Bangkok Bank - Maximum Daily Withdrawl

dingdongrb

Geez.... another one of those posts that I wish I would not have started.

'Counter'.... does not always refer to a bank.... Doesn't Central stores have a 'counter' where one pays for purchases?

I admit many are correct, I did leave out an important point in my original post without mentioning it was my card I was referring to.......but then again here is what I did post:

"Or if needed being able to make a purchase of more than 50k THB in a single day."

Now I ask, how was I intending to 'make a purchase' if it wasn't without using MY CARD? Oh perhaps I was going to write a <deleted> check! I guess in order to post properly one needs to draw pictures using crayons...

'Counter'.... does not always refer to a bank.... Doesn't Central stores have a 'counter' where one pays for purchases?

I admit many are correct, I did leave out an important point in my original post without mentioning it was my card I was referring to.......but then again here is what I did post:

"Or if needed being able to make a purchase of more than 50k THB in a single day."

Now I ask, how was I intending to 'make a purchase' if it wasn't without using MY CARD? Oh perhaps I was going to write a <deleted> check! I guess in order to post properly one needs to draw pictures using crayons...

I don't know about the rest of the world but for me, coming from a banking/finance background, the term, "over the counter" or OTC has a specific meaning, it refers to a financial transaction that is made within a financial environment, mileage may vary blah blah.

A "counter" in Central is a retail outlet or a shop,

It seems as though terminology, verbiage and completeness are the core issues here, posters are trying to help.

Never mind, now you know.

Your post was not clear, part of it indicated use of a card but not all of it.

Suggesting that your readers are in need of pictures just shows how far off you are. Get a grip.

The O P is using his debit card as an ATM card and for purchases. The problem is that the card has a daily limit of 50k which he is clearly breaching by trying to make a purchase of 75k and also an ATM withdrawal and a transfer which again exceed the set limit of activity of 50k. He needs to speak to someone in authority at his branch and sort the situation of the limit out, and then manage his pattern of transactions to stay within the set limit.

"trying to make a purchase of 75k "

I understand he was not trying to make a purchase.
Problems with the limit when buying do not know. I have been buying more than 200k even per time(not per day)- No problem, just need to install more than the limit when opening a bank account or to increase the time

Ok to keep this simple.....which obviously needs to be done.....

1. Your debit card has a preset limit on it, normally 50k a day.

2. This figure is on the banks system for your Debit card (I have seen it), this figure can be increased using BKK Bank online (everyone can have online banking with all your accounts on it) or go into the branch you opened the account and they can up the limit on their system.

3. For large amounts take your passbook and passport to ANY Bangkok Bank Branch and withdraw any amount in cash.

" I guess in order to post properly one needs to draw pictures using crayons... "

Your post was confusing and confused. My suggestion to the OP is to read the title and the post over again before posting. You will get much better replies that way.

>>3. For large amounts take your passbook and passport to ANY Bangkok Bank Branch and withdraw any amount in cash. <<

Am pretty sure that it has to be the branch in which you have the account .Thai Banks are different to my home bank in that regard .

I agree with Chiang Mai's posting. I do not understand how the OP's problem can have arisen. I have walked into my (large) Bangkok Bank branch and taken out two million in cash from my account, with no questions asked. There has never been any question of a limit on accessing my own money. My limit on online transfers is 500,000B per day (which appears to be the highest allowable), but I have transferred 1.5MB, just spread it over three days. My credit card does of course have a limit, but that is a different matter.

My issue has nothing to do with going into the bank, my issue is transactions that take place outside of the bank, particularly the ATM. The maximum I can spend at a store or take out from an ATM or transfer using an ATM is 50k per day..... Was my original post really that hard to understand?

Well yes, actually and then it became even more difficult to understand because you later wrote, "Whether over the counter, online, or ATM purchases the maximum amount allowable on my card is 50k THB a day total.....". "Over the counter" implies inside the branch although you later say "My issue has nothing to do with going into the bank"!

Moving on: as you now know every bank and every card has a limit of some sort, you've been assigned 50k baht and you want to transact over that limit but don't want to go into the bank (or maybe you do, who knows) and use a passbook and you can't get the bank to upgrade your daily limit. Seems you have too choices, change banks or live with it. Personally, I have several bank cards in Thailand and the biggest problem I have is getting them to lower the limit to an acceptable level that reduces my risk from theft or fraud, neither UOB nor CIMB want to do that. Be careful what you wish for, consumer protection here is not the same as in Kansas.

I agree with you. And first time hear about cant upgrade limit. I am never needs chs from ATM more whan 50k, for me more easy get it from bank even from mo thai card i go get cash in branch by card( its keep time and money for me). But If it real. Need thinks about not keep big amount in BB. :)

If out Thailand need cash what to do? blink.png

Nope, not confused at all.

Like I said I know the ATM max per transaction is 25k. I can do 2 of those per day (50k) and no more.

In Dec I bought a new house. Went to HomePro and tired buying 3 Aircon at 25k ea (total 75k) and my card we declined. I called the bank to ask why and the reply I got was that the 75k exceeded my daily allowance of 50k.

Just yesterday I went and transferred 12k to my landlord's BBK bank account for March rent. Immediately after that I tried transferring 50k into my wife's Siam Bank account and it was declined. That's when I went into my home branch and asked why. Again the reply I received was that with both transactions (total 62k) it would exceed my daily allowable maximum. I asked to have it increased. Was declined.

Your ac deal is stated to be a card transaction, cards have limits and requirements that do not apply to withdrawals (using your passbook to make a withdrawal at a bank teller window). So it is a card problem.

Your second transaction was an attempted transfer, again not just a simple withdrawal, and again with different requirements. Was that a using a card too? If so that problem also has to do with your card and the conditions on it.

If I took my bank book into my home branch and they refused my request for a simple withdrawal, I would be changing banks asap.

Agree. The O/P keeps talking about withdrawals, but he is attempting to use a debit card for one thing and do a transfer for the other. I don't often make large counter withdrawals or transfers from my Bangkok Bank branch office, but when I have done there was no mention of a limit. Doing a transfer using an ATM I did encounter a baht 50,000 limit (again, not something I do often), but prefer that limit to stay in place since it also is a limit to a fraudulent transfer. Doing the transfer at a bank counter, they took a photocopy of my passport but imposed no limit, which I also consider a reasonable security precaution.

I don't know about the rest of the world but for me, coming from a banking/finance background, the term, "over the counter" or OTC has a specific meaning, it refers to a financial transaction that is made within a financial environment, mileage may vary blah blah.

It seems as though terminology, verbiage and completeness are the core issues here, posters are trying to help.

My background is not finance and when I hear 'Over The Counter' (OTC) the first thing that comes to my mind is the stock market, the penny stocks... aka 'stinky pinkies'.

Likewise where I was raised at and come from we tend to refer to the bank 'counter' as being the 'teller counter' or 'teller window'.

I guess it's all a matter of what words ones uses.

For a coca cola do you call it 'soda'.... or 'pop'..... how about 'soft drink'?

I've come to the conclusion that when I first arrived at TV many years ago it was very helpful and informative. I used to post and read it a lot. I rarely do these days as I've either gotten much busier, have no need as I can find my answers elsewhere, or I've been coming to LOS long enough I know pretty much what is needed. I now tend to find that TV has come to the point where the majority of the posters are old senile retirees that have nothing much better to do than to display their 'know-it-all' to the community or bash and ridicule those that post or reply to a post.

Farewell all........ DDrb

I agree with Chiang Mai's posting. I do not understand how the OP's problem can have arisen. I have walked into my (large) Bangkok Bank branch and taken out two million in cash from my account, with no questions asked. There has never been any question of a limit on accessing my own money. My limit on online transfers is 500,000B per day (which appears to be the highest allowable), but I have transferred 1.5MB, just spread it over three days. My credit card does of course have a limit, but that is a different matter.

My issue has nothing to do with going into the bank, my issue is transactions that take place outside of the bank, particularly the ATM. The maximum I can spend at a store or take out from an ATM or transfer using an ATM is 50k per day..... Was my original post really that hard to understand?

Just get another account or two at BB, each card then operates independently.

So rather than keep digging, as its now clear you mean your card and not 'all transactions' fix it..

MAKE the bank update your limit.. MAKE the bank give you net banking.. Or change banks to one that will.

Its pretty simple.

I don't think having a large amount in the bank that is accessible with an ATM card,

is a smart thing to do.

regards worgeordie

Agreed.. Multiple friends have been skimmed or lost money from Thai banks, all of them failed to reclaim it and for one it was many 100s of k..

I myself managed to empty my wifes account after her death, without any legal access to the account, simply by a tiny bit of thought.

I keep a reserve holding account, a pocket money cash account, and household bills accounts.. The last one allows me to put all bills on direct debit and empty the account if and when I move, Experience from Phuket taught me that the utility companies dont stop taking the money when they promise to, so better to segregate accounts.

Something is being lost in translation. Everybody can access their own money and can have on-line access to their accounts! Seriously - you have it all wrong.

Almost - we have an account with Kasikorn that we should close as we no longer use it. Tried several times to get online access but they have refused every time, and I kept thinking that they were making a mistake/I was asking the wrong person but no, we tried small and main branches and the telephone help. The reason given 5, possibly 6 times that we can't get online access is because it is a joint account. I honestly thought it was a mistake in translation. Two people, one account - they all said the same thing. I got annoyed and opened an account at Bangkok Bank (but made sure it was only in one name just in case).

Something is being lost in translation. Everybody can access their own money and can have on-line access to their accounts! Seriously - you have it all wrong.

Almost - we have an account with Kasikorn that we should close as we no longer use it. Tried several times to get online access but they have refused every time, and I kept thinking that they were making a mistake/I was asking the wrong person but no, we tried small and main branches and the telephone help. The reason given 5, possibly 6 times that we can't get online access is because it is a joint account. I honestly thought it was a mistake in translation. Two people, one account - they all said the same thing. I got annoyed and opened an account at Bangkok Bank (but made sure it was only in one name just in case).

And were you able to obtain online access at Bangkok Bank ?

If so, please share your method with the OP since his was denied:

for whatever reasons BBK Bank doesn't allow me to have online access to my account. I asked before and they declined.

Yeah, ordinary account, made sure internet access available before opening it, but most have. In Mr K's name with no mention of me just to be sure.

Some banks have some types of accounts that can't be done online, maybe he has one of those. I know passbook accounts in UK used to be no internet access, but that was many, many years ago so it may well have changed. I was unable to get internet banking for years with Halifax because you had to put your postcode in when applying for net access. I didn't live in UK so didn't have a UK postcode and wouldn't accept my registration. It was only available to residents of UK, I told them that because I lived overseas I had more reason than most to need access to internet banking. Personally I think that was a restriction put in by the programmers on the first version of their online banking to verify identity and rather than fix the simple error they made it policy that you had to have a UK address to get internet banking. It wasn't until around 2007 that I was able to access it online, I had access to Australian online banking from mid 1995.

Kasikorn were just crazy giving the reason of it being a joint account to block internet access, we both had ATM cards, it made no sense; that's the only reason I kept asking them, so they are probably having the same kind of programming restriction that Halifax were having in their first attempt at online access and are yet to fix it.

Just my opinion as a former code writer and senior admin manager. This is Thailand, so it could be a couple of dozen far more interesting reasons.

Yeah, ordinary account, made sure internet access available before opening it, but most have. In Mr K's name with no mention of me just to be sure.

Some banks have some types of accounts that can't be done online, maybe he has one of those. I know passbook accounts in UK used to be no internet access, but that was many, many years ago so it may well have changed. I was unable to get internet banking for years with Halifax because you had to put your postcode in when applying for net access. I didn't live in UK so didn't have a UK postcode and wouldn't accept my registration. It was only available to residents of UK, I told them that because I lived overseas I had more reason than most to need access to internet banking. Personally I think that was a restriction put in by the programmers on the first version of their online banking to verify identity and rather than fix the simple error they made it policy that you had to have a UK address to get internet banking. It wasn't until around 2007 that I was able to access it online, I had access to Australian online banking from mid 1995.

Kasikorn were just crazy giving the reason of it being a joint account to block internet access, we both had ATM cards, it made no sense; that's the only reason I kept asking them, so they are probably having the same kind of programming restriction that Halifax were having in their first attempt at online access and are yet to fix it.

Just my opinion as a former code writer and senior admin manager. This is Thailand, so it could be a couple of dozen far more interesting reasons.

Just last Thursday received internet banking on a joint account I hold with my Thai wife at Siam commercial bank. We went in to the bank together with the bank book and they set it all up for us. With a joint account they required a paper with both are signatures on it.

My background is not finance and when I hear 'Over The Counter' (OTC) the first thing that comes to my mind is the stock market, the penny stocks... aka 'stinky pinkies'.

Likewise where I was raised at and come from we tend to refer to the bank 'counter' as being the 'teller counter' or 'teller window'.

I guess it's all a matter of what words ones uses.

For a coca cola do you call it 'soda'.... or 'pop'..... how about 'soft drink'?

I've come to the conclusion that when I first arrived at TV many years ago it was very helpful and informative. I used to post and read it a lot. I rarely do these days as I've either gotten much busier, have no need as I can find my answers elsewhere, or I've been coming to LOS long enough I know pretty much what is needed. I now tend to find that TV has come to the point where the majority of the posters are old senile retirees that have nothing much better to do than to display their 'know-it-all' to the community or bash and ridicule those that post or reply to a post.

Farewell all........ DDrb

You're welcome, happy to help.

Just last week Hubby and I finally got around to apply for internet banking for our Bangkok Bank joint account at Kad Suan Kaew branch. We worked with a customer service rep who was new to us. It does appear that they're a little twitchy about granting internet banking for joint accounts. Her first question was to confirm that we have other accounts at the bank, in our own names that have sufficient balance to cover loses in case one of us cleans out the joint account and leaves the other high-and-dry. She didn't put it that way, but asked about other accounts and was very relieved when I brought out a stack of bankbooks for our other Bangkok Bank accounts (cert. of deposit), all of which are in single names -- not joint names.

Sure, we each have an ATM card for the joint account, but it's much easier to clean out a joint account with a few key strokes via the internet anywhere in the world, than to clean it out using an ATM card that only functions at Bangkok Bank ATM machines.

And were you able to obtain online access at Bangkok Bank ?

If so, please share your method with the OP since his was denied:

for whatever reasons BBK Bank doesn't allow me to have online access to my account. I asked before and they declined.

It might have to do with the visa OP was holding when opening the bank account at Bangkok Bank. When I opened an account with them I only had a visa exempt stamp and was told I wasn't eligible for Internet banking, I would need a work permit or Non-O visa for that. After I got a Non-O visa I went back and applied for Internet banking, they made copies of the visa and within a couple of days I had access to Internet banking.

I simply went online with my existing Bangkok Accounts. I went to the link that says something like "Add another of your accounts or cards ". Entered the new joint account number and there it is. You are limited to Five accounts. I just went to the website to make sure I was giving the correct information, and it still works for me.

Why would anyone have a joint account in the first place ? Be in control of your own life, let the wife have a separate account and then make online transfers to her if you think she deserves it.

I simply went online with my existing Bangkok Accounts. I went to the link that says something like "Add another of your accounts or cards ". Entered the new joint account number and there it is. You are limited to Five accounts. I just went to the website to make sure I was giving the correct information, and it still works for me.

May be you open with NON Visa?

If you open with travel visa o stamp its dosnt work.

Need go to branch and apply for internet banking. I have two account in BB , one open when have stamp, another after on tourist visa .

My wife knows the Bank Manager. I've no problems. Lessons learned: make friends with important people. It's The Thai Way.

I not have wife and any knows the bank manager.

I've no problems.

Lesson: no need !make! friends for use. Even with important people.

Its not be friends.

Archived