Moving to Banchang - Housing Info Needed

jacobsladder

Hi

We'll be moving to Banchang in July. We are a couple with two kids (9 and 4). Kids will probably be going to Garden International School.

I've been looking at houses in the area, ideally on the south side of Sukhumvit within walking or cycling distance from Garden and the Soi with the Camel Pub on it (I'm assuming this is the centre). We're hoping to get a three bedroom place (four would be better) with a smallish garden. We need enough room for a paddling pool for the kids and a barbecue for me. We'd like it to be in one of the 'villages.' I have located Sinthawee, Eastern Star, Kanta Garden. Any suggestions for other possible areas to live. It would be nice if there were other expat kids around (or at least English speaking) and it would also be nice to have a pool and gym in the compound. Hoping to pay around 25,000Baht a month, although we might stretch to 30,000Baht if we have to.

Doable> Thought? Thanks in advance.

Eastern Star expect rentals starting at 30k+ for a decent house. Kanta Gardens was very expensive last time I checked, also a friend staying there had security issues (pilfering, assisted by security staff). A little cheaper might be Payoon Greenvill village. Prices starting ar around 15-18k / month; decent house quality and plenty of other expat kids around (going to REPS / GIS schools) to make friends with. Pool, cafe bar and basic gym also available.

Thanks. I had a look at Greenville (or what info I could find). Seems good. We want the school to be within bicycle riding distance. It seems there are a bunch of little country roads that end up at Garden. Do they have four bedroom places? It seems almost of the ads we see are for three bedroom. I think 30,000 is defintiely our max.

^Payoon Greenvill mostly all 3 bedroom max house design. Doubt that you will find a good house in it's own grounds w/ 4 bedrooms for less than 30k, but I may be wrong.smile.png

As you say, the school is very close if you use the small "cut through" roads. I occasionally cycle that way myself, takes about 15 minutes. As I've posted already, Greenvill has a good mix of local expat kids, parents, and professional / military Thai residents. Friendly place too. Good luck with finding somewhere that ticks all the boxes. thumbsup.gif

Edited by huangnon

Thanks

Do people have nannies/housekeepers/etc? How much would it cost for five hours day, five days a week. We have a full time nanny/cleaner where we are now (another part of Asia), but we find it kind of pricey at about 30,000 Baht a month (although she does 47.5 hours a week). How much would we pay for 25 hours a week. Mostly cleaning, maybe a bit of nannying/babysitting?

^ We have a girl who comes in 3 full days (7/8 hrs per day) and pay 4,000 a month + food and occasional extras when she comes early or leaves late. Includes cleaning, ironing and looking after the little guy when we are not around. She does another 3 days for a friend for a similar rate.

Might be difficult to find a good one for five days a week though as most decent ones will be working already on at least a few days pw. Might tempt one for about 10 to 12k though.

\

^Seems to be the case.....Eastern Star (Vintage and Hamlet estates) gave five year memberships to new purchasers so if you rent from a recent buyer they may let you use their card although I doubt there is much available on here for <30kpm. Otherwise you will have to pay each day (only about 100bt). If you play golf, ES and I think Green Valley include free use of the pools etc as part of the golf club membership.

Thanks for the info.

On another subject do most villages/compounds have pools and gyms? I understand you have to pay at Greenville, even if you live there. Is this normal?

Yes. Used to be just a nominal fee / year or per session, but has increased lately. There is a legal standoff between the developer and the committee responsible for maintenance at the moment, and in the meantime usage price has gone up.

• 2 months later...

We're probably moving to Sisuk, just south of Kanta ((Ganta?) Garden. There is a pool, but I would like a gym. Is Eastern Star the closest gym? Can an outsider join? How much would it be for a year? Any other suggestions?

Also, are there any classes for kids? We have a nine year old who wants to get into gymnastics and/or yoga.

Thanks in advance

Eastern Star is the closest gym. Non ES residents can use it. You can access ES via the shanty town next to GIS. For gyms that offer classes you're best looking at the one at the top of the strip or the one off the new road to Maptaphut industrial estate.

• 2 weeks later...

Multiple off topic posts have been removed also quoted replies to them, the OP is asking about housing in Banchang NOT possible pollution from Mapthaphut