Problem with Tourist Visa in Cambodia

Hi, I'm in Siem Reap, Cambodia trying to get a new tourist visa for Thailand. I've been here several times (maybe that's the problem) and I usually go through an agent via the guesthouse I stay at. Today the guesthouse manager told me that agent is having problems getting the visa and that the consulate are asking questions mostly about the amount of time I've spent in Thailand (just over 3 years, 2 years on ED visas and a year of tourist visas) They're also asking for paperwork relating to either business in Thailand or a Thai wife (i have neither)

I'm not sure what to do now, the agent is telling me that I have the option to go to the consulate in Phnom Penh or just have my passport returned but it was implied that I might be blacklisted if I just have it returned. Another option would be to go Laos and try and get a visa there or I could just stay in Siem Reap, if that's possible.

I'm really not sure what to do next so any helpful advice would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Question i have is if you don't have a business or Thai wife and have been using ED and tourist visas, I can only assume you have been supporting yourself for the past 3+ years by working in Thailand illegally.

Edited by Rayk

Someone I know was refused a single entry visa in Phnom Penh recently because he's had a few back to back single entry tourist visas issued over there.

He thinks he's going to get a double entry visa in Laos next month, he wouldn't listen at all when I told him they no longer exist. He's going to learn the hard way.

This suggests to me that they've tightened the regulations recently in Phnom Penh.

You're not going to get 'blacklisted' at an Embassy but they might refuse to issue you with further visas at least until you change your passport.

• Like 1

• If you cant give them what they want give up and apply elsewhere. It would appear they don't want to issue you with a new visa. You might have hit their limit, but it could equally be that they believe you are working illegally. IMO they don't want to issue you with a tourist visa because they don't believe you are a tourist.

Not sure what "blacklist" exits that you could end up on. Sounds like 'agent' BS!

I suggest you try your luck in Savannakhet or Penang.

• Like 2

Question i have is if you don't have a business or Thai wife and have been using ED and tourist visa, I can only assume you have been supporting yourself for the past 3+ years by working in Thailand illegally.

Maybe he's got a large amount of spare cash sitting in his bank account. Not everyone is a pennyless deadbeat you know.

If he had a large amount of spare cash sitting in his bank account as you say he would be using the Elite visa and saving himself all the hassles of border runs and trips to immigration. So i doubt very much that is the case.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but:

1. I thought there was no consulate nor embassy in Siem Reap and all the passports would be taken by the agent to Phnom Pehn.

2. Phnom Pehn has an Embassy not a consulate.

1. I thought there was no consulate nor embassy in Siem Reap and all the passports would be taken by the agent to Phnom Pehn.

It's definitely an embassy in Phnom Penh, I've used it msyelf a number of times in the past.

You are not wrong.

I believe the agent has failed to get the visa and is telling the OP to go to the embassy to plead his case or have the passport returned.

• Like 1

Does anyone think it's worth going to Phnom Penh? It sounds like it might be a waste of time.

A trip to the embassy yourself might help if you can show financial proof and a ticket out of the country. They seem to not always trust agents outside of PP from posts that I have seen.

• Like 1

Does anyone think it's worth going to Phnom Penh? It sounds like it might be a waste of time.

A trip to the embassy yourself might help if you can show financial proof and a ticket out of the country. They seem to not always trust agents outside of PP from posts that I have seen.

Do you know what kind of proof would they require? Most of my financial transactions are done through Paypal, would those records be valid?

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll try Savannakhet.

For the record I'm not working illegally in Thailand and I've been supporting myself through my business, which is not based there.

Just because your business is not based in Thailand does not mean you are not working illegally. Are you yourself doing work at your business within the borders of Thailand. If the answer is yes than in essence you are working illegally.

Not that i really care if you are.

Edited by Rayk
  • Like 2

If you are married with a Thai Wife then why are you getting these types of visas and not the Thai wife "visa"?

As I said in my original post I'm not married to a Thai (or anyone else)

Call their bluff go face to face resolve the problem you will possibly end up with a new contact and a phone number for your next visa.

Or a reason for the fuss.

Do let us know the result please I am nearing a year on back to backs from PP.

Spending my holiday savings not working not retired no wife not even monkey training. Holidays can be for as long as you can afford as far as I am concerned Even the tightest cheap charlies spend more coins than those poor little chinky tourists on 4 day bus trips as for visa money the westerners donate cash to consulates and immigration Why do they get so much pleasure in messing customers around tourists are Thailand's customers

It's definitely an embassy in Phnom Penh, I've used it msyelf a number of times in the past.

Embassies are located in national capitals. Satellites operations of the embassy located outside of a nation's capital are consulates. Thus, for example, all the embassies in Bangkok, London, Washington etc. and consulates in Chicago, LA, Hull, Chiang Mai, etc.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I really cant see how the Elite Visa is worth it. 2 million baht and a yearly fee, come on they have to be joking

Does your post have any relationship to the topic which is about obtaining a Tourist Visa in Cambodia ?

I assume your passport is already with the embassy and they want to see you in person for an interview.Most likely the visa sticker is already in your passport and the consul flagged your case for further examination/interview.What the agent means when he says blacklisting is that if you don't go to the embassy and persuade the consul to issue you the visa, they will put a cancelled stamp on the visa sticker.That is not as bad as blacklisting, but will still cause problems when you apply somewhere else.

• Like 2

For the record I'm not working illegally in Thailand and I've been supporting myself through my business, which is not based there.

Maybe catch a flight or bus to HCMC and get the Visa there (overnight processing and no need for an agent). Don't know where you are from, but will most likely need a Vietnam visa as well.

• Like 1

I really cant see how the Elite Visa is worth it. 2 million baht and a yearly fee, come on they have to be joking

------------------

Neither do I...but to be clear the Thai elite visa does not cost 2 million Baht...but 500K Baht for a 5 year visa.

There are other options for the Thai elite visa, but that is the cheapest one.

It will allow YOU to stay in Thailand for 5 years but not your family.

And for that option there is no yearly fee.

Do a internet search and see the various options, on their website.

All the info is there to see.

• Like 2

Question i have is if you don't have a business or Thai wife and have been using ED and tourist visas, I can only assume you have been supporting yourself for the past 3+ years by working in Thailand illegally.

Question i have is if you don't have a business or Thai wife and have been using ED and tourist visa, I can only assume you have been supporting yourself for the past 3+ years by working in Thailand illegally.

Maybe he's got a large amount of spare cash sitting in his bank account. Not everyone is a pennyless deadbeat you know.

If he had a large amount of spare cash sitting in his bank account as you say he would be using the Elite visa and saving himself all the hassles of border runs and trips to immigration. So i doubt very much that is the case.

What is your problem? Are you jealous of others lifestyle? I have been here a few years not working (and on an ED Visa before marriage) without working. Maybe some of us just have more money than you (or are better at managing it). I would never in a million years spend $15,000 of my money on a scam as crazy as an "Elite Visa". I would rather go to immigration every week then surrenduring that amount of cash for such nonsense!

Did i say I have a problem? Did i state that I am jealous of his lifestyle? Am I not entitled to my opinion? It appears you are and whether you like it or not, so am I.

If you are married with a Thai Wife then why are you getting these types of visas and not the Thai wife "visa"?

My apologies. I misread your original post. The Elite Visa would solve your problems. 500k and good for 5 years. You can leave and enter the country as often as you want. I myself am fully qualified for the retirement stay extension as I am over 50 but I might buy the Elite Visa. The regular retirement stay visa option is cheaper by almost any method of reckoning but the elite visa definitely has some convenience features that make it attractive. Note you would still have to report every 90 days if you are in the country continuously. If in Bangkok I believe the elite team will help and do the reporting for you if you trust that.

• Like 1

My apologies. I misread your original post. The Elite Visa would solve your problems. 500k and good for 5 years. You can leave and enter the country as often as you want. I myself am fully qualified for the retirement stay extension as I am over 50 but I might buy the Elite Visa. The regular retirement stay visa option is cheaper by almost any method of reckoning but the elite visa definitely has some convenience features that make it attractive. Note you would still have to report every 90 days if you are in the country continuously. If in Bangkok I believe the elite team will help and do the reporting for you if you trust that.

" The regular retirement stay visa"

Where is this visa obtained ?

No worries.

The Elite Visa would be nice but it's a little bit out of my price range.

Maybe catch a flight or bus to HCMC and get the Visa there (overnight processing and no need for an agent). Don't know where you are from, but will most likely need a Vietnam visa as well.

Yeah, I'm thinking about going to Vietnam but I keep reading things about proof of funds and records of flights in and out of Thailand. It's crazy, all these different embassies and consulates either having their own rules or choosing which ones they enforce when they feel like it.

I'm seriously considering spending the next 3 months in HCMC or Hanoi and then maybe coming back to Cambodia and getting the one year visa. I love Thailand but if I have to keep jumping through hoops then it's not worth it.