Additional reporting to Local police

I stay in Thailand (21 years now) on the the one year extension method for retirement supplying all documents including map of address, house owner details etc. Last week I went to Udon Thani for my usual 90 day report and I am due to go back in April to apply for another extension. Aware of the many changes I thought it prudent to ask both at the 90 day report officer and also the general desk dealing with extensions etc., if there were any additions or changes that I need be aware of. I was told in both cases that in my case there was no change (at present) to that of last year.

Another Englishman lives just down the road to me, married to a Thai lady and lived here for years. However, since he frequently returns to England he just gets another visa and now here on a one year visa. He tells me today that his wife has been approached by the local police and was told that all foreigners must report to the local police with details of residence etc.

In my opinion this might apply to those here on a current visa but am I wrong? I am not going to the police station to find out in case I start something I might regret so I'm asking forum members if they have any knowledge or experience of such a case.

I read on here something about the WIVE'S having to report their husbands as living in the house.....but maybe the house was in her name in those cases....which would make sense.

It seem every time an expat come back from a foreign country, the owner or possessor of the residence must report him to Immigration or nearest police station using TM-30 form within 24 hours.

You can read the details on the tm30.pdf TM-30 form

• Like 1

Many thanks for all comments. I will remain just using my 90 report because that seems to be the main requirement from immigration and according to the law. I shall wait for the police to inform me of any additional requirements.

I also live in Udon Thani and have NOT encountered this.

I believe thou that this might just be the requirement to complete a TM30 within 24 hrs of returning to the kingdom...............

although after my last trip to Australia ( Aug last year), on my return I went to Immigration to do this and was told

" not need to do as address same as on computer".

I have lived at the same address ( apart from the odd trip to Bangkok , Pattaya, Hua Hin, Samui, ) since my first arrival and it is the same address as on the arrivals card

handed in at swampy on my return.

I'd say that if the police want anything from you they will let you know. You are right to not approach them, it may go in the wrong direction. Unlike, but possible.

According to the The saying,...don't wake up sleeping dogs....!!

If I may disagree, my wife and I renewed our annual extensions last week. We had not previously submitted a TM30 Report. We completed one, ( showing the 2 of us at the same address,) together with 1 copy each of our passports. That was accepted without penalty. However, we were cautioned that we should have done this in 2015 , when we last arrived back from travelling. We were also advised that this deferring if a penalty will stop, March 1st.

I'd suggest you inform yourself about how your wife should complete the form, and get down there to Immigration, ASAP.

Forget about reporting the TM30 to the regular police, unless you live in a major town. They know little about Immigration reporting requirements. Good luck!

If I may disagree, my wife and I renewed our annual extensions last week. We had not previously submitted a TM30 Report. We completed one, ( showing the 2 of us at the same address,) together with 1 copy each of our passports. That was accepted without penalty. However, we were cautioned that we should have done this in 2015 , when we last arrived back from travelling. We were also advised that this deferring if a penalty will stop, March 1st.

I'd suggest you inform yourself about how your wife should complete the form, and get down there to Immigration, ASAP.

Forget about reporting the TM30 to the regular police, unless you live in a major town. They know little about Immigration reporting requirements. Good luck!

Let sleeping dogs lie.

I life in the Province of Korat, Amphoe Phi Mai with Visa-Extension married and I have the yellow housebook. Last week again a local police officer came to visit us, made some photos and thats it. He told us he is ordered to come now every month to check everything is ok. He showed us a paper with name and passphotos of 12 farangs living in this area. Up to him!

I specifically asked immigration about this. Basically if you leave Thailand and go back home, and then return yes must report residence, however a trip to another province for a few days where you are reported (hotel, hospital, overnight visit inside Thailand then no as your residence didn't change.

my goodness, used to be my dream to retire to Thailand one day with my Thai wife. The more i read the more i feel i am less likely to do it . I think its the backpack and multiple itinerary for us. So many places to see and be.

my goodness, used to be my dream to retire to Thailand one day with my Thai wife. The more i read the more i feel i am less likely to do it . I think its the backpack and multiple itinerary for us. So many places to see and be.

I retired here a year ago with my Thai wife, everything (really, everything) has been great, I wouldn't let a trip to immigration every 90 days spoil anything. As for the TM30, my local office is satisfied that we notified them once and are not interested in us going on or returning from holiday either in Thailand or elsewhere.