That and many years working in 'orrible places. I do worry that if I am around too long I may be struggling, but I certainly would not like to go back to work!!!

Edited by jacko45k

I wonder if when I die at home of natural causes Pattaya One will come around and trample through my house, take a photo of my corpse and report it as news for my grieving relatives to see?

It acts as an incentive to wear a clean pair of underpants every day. And although your passing will be from natural causes, the forums will be ablaze with alternative theories ...

But on a serious note, there is an appalling lack of respect for the dead in Thailand. Perhaps the attitude to death is connected to the culture or religion?

Nevertheless, RIP Mr.

a lot good that'd do you. People shit themselves when they die. Guess you could always do enemas to help keep the undies clean.

what do you expect, the next step after retirement is death.

a drinking culture like pattaya certainly wont lower the odds

its like being surprised that old people die in nursing homes. of course they do.

Good friend of mine, started coming here in 85. married a Thai girl and she went to live in UK with him. Really laid back guy but unfortunately died of a heart attack, he was about 55.

Soon after I started work in the late 70's, we all congregated round one of the senior employee's desk at dinnertime on his 65th birthday, for a toast to celebrate his upcoming retirement. After returning to my desk, we were later advised that soon after we dispersed, he had a major heart attack and, unfortunately, could not be resuscitated, and sadly, passed away.

Worked all his life, and never got to see the benefits of life away from work. I vowed, at that early stage in life, to at least enjoy some form of early retirement.

Mr Crossland, a fellow Scouser, R.I.P.

Nevertheless, RIP Mr.

I know what you mean, but turning it on its head, perhaps some wonder why we Westerners try so hard to hide from the realities of death?

Agreed. We all pass on eventually. I don't mind my photograph in the Thai Media if I have a 'Mexican Suicide' (found asleep on a chair), but I'd not be too pleased if I went like Elvis Presley (on the throne). The only thing I want to know is where I will die. And then I'll make sure I never go there.

Yes, but don't forget the old saying, "wherever you go, there you are."

Nevertheless, RIP Mr.

a lot good that'd do you. People shit themselves when they die. Guess you could always do enemas to help keep the undies clean.

Noted. I'll stock up on incontinence underwear in my twilight years. :-)

This is not news is it ? In my home country 233 people died today according to the statistics. Would be a busy time for journalists if we shoulld report all the deaths in the world.