USA Citizens, Income Proof From Bangkok Embassy, Good Outside

Are the "income statements", which amount to a sworn affidavit made out to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok from the U.S. Citizen, accepted by Thai Immigration as proof of income, good for use with an application for a Retirement Visa in neighboring countries? What additional documents do you need, if any? Thank you.

I think you are asking about getting a non-o visa for being 50 or over at a Thai embassy or consulate. They will accept the income affidavit to prove your income of 65k baht or more.

If applying at Vientiane or Penang they will ask for nothing more than the affidavit and your passport to prove your age.

• Like 1

I think you are asking about getting a non-o visa for being 50 or over at a Thai embassy or consulate. They will accept the income affidavit to prove your income of 65k baht or more.

If applying at Vientiane or Penang they will ask for nothing more than the affidavit and your passport to prove your age.

You maybe (probably are!) correct but that is not what the OP says or asks about ! smile.png

"You maybe (probably are!) correct but that is not what the OP says or asks about !"

Maybe it could have been worded differently to make it clearer, but I think ubonjoe is correct about what the OP really wants.

OP, give the consulate a copy of the income letter, not the original. That way you won't need to get another one when you do the extension at immigration.

• Like 2

Sorry if I confused anyone.

The affidavit was obtained in Thailand, and as some know, is a standard sort of informal document made out to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok stating under oath that your income is $$$$ monthly(this part is hand written). Said affidavit then is notarized for a fee of apx. 1850 Baht(or USD $50.). This notarized aspect makes it a sworn affidavit. My question was simply if someone chooses to get his/her Type O? aka Retirement Visa outside Thailand, in Cambodia or Laos, can this be used as the proof of his/her income considering it's made out to the U.S.Embassy in Bangkok, and NOT the U.S.Embassy in whatever country she finds herself. It isn't made out to Thai Immigration or the Thai Government, therefore my question. Thank you and kind regards.

The key is that you will be using at a Thai Consulate so yes it will normally be accepted as stated above. My mis-understanding was that you wanted to use for another countries requirements for retirement rather than for Thailand.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

The affidavit was obtained in Thailand, and as some know, is a standard sort of informal document made out to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok stating under oath that your income is $$$$ monthly(this part is hand written). Said affidavit then is notarized for a fee of apx. 1850 Baht(or USD $50.). This notarized aspect makes it a sworn affidavit. My question was simply if someone chooses to get his/her Type O? aka Retirement Visa outside Thailand, in Cambodia or Laos, can this be used as the proof of his/her income considering it's made out to the U.S.Embassy in Bangkok, and NOT the U.S.Embassy in whatever country she finds herself. It isn't made out to Thai Immigration or the Thai Government, therefore my question. Thank you and kind regards.

If it was issued by the US Embassy in Bangkok, your/her personal data are shown on the affidavit and it is less than six months old it will be accepted as proof of income by Thai Embassy's/Consulates in the countries you mention

The affidavit is not "made out to" the US Embassy but rather it is issued by the Embassy to you/her.

• Like 1

The income affidavit is addressed to immigration in Bangkok. But the nearby Thai embassies and consulates will accept them. As said make copy and attach it to the visa application and keep the original to sappy for the extension.

"Thai Immigration Bureau 1

Government Complex Bldg. B
(2nd Floor, South Zone)
Chaengwattana Road
Toong Song Hong, Laksi
Bangkok 10210
Dear Sir/Madam"
Download of the affidavit and link to fill it out online is here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

"You maybe (probably are!) correct but that is not what the OP says or asks about !"

Maybe it could have been worded differently to make it clearer, but I think ubonjoe is correct about what the OP really wants.

OP, give the consulate a copy of the income letter, not the original. That way you won't need to get another one when you do the extension at immigration.

Can I ask, please, is the letter in Thai or English and if English would Penang accept it, or does it need to be translated into Thai by the Thai or US embassy in Thailand or Malaysia?

The income affidavit is addressed to immigration in Bangkok. But the nearby Thai embassies and consulates will accept them. As said make copy and attach it to the visa application and keep the original to sappy for the extension.

(2nd Floor, South Zone)
Chaengwattana Road
Toong Song Hong, Laksi
Bangkok 10210
Dear Sir/Madam"
Download of the affidavit and link to fill it out online is here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

Does it need the embassy to stamp it as certified or can you fill it out and present it to Penang?

Can you use a Thai notary or official?

(2nd Floor, South Zone)
Chaengwattana Road
Toong Song Hong, Laksi
Bangkok 10210
Dear Sir/Madam"

Does it need the embassy to stamp it as certified or can you fill it out and present it to Penang?

Can you use a Thai notary or official?

If has to signed and sworn in front of a consular officer at the embassy. If you look at the form it is on embassy letter head.

It must be signed and sealed by US Embassy Consular Officer making it a legal document subject to prosecution if any information is false. It will be in English and English is accepted by both immigration and Thai Consulates

The form that is sworn and notarized at US Embassy has the official US gov't seal. Not for use by any other officials or notaries.

Upon inspection this morning, I took said sworn, sealed affidavit to a good copy shop to make a couple color copies. As I feared, despite my effort with the copy man, you can't get the US Govt' Seal to reproduce making a copy. It is as one might expect, an embossed seal but without any color. A suggestion was made earlier to make a copy and use it, keeping the original. Once again, getting specific with details, so please answer if you know(or care), can you use a good copy which is in color(date and a stamp in red) to gain your "Type O" VISA either here in Thailand or at a nearby countries Thai Consulate? Sorry to nit pick, but it's easier to know these things before traveling and/or standing in line for hours.

On a related note and mention, it doesn't appear to be notarized in the typical Notary fashion. The US Embassy is just making a fee for as we know, giving their seal etc.. I seriously doubt a criminal prosecution would survive such a thing but in the instance being discussed, not an issue.

If any person shall willfully and corruptly commit perjury, or by any means procure any person to commit perjury in any such oath, affirmation, affidavit, or deposition, within the intent and meaning of any Act of Congress now or hereafter made, such offender may be charged, proceeded against, tried, convicted, and dealt with in any district of the United States, in the same manner, in all respects, as if such offense had been committed in the United States, before any officer duly authorized therein to administer or take such oath, affirmation, affidavit, or deposition, and shall be subject to the same punishment and disability therefor as are or shall be prescribed by any such act for such offense; and any document purporting to have affixed, impressed, or subscribed thereto, or thereon the seal and signature of the officer administering or taking the same in testimony thereof, shall be admitted in evidence without proof of any such seal or signature being genuine or of the official character of such person; and if any person shall forge any such seal or signature, or shall tender in evidence any such document with a false or counterfeit seal or signature thereto, knowing the same to be false or counterfeit, he shall be deemed and taken to be guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction shall be imprisoned not exceeding three years nor less than one year, and fined, in a sum not to exceed $3,000, and may be charged, proceeded against, tried, convicted, and dealt with therefor in the district where he may be arrested or in custody. Pursuant to such regulations as the Secretary of State may prescribe, the Secretary may designate any other employee of the Department of State who is a citizen of the United States to perform any notarial function authorized to be performed by a consular officer of the United States under this Act.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/22/4221

The form that is sworn and notarized at US Embassy has the official US gov't seal. Not for use by any other officials or notaries.

Upon inspection this morning, I took said sworn, sealed affidavit to a good copy shop to make a couple color copies. As I feared, despite my effort with the copy man, you can't get the US Govt' Seal to reproduce making a copy. It is as one might expect, an embossed seal but without any color. A suggestion was made earlier to make a copy and use it, keeping the original. Once again, getting specific with details, so please answer if you know(or care), can you use a good copy which is in color(date and a stamp in red) to gain your "Type O" VISA either here in Thailand or at a nearby countries Thai Consulate? Sorry to nit pick, but it's easier to know these things before traveling and/or standing in line for hours.

On a related note and mention, it doesn't appear to be notarized in the typical Notary fashion. The US Embassy is just making a fee for as we know, giving their seal etc.. I seriously doubt a criminal prosecution would survive such a thing but in the instance being discussed, not an issue.

It is likely that a copy will be accepted if you have the original to show.

Copies will not be accepted by Thai immigration for the purpose of obtaining an extension of stay.

The immigration requirement is 800k in account 3 months (2 months first application) or 65k per month pension or a combination to meet 800k per year. The proof of pension is always a letter from your Embassy - further supporting documents can be asked but seldom are.

Poster is talking about area Thai Consulate requirements to obtain a non immigrant O visa.

I am confused; I thought immigration required 800K in a Thai bank or 65K income proof.blink.pnghuh.png

The 65k baht income proof is what is being discussed in this topic. I see no other amount mentioned.

FYI there are 3 options. The other is a combination of money in the bank and income totaling 800k baht.

.. it doesn't appear to be notarized in the typical Notary fashion. The US Embassy is just making a fee for as we know, giving their seal etc.. I seriously doubt a criminal prosecution would survive such a thing but in the instance being discussed, not an issue.

Notary Publics are a state function and forms can vary from state to state. Federal law allows certain military officers and consulate to perform the service outside the US since notaries are only allowed to perform the service within their states.

TH

I am confused; I thought immigration required 800K in a Thai bank or 65K income proof.blink.pnghuh.png

From US Embassy - Bangkok website http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#auth_vital_records :

Authentication of Vital Records, Academic, Commercial or Other Credentials Issued in the U.S.
U.S. Consular officers are not empowered to authenticate public documents issued in the United States. Such documents include vital records (birth, marriage, death, and divorce), as well as academic, commercial, or other credentials. Consular officers do not have access to the records of the issuing office or the seal of the custodian of these records.

Certification of True Copies of Documents

We often get requests to certify true copies of educational transcripts or diplomas, bank statements, court documents, or other such official records. Unfortunately, our offices cannot ordinarily provide certified true copies of documents. Such requests should usually be addressed to the office which issued the document in question. For example, certified true copies of academic records should be requested from the registrar of the institution that originally issued them. For more information, please consult ...

-- but on this one, you really don't want to know the procedure.