Traffic police to propose prison term for motorists ignoring traffic tickets

webfact

Traffic police to propose prison term for motorists ignoring traffic tickets

89-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Traffic Police Division is to propose the government to enforce Section 44 of the interim constitution to impose prison terms for traffic violators who ignore traffic tickets for over three months.

The proposal stemmed from the fact that over a million traffic violators still do not come up to pay traffic tickets.

According to the Traffic Police Division, over 1.4 million traffic tickets were issued last year, but merely 400,000 were paid.

Deputy commander of the Traffic Police Division, Pol Col Ekarak Limsangkat said that under his proposal, traffic ticket exceeding 60 days will face increased fine to 1,000 – 5,000 baht, while those exceeding 90 days will be subject to three months in prison, and a fine of 2,000-10,000 baht.

Motorist ignoring traffic tickets will also have their driving licences confiscated, and the police can propose the court to suspend driving licence for over a month, or even to withdraw their driving licences.

He said the proposal would be first forwarded to the Royal Thai Police and to the government and the military junta for approval.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/153438

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-03

Trying to enforce more BS on the public, I left the west for some freedom ,

Freedom = lawlessness ?

Oops, sorry forgot: Don't feed the trolls.

dftt.jpg?w=265&h=300

Edited by Morakot

It's needed, but once again these clowns are avoiding the real issues while pretending that they are doing something. Jail red light jumpers, get serious about dangerous driving and so on. Saving lives is far more important than hollow threats to jail someone for not paying a fine.

The traffic police division must have been standing at the rear end of the queue when intelligence was being handed out. Goal for not paying a fine but freedom for drunken traffic accidents, corruption and murderers.

They need to stop taste testing the drugs they confiscate.

Wow...

Traffic police I define as those that enforce All Traffic Related Laws..

1. Double Parking

2. Driving Opposite direction

3. Intersection lights operating

4. Operating where high accident levels occur.

5. Those who stop 2km before a check point grab

6. Commercial transportation all get soberity/drug checked

7. Enforce red zone parking

8. Enforce After hours night clubs (Tai Pan in Patong)

9. Enforce free public parking. Soi Sansabie, Ex-Pat Soi, Patong Beach Road, Rat-u-Thit Rd., Kata Rd. Instead of paid parking or Tuk Tuk only parking.

The list of traffic violations is endless.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's payday!

You forgot :

*Triple parking

*Quadruple parking

*U turn murderer !

Wow...

Traffic police I define as those that enforce All Traffic Related Laws..

1. Double Parking
2. Driving Opposite direction
3. Intersection lights operating
4. Operating where high accident levels occur.
5. Those who stop 2km before a check point grab
6. Commercial transportation all get soberity/drug checked
7. Enforce red zone parking
8. Enforce After hours night clubs (Tai Pan in Patong)
9. Enforce free public parking. Soi Sansabie, Ex-Pat Soi, Patong Beach Road, Rat-u-Thit Rd., Kata Rd. Instead of paid parking or Tuk Tuk only parking.

The list of traffic violations is endless.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It's payday!

I think the average Thai sees the police and traffic laws as a temporary inconvenience. Every time I go out I see motorists and motor bikers breaking the law in front of the traffic police sitting in their little air conditioned bunker pushing buttons for the traffic lights, which, by the way, are connected to a computerized traffic control system.

I thought that if a traffic fine was not paid it was added to the vehicle road tax renewal. So when the owner, not necessarily the offender, went to renew the vehicle registration he would first have to pay any outstanding traffic fines. Probably not a big concern to a lot of Thais as they never renew the registration anyway.

I wonder how many man hours were lost writting up the 1 million unpaid tickets?

How do you know who was driving/parked the car when it was ticketed, who is jailed?

Yearly renewal of sticker is denied if there is unpaid ticket out, sounds like more graft is being exposed.

Edited by slapout

I am guessing many are lawyers and politicians (who were not recognized) and know

they can just ignore the tickets. The easier solution rather than imposing article 44

is to ling parking and traffic tickets to licence plate and drivers licence renewal. Any

outstanding tickets and the cars licence and the drivers license is not renewed. coffee1.gif

OK , but where do they send the ticket ? To the address from when you got your blue book , ( where I have not been for 7 years) , or your actual address , known by immigration ?

".............known by immigration ?"

Immigration still Royal Thai Police.

I thought the police role was to enforce the law and the courts role to interpret it and decide punishment.

But this is Thailand and every buffalo in uniform makes it up to suit some brain spasm of the day.

What about goal for police who turn a blind eye to crime because they are just bloody lazy and prefer to sit on their arse rather than do what they are paid for.

Edited by Reigntax

over 1.4 million traffic tickets were issued last year does this include all the cashers paid in the folded up notes to the ticket issuing police constables who work in small packs at certain junctions.

According to the Traffic Police Division, over 1.4 million traffic tickets were issued last year, but merely 400,000 were paid.

This is really making the BIB mad because 1 million folks decided not to pay the ticket "or make an on the spot donation to prevent the ticket from being written." This is seriously affecting BIB income levels.