Private VPN - any experience or advice?

PT4

In the past, to use a VPN on your computer, you needed to download and install "client" software. But now, on current Macintosh OSX, the "client" software is built in. Access: > Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network. The configuration details will be specified by the VPN service you use.

Does the native OSX client work with self installed OpenVPN servers? So far I have been using Tunnelblick as an VPN client.

https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/docs/admin-guides/183-how-to-connect-to-access-server-from-a-mac.html

In the past, to use a VPN on your computer, you needed to download and install "client" software. But now, on current Macintosh OSX, the "client" software is built in. Access: > Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network. The configuration details will be specified by the VPN service you use.

Does the native OSX client work with self installed OpenVPN servers? So far I have been using Tunnelblick as an VPN client.

https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/docs/admin-guides/183-how-to-connect-to-access-server-from-a-mac.html

No

PPTP, IPSec and L2TP only. Need an app for OpenVPN.

No

Thanks! Tunnelblick has been working fine for me, but official apple solution would have been better.

No

Thanks! Tunnelblick has been working fine for me, but official apple solution would have been better.

More details on the different protocols and OpenVPN - https://www.ivpn.net/pptp-vs-l2tp-vs-openvpn

Thanks, PT4, makes sense now, I remember downloading VPN software before with different providers.

I am looking at VPS now, but Manarak's comment on using a connection in Europe is interesting as I have a Virgin Media account in the UK which is super high bandwidth, (for the UK anyway 150+Mbps) and rising. How would I connect to that router from Thailand...and could I then run an anonymising VPN or VPS from there? Or install an actual server,

Just thinking out loud really.

you need an actual router connecting to that virgin account in UK.

then configure DDNS on the router, so it can be reached from the internet

then configure VPN server on the router (its probably already built-in), and you are done.

but you won't anonymize anything that way, if you connect to that VPN, you will surf the internet just as if you were physically sitting there using your router in UK.

the connection will be anonymous to anyone outside the UK, because I guess foreign countries don't have access to Virgin's records to ID you.

Anonymising is not possible without masking the IP with a system like Tor, but that is not needed if the requirement is only get around geo-blocking. Be aware that the person running the connecting server/router will have an obligation to provide his details to whatever provider *he* uses, so any of your naughtiness will be blamed on him.

Thanks for the input, guys. I have yet to install a router or decide to with my virgin connection in the UK. My interest was piqued at the possibilities.

I do not need to be anonymous per se, but to have access to what I want when and where I want. I have just had an offer from virgin for an upgrade to 200Mbps with a fancy new cable. Would be nice to have internet access here as if I was in the UK,

nothing creepy to hide from my ISP just would like a full range of service.

Thanks, PT4, makes sense now, I remember downloading VPN software before with different providers.

I am looking at VPS now, but Manarak's comment on using a connection in Europe is interesting as I have a Virgin Media account in the UK which is super high bandwidth, (for the UK anyway 150+Mbps) and rising. How would I connect to that router from Thailand...and could I then run an anonymising VPN or VPS from there? Or install an actual server,

then configure VPN server on the router (its probably already built-in), and you are done.

but you won't anonymize anything that way, if you connect to that VPN, you will surf the internet just as if you were physically sitting there using your router in UK.

the connection will be anonymous to anyone outside the UK, because I guess foreign countries don't have access to Virgin's records to ID you.

Anonymising is not possible without masking the IP with a system like Tor, but that is not needed if the requirement is only get around geo-blocking. Be aware that the person running the connecting server/router will have an obligation to provide his details to whatever provider *he* uses, so any of your naughtiness will be blamed on him.

Thanks for the input, guys. I have yet to install a router or decide to with my virgin connection in the UK. My interest was piqued at the possibilities.

I do not need to be anonymous per se, but to have access to what I want when and where I want. I have just had an offer from virgin for an upgrade to 200Mbps with a fancy new cable. Would be nice to have internet access here as if I was in the UK,

That should be possible - depending on the router. ;)

That should be possible - depending on the router. wink.png

access to the same things, yes.

but the bandwidth will of course be limited to the Thai ISP's capabilities.

Yeah, now that would be nice...got 2.6Mbps here at the moment, just enough to stream a movie .

when you connect to your home router via VPN, your computer will behave exactly as if it was plugged via ethernet in one of the router's LAN outlets. the only thing that is different is connection speed.

Just remember that 200mbps is your download speed. What is the quoted upload speed, as this would also limit the connection speed of the VPN.

What Netflix currently does, is to block IP-ranges from all, well known VPN and "Smartdns" providers.

I've did a quick test with a Digitalocean VPS, located in Frankfurt/Germany and Netflix detected it as a "Proxy/Unblocker"

But my private VPN Server in Germany, running on a 50/10 Mbit/s line, works just fine for Netflix.

So it's not a VPN, but an IP-range problem

Edited by Turkleton

What Netflix currently does, is to block IP-ranges from all, well known VPN and "Smartdns" providers.

I've did a quick test with a Digitalocean VPS, located in Frankfurt/Germany and Netflix detected it as a "Proxy/Unblocker"

But my private VPN Server in Germany, running on a 50/10 Mbit/s line, works just fine for Netflix.

everything always boils down to an IP range problem - since VPN tunnels between two points only, the servers visited by the VPN user have no way to know he sits behind a VPN. The only way is for them to block IP ranges they suppose are allocated to VPN services.

users usign private VPNs won't ever be blocked.

everything always boils down to an IP range problem - since VPN tunnels between two points only, the servers visited by the VPN user have no way to know he sits behind a VPN. The only way is for them to block IP ranges they suppose are allocated to VPN services.

Exactly, and it's because they're analysing their traffic logs and noticing too many users coming from the same IP or range of IPs. I wonder how they're going to deal with the carrier-level NAT that some of the ISPs are rolling out here....because that leads to essentially the same thing that many users are sat behind the same public IP.

Followup from the OP:

Only a few days, but already I'm pleased with my new, private, VPNs (two of them). Speeds certainly faster. And initial connection times at startup are faster, too.

Setting up a private VPN takes a lot more time than subscribing to a commercial VPN service: many hours compared to a few minutes. And there were some technical stumbling-blocks that caused me some aggravation: setup instructions were confusing, and, in one case, contradictory. Hosting services assume the customer has a lot more technical expertise than I have. But that's done now. For the benefits of "invisibility" to blockers, and a nice increase in speed, I'll be using private VPNs from now on.

Edited by PT4

Exactly, and it's because they're analysing their traffic logs and noticing too many users coming from the same IP or range of IPs. I wonder how they're going to deal with the carrier-level NAT that some of the ISPs are rolling out here....because that leads to essentially the same thing that many users are sat behind the same public IP.

Actually the proposal to funnel/filter everything through a single gateway will make the services job of geo-blocking much easier. Blocking is almost always by country, so only one gateway to block :)

Actually the proposal to funnel/filter everything through a single gateway will make the services job of geo-blocking much easier. Blocking is almost always by country, so only one gateway to block smile.png

Yes, that sounds like a very clever idea, blocking complete countries in which you offer your services too...whistling.gif

Actually the proposal to funnel/filter everything through a single gateway will make the services job of geo-blocking much easier. Blocking is almost always by country, so only one gateway to block smile.png

Yes, that sounds like a very clever idea, blocking complete countries in which you offer your services too...whistling.gif

Many services on the internet are visible worldwide, but the copyright and licence requirements mean that it is for consumption only in certain countries - hence the rest of the world needs to be blocked from the service.

Many services on the internet are visible worldwide....

Yes and most are available though via VPN.

But we were talking about NETFLIX and they for example, block German IP-Ranges for users inside Germany (or US IP-ranges for users inside USA).

So even if you stay in the US, you won't be able to watch Netflix through an US VPN!

It would be easy to circumvent, if they would "only" block some countries and not IP-ranges.

Many services on the internet are visible worldwide....

Yes and most are available though via VPN.

But we were talking about NETFLIX and they for example, block German IP-Ranges for users inside Germany (or US IP-ranges for users inside USA).

So even if you stay in the US, you won't be able to watch Netflix through an US VPN!

It would be easy to circumvent, if they would "only" block some countries and not IP-ranges.

Absolutely agree smile.png Some of the clowns who write the blacklists are too lazy to actually look at what they are blocking. :(

Edited by jpinx

In case some may have missed it but Netflix is now available in Thailand.

Netflix comes to Thailand, no more reason to ever leave the house again

Get the popcorn out and say goodbye to your social life: Netflix has finally arrived in Thailand.

The internet TV service has expanded to more than 130 new countries around the world, including Thailand.

The streaming service allows users to watch TV shows and movies on any device with an internet connection for a set fee per month.

That includes Netflix original shows like Marvel’s Daredevil, Marvel’s Jessica Jones, Narcos, Sense8, Grace and Frankie, and Marco Polo.

The company said this year it would release 31 new shows, two dozen original feature films and documentaries, a wide range of stand-up comedy specials and 30 new kids shows.

Plans start from THB280 a month, and the first month is free.

But if you have less cash to flash you might want to stick to Thai favorite iflix - just THB100 a month.

Coconuts

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok January 7, 2016