Central Group worried consumer spending remains flat in Thailand

webfact

I hate being followed around the store by the agents just looking for the commission, not helpful at all or really there to answer any of my questions, they don't know anything about what they're selling. They stare at me impatiently as I look the product up on Amazon or some other review site, really having no idea what I'm doing, just standing next to me looking at my phone. When I finally make a decision on what I want they literally grab the item out of my hands when I could just walk it over to the cashier myself. I rarely shop there now anyway because of that. Plus the tops supermarkets are way overpriced compared to what you get at Foodland.

the worst scenario is when you go with your thai wife. She will get harassed, pushed, pressurized to buy the whole shop... because she is walking with the farang atm.

My wife always stays far away from me in Homepro or so. She doesn't want to listen to those salespeople and when i'm alone they mostly leave me alone.

Also i don't want to speak to them, they don't know anything and also can't speak english.

Even in Central Chidlom the salesguys who sell 200.000 baht beds from Auping or Lazyboy recliners from 100+k can't speak a word english....What a missed chance for them.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im telling you, the wind is blowing inside these shops compared to how sales were a few years ago. People just don't have the apetite to spend that much and they got used to the ongoing scam of pricing a T shirt at 18,000 baht (which is three times the price in Europe) and then discounting it 80%, making the final price of that t-shirt 3,600 baht. The millions of Chinese tourists that TAT is so proud of are mostly middle class and when they convert to yuan they get a heart attack.

I really don't know what you're talking about...the most I've paid for t-shirts is maybe 300-400 baht for a three-pack. ?

Ha! And you want to pretend your in the top 10% even a lousy lacoste t-shirt costs upwards of 3000 baht I just bought a nautic polo shirt and light summer weight jacket for nearly 20000 baht. So where are these 100 baht shirts? Soi buakhow markets perhaps?

Im telling you, the wind is blowing inside these shops compared to how sales were a few years ago. People just don't have the apetite to spend that much and they got used to the ongoing scam of pricing a T shirt at 18,000 baht (which is three times the price in Europe) and then discounting it 80%, making the final price of that t-shirt 3,600 baht. The millions of Chinese tourists that TAT is so proud of are mostly middle class and when they convert to yuan they get a heart attack.

I really don't know what you're talking about...the most I've paid for t-shirts is maybe 300-400 baht for a three-pack. ?

Ha! And you want to pretend your in the top 10% even a lousy lacoste t-shirt costs upwards of 3000 baht I just bought a nautic polo shirt and light summer weight jacket for nearly 20000 baht. So where are these 100 baht shirts? Soi buakhow markets perhaps?

Lacoste is almost NEVER in the sale, max. 10% off. But since a year or so i've seen it in sale with 30-50% off in Thailand. That's very rare for Lacoste.

Other brands (like Pierre Cardin) are impossible to find without the 50% salediscount. It's ALWAYS in the sale in BKK, everywhere.

The Chinese are being brought to the Outlet square in BKK, that's where they like to shop for brandnames.

Nautica is also often in the sale and you might even find it in those exportshops in the malls.

To take my 1 year old son into the play area costs me 80bt for 30 minutes and they charge me to supervise him. Ends up 200bt for an hour for an overcrowded kids pen.

Harbor Mall is 120bt for both of us for the entire day and there is much, much more to do.

I for 1 would celebrate the greedy b's in Central going broke. Typical of rip-off Thailand mentality.

Wow...good for you. I bet you're really styling walking around Thailand in those duds. I bet they have their brand name splashed out in big letters too so you can impress everyone you happen to meet ???

Even in Central Chidlom the salesguys who sell 200.000 baht beds from Auping or Lazyboy recliners from 100+k can't speak a word english....What a missed chance for them.

I wonder what the ratio of sales to Thais and farangs is for these toys...50/1...100/1. Hardly any loss from non-English speaking salesmen I would imagine. You suffer from the "Expat farangs are important to the Thai domestic economy falacy."

In any case, it's a bed or a chair...not much to say about these everyday household items. Any farang could easily look up any info or product reviews they need from the manufacturer's website or Amazon.

I really don't know what you're talking about...the most I've paid for t-shirts is maybe 300-400 baht for a three-pack.

Tee shirts and shorts by "Cove" at Big C, tee shirts Thb117. Good quality and farang sizes, particularly hansum, in fact I flatter myself that I cut quite a dash, ( although obviously not in the top 10%)!

If the brand name is important, I know of a little chap near the night bazaar who will attach any logo you want for a reasonable fee, thus restoring your credibility in percentage terms☺☺☺

I really don't know what you're talking about...the most I've paid for t-shirts is maybe 300-400 baht for a three-pack.

Tee shirts and shorts by "Cove" at Big C, tee shirts Thb117. Good quality and farang sizes, particularly hansum, in fact I flatter myself that I cut quite a dash, ( although obviously not in the top 10%)!

If the brand name is important, I know of a little chap near the night bazaar who will attach any logo you want for a reasonable fee, thus restoring your credibility in percentage terms☺☺☺

Jag, i used to be like you.. now I know that many of the brand names are just much better quality wise. Its not the name but how long the T shirt stays good after washing and how it looks and is designed. I gladly pay extra for quality (not just for a name) Of course the pricing should not be ridiculous.

The Big C clothes are cheap junk. They don't fit properly, pockets are too short, the t-shirts have thin fabric. Typically, name brand means you get a higher quality of clothing.

I bought a knock off North Face backpack a few years ago. Lasted all of a week. Bought a cheap one at Tesco. Lasted a month. My Eagle Creek and North Face backpacks are still going strong after over 10 years of heavy use traveling all over the world. They've suffered major abuse.

Sometimes, you do get what you pay for. So yes, name brands are important.

To take my 1 year old son into the play area costs me 80bt for 30 minutes and they charge me to supervise him. Ends up 200bt for an hour for an overcrowded kids pen.

Harbor Mall is 120bt for both of us for the entire day and there is much, much more to do.

I for 1 would celebrate the greedy b's in Central going broke. Typical of rip-off Thailand mentality.

I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but the Chevrevenot (or however you spell it) family, the owners of the Central Group of companies, are the second or third richest in Thailand. So I don't think they will be going broke anytime soon.

In fact, they're going international. I was surprised to find, on my Songkran sojourn in Jakarta, that Central is the anchor department store in of the high-end malls in town.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The Big C clothes are cheap junk. They don't fit properly, pockets are too short, the t-shirts have thin fabric. Typically, name brand means you get a higher quality of clothing.

I bought a knock off North Face backpack a few years ago. Lasted all of a week. Bought a cheap one at Tesco. Lasted a month. My Eagle Creek and North Face backpacks are still going strong after over 10 years of heavy use traveling all over the world. They've suffered major abuse.

Well I beg to differ. The Big C shorts and tee shirts I bought are good quality, not fantastic but good, and have survived numerous cold water washes in a top loading washing machine - which is not gentle. Best Beloved dries them flat rather than on a hanger so they keep their shape - I wish I could say the same myself, as the years advance!

Of course a ThB 100 shirt from a market stall will not be of high quality. As for paying ThB 20000 for a polo shirt and a light jacket? No thank you, not even with the most prestigious label!

With respect. Impossible to compare Big C clothing to that from North Face or similar. Apples and oranges. And if you are somewhere remote, you'll be happy you bought the best. Nothing like having an equipment breakdown when you are in the middle of nowhere.

With respect. Impossible to compare Big C clothing to that from North Face or similar. Apples and oranges. And if you are somewhere remote, you'll be happy you bought the best. Nothing like having an equipment breakdown when you are in the middle of nowhere.

It's all made in some factory in Cambodia or Bangladesh. ?

But I take your point, there are some brands out there that are definitely better quality than others, however, there is little relationship between quality and price, i.e., "value."

I basically keep two separate wardrobes... stylish high-quality shirts, pants, and especially walking shoes for trips to Europe and back home to USA and another one for knocking about Thailand and SE Asia. The local wardrobe consists of a mix of stuff from the sales table at Central (some great buys) and stuff from Big C and the local Thai markets (mostly gifts from Thais). Allot of the local stuff fits fine and is surprisingly well made and long lasting.

H

The only good thing about Central is the TOPS food hall which is much better value and has more selection than overpriced Villa. Oh, and one measly B2S Bookstore (well, who actually reads here, right?). The rest is overpriced and terrible value for money.

It's not just in Thailand that bookstores are closing down.

Most read everything they read including books on a tablet or phonr.

It's worldwide.

Edited by brianinbangkok

I don't understand why The North Face gives 2 years warranty in Thailand and 5-10 years abroad.

The copycopy TNF backpacks last a week or 2, then they zippers malfunction. Many times when i check bags being sold on the streets the zippers allready have a problem and just open somewhere in the middle.

But if you look in Supersports at their backpacks from USA then they cost more than double/triple the american retailprice.

Perhaps made in the same country. But to entirely different standards. When I'm on top of Kilimanjaro, price is not my #1 consideration. Far from it.

Well I must confess I am talking about going for a glass ( or several) of beer in Chiang Rai rather than scaling Kilimanjaro!

However each to his own....

Edited by JAG

Perhaps made in the same country. But to entirely different standards. When I'm on top of Kilimanjaro, price is not my #1 consideration. Far from it.

Well I must confess I am talking about going for a glass ( or several) of beer in Chiang Rai rather than scaling Kilimanjaro!

However each to his own....

As mentioned above, each has it's own purpose. When I head down to the beach here, I've got my cheap shorts on I got from the market. When headed overseas or on a long trip, no way would I bring that junk. Just not worth the hassles when it breaks. Plus, they aren't really that good looking and not nearly as comfortable as better made clothing.

Kili was a bit of an extreme example, but the same could be applied to my last trip to Europe. Quality clothes and shoes doe make a more enjoyable trip.

I don't understand why The North Face gives 2 years warranty in Thailand and 5-10 years abroad.

The copycopy TNF backpacks last a week or 2, then they zippers malfunction. Many times when i check bags being sold on the streets the zippers allready have a problem and just open somewhere in the middle.

But if you look in Supersports at their backpacks from USA then they cost more than double/triple the american retailprice.

I have a high quality pair of sunglasses. 2 pair actually. I've had problems with both. Delaminating. Contacted the manufacturers rep here, they both wanted money. Worked through the US and I got both replaced for free. Not sure why, but that's what I experienced.

Prices are much higher here. Sometimes, you can get good stuff for only 25% more. But the selection here is terrible. I miss REI!!! With staff who really understand what they are selling. Even Supersports is divided into areas that are individually run. Tough way to do comparison shopping.

There has been some mention of the high prices for clothes and other items at the Central Department stores. While I'll be the first to admit that some stuff is expensive compared to our home markets, there are also many good buys, especially on shoes and clothes, if one keeps an eye on the sales.

As an example, today, there was a table with Polo Club brand denim jeans at 2 pairs for B790 (400 baht each). How cheap is that! These are good quality medium to heavy weight jeans, that were originally priced at about 2k. (I don't know if they were ever actually sold for that amount or were some overstock bought for sale at the cheaper prices.) In any case, I bought myself two pairs. I doubt you could find jeans cheaper at the Bua Khow market or Walmart (certainly for this fabric and sewing quality).

post-167660-0-32424000-1463193977_thumb.

post-167660-0-68527800-1463194016_thumb.

post-167660-0-82049300-1463194034_thumb.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

There has been some mention of the high prices for clothes and other items at the Central Department stores. While I'll be the first to admit that some stuff is expensive compared to our home markets, there are also many good buys, especially on shoes and clothes, if one keeps an eye on the sales.

As an example, today, there was a table with Polo Club brand denim jeans at 2 pairs for B790 (400 baht each). How cheap is that! These are good quality medium to heavy weight jeans, that were originally priced at about 2k. (I don't know if they were ever actually sold for that amount or were some overstock bought for sale at the cheaper prices.) In any case, I bought myself two pairs. I doubt you could find jeans cheaper at the Bua Khow market or Walmart (certainly for this fabric and sewing quality).

attachicon.gif20160514_083253.jpg

attachicon.gif20160513_120003.jpg

attachicon.gif20160513_120012.jpg

This brand sold cheaper on Amazon in America

Sorry nothing to do with Beverly Hills or Polo Club

It is a cheap Amazon label item

This brand sold cheaper on Amazon in America

Sorry nothing to do with Beverly Hills or Polo Club

It is a cheap Amazon label item

I don't care about the brand (just mentioned it because it's the brand). The point of my post was to show that Central has often has good buys if one keeps an eye out...like these $11.50 pair of jeans.

If you can buy them cheaper on Amazon or Cosco if living in the States good for you. We living in thailand dont have that option. If you live in thailand and on principle refuse to be ripped-off by Central, order them from Amazon and have them shipped to you.

"Polo Club brand denim jeans"

????

tongue.png i have to google it, and even google dont know laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

here polo club

main_logo.png

here the famous Ralph Lauren

ralph-lauren-polo-blue-ocean2.jpg

clap2.gif

i dont think tourists will go shopping in pattaya for the copy

ps : OMGiMinpattaya you are a cheapskatewhistling.gif

Edited by Bender

????

tongue.png i have to google it, and even google dont know laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

here polo club

main_logo.png

clap2.gif

I think I mentioned it before but I'll say it again...I don't care about brand names but do appreciate value. These jeans are just as good a quality as the designer brands you seem to fancy and probably come off the same factory sewing line. The only difference is what label the seamstress reaches for to sew into them when she's done.

And I used to be in the fashion industry so at least clothes I know a bit about. And I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your Ralph Lauren clothes (the name sorta conjures up a waspy New England family with a country estate doesn't it...and it's meant to for people like you) are really by "Ralph Lifshitz." Yep, your expensive "Polo Ralph Lauren" clothes are really brought to you by the son of Eastern European Jewish immigrants to the U.S. Apparently he changed his name to make it easier to pronounce but I suspect it was to hide his ethnic background. So seems to me the jokes on you and your admiration of silly branded fashion names ?

http://www.biography.com/people/ralph-lauren-9374814

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

????

here polo club

main_logo.png

clap2.gif

I think I mentioned it before but I'll say it again...I don't care about brand names but do appreciate value. These jeans are just as good a quality as the designer brands you seem to fancy and probably come off the same factory sewing line. The only difference is what label the seamstress reaches for to sew into them when she's done.

And I used to be in the fashion industry so at least clothes I know a bit about. And I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your Ralph Lauren clothes (the name sorta conjures up a waspy New England family with a country estate doesn't it...and it's meant to for people like you) are really by "Ralph Lifshitz." Yep, your expensive "Polo Ralph Lauren" clothes are really brought to you by the son of Eastern European Jewish immigrants to the U.S. Apparently he changed his name to make it easier to pronounce but I suspect it was to hide his ethnic background. So seems to me the jokes on you and your admiration of silly branded fashion names ?

http://www.biography.com/people/ralph-lauren-9374814

clap2.gif

so in others words and if i get it right, you cant afford quality stuff, you live on the cheap, and you hate us for your dismiss, right?cheesy.gif

An advice, OMG, you should spend less money on your hairy ladyboys, and take care of yourself a little bit morewhistling.gif

"And I used to be in the fashion industry"

let me guess, you were are a supermodel, thats explain the ''hello hansun men"laugh.png

????

here polo club

main_logo.png

clap2.gif

That's a "brand" in the same way as The Boss, G. Armani and Armani Brothers, those Indian tailors that have been offering the finest in men's fashion to satisfied customers for decades.

That said, I agree clothing prices can be reasonable if you wait for the big promotions. Full price is often expensive, outlandishly so.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

Get used to it! Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar....are all adapting to world trends in education, commerce, technology....

Without the will to change, and proper guidance, (yes by foreigners, or aliens) Thailand is doomed to fall into the hub of obscurity.

"Get used to it! Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar....are all adapting to world trends in education, commerce, technology....".

For example?

I can't do the research for you, but I hope you are reading something besides TV. They are all bringing in outside expertise to address the move forward in competition. Send me your email, and I will send you articles!