Residence Certificate

A short time ago I asked for some advice about car ownership. I got some very helpful replies many thanks. The first thing to do was to get a residency certificate from immigration they said I had to obtain this from the British Embassy. My question is this “Will the certificate issued by the Embassy have any standing or value when it comes to car purchase or opening bank accounts or obtaining a Thai Driving licence”? Thanks in advance.

I just went through this.

You'll need the certificate for license and car purchase and they dont let you keep it so you have to get two.

I think they expire after 30 days so dont get them until you need them.

The appoinment for the British embassy has to be booked on line and can take 10 business days or so - you need to plan ahead.

Dont be late they will send you away (happened while i was there)

To get the certificate you will need your passport and proof of local address with your name on it - I used a 3BB internet monthly bill

You will need to know the full address in English (write it down) but the admin will check to make sure the english matches the Thai if your proof is in Thai.

You will fill the form in English and they then take it with your proof and about 20 mins later they'll ask you to sign and give you the certificate.

You will need one certificate to get your driving license

You will need another certificate to register the car

Each one is a little over 3000 Baht

For the bank account i just needed a passport with a valid visa and some money - but the experience seems to vary by bank and location.

• Like 2

I just went through this.

You'll need the certificate for license and car purchase and they dont let you keep it so you have to get two.

I think they expire after 30 days so dont get them until you need them.

The appoinment for the British embassy has to be booked on line and can take 10 business days or so - you need to plan ahead.

Dont be late they will send you away (happened while i was there)

To get the certificate you will need your passport and proof of local address with your name on it - I used a 3BB internet monthly bill

You will need to know the full address in English (write it down) but the admin will check to make sure the english matches the Thai if your proof is in Thai.

You will fill the form in English and they then take it with your proof and about 20 mins later they'll ask you to sign and give you the certificate.

You will need one certificate to get your driving license

You will need another certificate to register the car

Each one is a little over 3000 Baht

For the bank account i just needed a passport with a valid visa and some money - but the experience seems to vary by bank and location.

Many Thanks for your positive help.

• 2 weeks later...

get yourself a yellow book from local ampur no need for embassy 2000 bht or immigration poss 600 bht

50 bht and finish

Many thanks will look at both options.

Can you tell me what is required in order to get a yellow book?? I enquired last year at our local amphur, they were very pleasant and helpful but told me that, among other things, I would have to get my passport translated into Thai and the translation certified?? Thats not so easy when you live in the sticks so I dropped the idea...but am still interested if you can shed some light??

ok i live in ambur meang kalasin so not necessarily relevant to all my application was made about 2 years ago

i took my passport/wifes blue book/id also the poo yai ban had to attend to verify all was true /correct

i have heard recently that an added requirement outside meang kalasin has been as you say a translated copy of passport

since then i have obtained a non thai id card which according to my wife seems to be infomation wise, a duplicate portable version of the yellow book

all in thai name address etc as to the reason for p/p translation i don't know but i expect other posters may help with that one