Nationality of witnesses for marriage at Bang Rak?

Tomtomtom69

Do the 2 witnesses needed for marrying at Bang Rak both have to be Thai citizens or can say one be a foreigner?

If so, would the foreigner have to bring along a copy of their passport?

It used to be the case that no witnesses were required but now we've been told that witnesses are required (although they could be other couples waiting to get married themselves).

I don't think there are restrictions about the nationality of the witnesses.

If you don't have anyone, the office staff will volunteer and you'll be ask for a small denotation to a charitable cause.

I think both witnesses have to be Thai. I got married at the Lak Si District office a few years ago and no witnesses were required....well I should say we didnt have to provide them. Funny story but it went like this: The boss lady is the one who marries you but she has an assistant who speaks a little english and makes sure you have all your paperwork in order first. While the assistant was checking all our papers she informed us that we need to put some cash in an envelope for the two witnesses....of course it was one of those "up to you" type deals. I eventually got out of her that 400 baht would be acceptable and not offend. This we did and then had to wait our turn to see the big boss lady. We waited about two hours and of coarse 12.00 o'clock lunch time came and we were told to come back after lunch (1.00pm) which we did. The boss lady must have had an 'extended lunch' because she didnt show up till about 2. She married one couple in front of us and then we were informed she had a meeting so we would have to wait another hour. Finally she shows up after about 90 minutes and tends to another couple, the only ones in front of us now. I of course am busting to get out of the joint by then so am intently watching this boss lady hoping she will finish with them soon and tend to us. Next minute an almighty row erupts from this couple, mainly between the farang and the Thai girl with him but also directed at the boss lady. The boss lady picks up a stack of papers, throws them down in front of the farang, stands, and points to the door. The farang and Thai girl them storm out still screaming abuse at each other.

We are then finally called up in front of the by now very agitated boss lady. However she and the assistant seem to be fully absorbed in shuffling through papers on one of the most disorganised desk tops I have ever seen. There were papers all over her desk, and on the cupboard behind her, but with no discernable method in the way they were kept or placed. Eventually she informs us that the farang before us "had taken all our paperwork"!!!

Luckily I had brought lots of copies of everything just in case and the required originals that had been taken were waived because the assistant had sited them before they reached the boss lady's desk so not long after we were married. The only thing that was not in the second lot of paperwork was of coarse the "witness" money in the envelope and I sure wasnt forthcoming with a second offering!! I must add that at no time did I actually see any witnesses, nor did the paperwork leave our sight for others to sign. I can only assume that the assistant was one of the witnesses and possibly another in the office was the other?? I did notice however during the many hours there, that there was a steady flow of envelopes being placed in a box behind the boss's desk. Ok, all over thank god....but wait!!

As we were leaving the district office we get a phone call from a taxi driver who informs us that he had earlier picked up a couple from outside the Lak Si district office and dropped them off at the Imm Office in Chang Wattana. Afterwards he noticed a bundle of paperwork had been left on the floor in the back, had gone through it and had found our paperwork!! He was ringing to say he had another job on so had dropped it off at the Thai Foreign Affairs Office for us to pick up. We thanked him, told him to ring us if ever he was in our area and we would give him a reward for his kindness. We went to the Foreign Affairs Office and after showing ID were given our papers....including the envelope with all the money inside!! There is no way he would have not seen it so a very honest taxi driver he was. We never heard from him again even though my wife rang him the next day to again thank him and re-offer a reward.

Incidently the big arguement was because the farang was going back to his home country and wanted to take his thai girlfriend and her kids (from previous husband) with him. The Thai girl had assured him that "cash in an envelope" would get the required paperwork to take the kids without their real fathers permission!! But the boss lady wouldnt do it.

I got married at the Lak Si District office a few years ago and no witnesses were required....

[...]

she informed us that we need to put some cash in an envelope for the two witnesses.

This doesn't really make any sense.

They told you don't need witness and then suggest you pay 400 THB for witnesses.

Most people donated around 40 B.

Regarding the nationality, it would be hard to believe Thai civil law would differentiate the credibility of witnesses on the bases of nationality. This random blog entry, suggests non Thai people acted as witness in Bang Rak:

http://live-less-ordinary.com/legal-marriage-in-bangkok-bangrak-khet/

Edited by Morakot

I got married at the Lak Si District office a few years ago and no witnesses were required....

[...]

she informed us that we need to put some cash in an envelope for the two witnesses.

They told you don't need witness and then suggest you pay 400 THB for witnesses.

Regarding the nationality, it would be hard to believe Thai civil law would differentiate the credibility of witnesses on the bases of nationality. This random blog entry, suggests non Thai people acted as witness in Bang Rak:

Yes, I should clarify. What I meant to write was that we didnt need to provide witnesses.

40 baht eh....looks like I was ripped off....no big deal though, less than a packet of smokes back home .

Nationality? My experience was that at that time we lived in Minburi so went to the Minburi Amphur to enquire about requirements. They were the ones that told us we need two witnesses who had known us both for at least 12 months. When I asked could I bring two farang friends I was told they must be Thai, they must bring their Thai ID cards and their blue books. When we left by taxi it was the driver who suggested Lak Si or Bang Rak because he explained there you dont need to provide your own witnesses. I just put it down to different offices different requirements, same as it is with different Immigration offices.

I might also point out this was 'a few years ago' and before the current government, during whose term there have been a lot of changes re 'money in envelopes' and as a previous poster pointed out it is now for charity whereas in my time it was a witness fee. Hope that clarifies.

[...]

Yes, I should clarify. What I meant to write was that we didnt need to provide witnesses.

40 baht eh....looks like I was ripped off....no big deal though, less than a packet of smokes back home .

Nationality? My experience was that at that time we lived in Minburi so went to the Minburi Amphur to enquire about requirements. They were the ones that told us we need two witnesses who had known us both for at least 12 months. When I asked could I bring two farang friends I was told they must be Thai, they must bring their Thai ID cards and their blue books. When we left by taxi it was the driver who suggested Lak Si or Bang Rak because he explained there you dont need to provide your own witnesses. I just put it down to different offices different requirements, same as it is with different Immigration offices.

I might also point out this was 'a few years ago' and before the current government, during whose term there have been a lot of changes re 'money in envelopes' and as a previous poster pointed out it is now for charity whereas in my time it was a witness fee. Hope that clarifies.

OK so I went to Bang Rak. My wife called her friend who got married recently and brought 2 expat employees from her company who happily witnessed the signing of the papers. We therefore brought one family member from my wife's side and a farang family friend visiting Thailand. He had to bring along his original passport, along with photocopies made of the Thai visa page, entry stamp and front passport page. For the Thai family member, his original ID card and a signed copy.

Maybe other amphoes require Thai witnesses but fortunately not Bang Rak.

Thanks for sharing your story.

[...]

OK so I went to Bang Rak. My wife called her friend who got married recently and brought 2 expat employees from her company who happily witnessed the signing of the papers. We therefore brought one family member from my wife's side and a farang family friend visiting Thailand. He had to bring along his original passport, along with photocopies made of the Thai visa page, entry stamp and front passport page. For the Thai family member, his original ID card and a signed copy.

Maybe other amphoes require Thai witnesses but fortunately not Bang Rak.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Hey thats great tomtomtom69, glad all went well for you and the little woman.

If I can make a suggestion from personal experience, try to get her to wear the wedding ring on any finger bar the wedding finger. Something about gold rings on Thai girls' wedding finger, they seem to instantly put on at least 10 kilos wink.png

congrats,

Thaifelix

If I can make a suggestion from personal experience, try to get her to wear the wedding ring on any finger bar the wedding finger. Something about gold rings on Thai girls' wedding finger, they seem to instantly put on at least 10 kilos wink.png

congrats,

Thaifelix

That's because as soon as their married they try to emulate their husbands.

It's when they start growing facial hairs you need to worry! wink.png

[...]

When we did ours at Bangrak a few years back, they dispensed with us having to bring our own witnesses (we didn't) in exchange for a small (40 baht or so) donation to a local temple (supposedly).

I've never heard any rule or issue about the nationality of witnesses, but I can only imagine that having Thai witnesses (if required, even others waiting to be married there, as seems common) would be a likely simpler, cleaner way to go.

FWIW, Laksi has the reputation of being a much more difficult place to deal with for mixed marriages vs. Bangrak. And you don't have to register a marriage in the area where you live. You can do it at any amphur/khet office.

The best advice, though, is to have the GF call ahead to the office you plan to visit, or go there in advance, and sort out just what their required rules and procedures are at the present time, since they tend to vary from office to office, and also change with the passage of time.

PS - I see the OP managed to work out his issue at Bangrak, using one farang and one Thai witness along with their respective passport and ID.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

[...]

When we did ours at Bangrak a few years back, they dispensed with us having to bring our own witnesses (we didn't) in exchange for a small (40 baht or so) donation to a local temple (supposedly).

I've never heard any rule or issue about the nationality of witnesses, but I can only imagine that having Thai witnesses (if required, even others waiting to be married there, as seems common) would be a likely simpler, cleaner way to go.

FWIW, Laksi has the reputation of being a much more difficult place to deal with for mixed marriages vs. Bangrak. And you don't have to register a marriage in the area where you live. You can do it at any amphur/khet office.

The best advice, though, is to have the GF call ahead to the office you plan to visit, or go there in advance, and sort out just what their required rules and procedures are at the present time, since they tend to vary from office to office, and also change with the passage of time.

PS - I see the OP managed to work out his issue at Bangrak, using one farang and one Thai witness along with their respective passport and ID.

I've never heard that Laksi was difficult :) we used it and had no problems.

We did try another Khet but they wanted us to bring our own translator and witnesses.

At Laksi they supplied both. We probably had to make a donation for the translator.

I think our marriage took about an hour because there was another couple in front of us.

The only thing that took time was me trying to remember everything I owned for the paperwork.

• 4 weeks later...

I got an agent to handle the whole thing for me from translation of affidavit to arranging the time n date for marriage registration, all for a fee of cos. I didnt have to queue for anything. The agent always kept in contact n made sure we have all documents ready. No problem at all for anything cos everything was handled with a small fee. Only had 1 witness which was the agent himself n that was accepted. With an agent n a small fee everything will be taken care.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure the situation now. My witnesses 2.5 years ago were both friends from home (American). They both needed their passport.

The names of the witnesses will be on your marriage certificate paperwork. I like having the names of people I know there rather than strangers I gave a few hundred baht to.

On 12/27/2016 at 9:44 AM, sims said:

Sorry, may i know what is the situation now for 2 Witness?

I know it must be thai citizen.

Is it need to be family member?

can anyone help me?

thank you

It depends on what khet office you're planning to visit?

At Bangrak, I'm sure it might be easier to have Thais as your witnesses, but it's certainly not required as farangs can be witnesses also. So can other couples waiting there to get married, if they're willing.

When we went there 2.5 years ago, the office staff were our witnesses in exchange for a small donation to their local temple. But I can't say whether or not they still allow that practice now.

BTW. Bangrak also has a copy shop next door, which is convenient if you have any last-minute, unexpected photocopying needs.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 2 weeks later...

we end up register our marriage at Lak si district,

because Bang Rak officer insisted i had additional verification letter (which embassy do not provide) from Embassy on which is my first name or last name (Chinese Sir name is at front of the name), 

even though the info already stated inside my single status letter

Do remind that Lak Si district only accept 7 marriage registration per day,

therefore its advise to call them and book 1st.