British man dies of heart attack while having coffee at his Patong hotel

webfact

My experience with first responders in Thailand is not a good review. Cops don't know dick about first aid or CRP. The ambulance/medic crew I dealt with for an overdose knew less than most 12 year olds in the US, and that is a fact.

OC, even when the ambulance arrives, I'm not positive those guys are cardiac trained, and then the traffic to the nearest hospital? Hour for ambulance to arrive, another what 45 minutes to get to the hospital?

Yes, a long way to hospital for people living in the south of the island.

Recently, when I suggested the proposed new emergency hospital in Chalong should have priority over the rights of a few vendors squatting on the site, I was called a "bigot"!

Coincidentally, we had occasion to test ambulance response times today (Sun).

A workman painting our walls fell to ground sustaining a nasty head injury. I was sitting inside, just a few feet away, and heard the horrible thud as he want down. Found him in a pool of blood convulsing.

My wife started screaming, and neighbors ran from everywhere to see what had happened. One of these ladies called 1669 while I was still trying to find the right no. on my phone. Most initially thought it was this old farang who has gone down!

A first response motorbike with nurse and rider arrived within about 10-12 minutes (estimated). They were in radio contact with an ambulance who arrived about 10-15 minutes later. We live in southern Chalong, near the hills, about 1 1/2 ks from the main road. Help arrived a lot quicker than I expected.

The workman had regained consciousness and was able to walk, with assistance, to the ambulance. I later heard he had relapsed at home and was sent back to hospital.

Incidentally, the motorbike response team were the same people who came out last year when a nearby farmer caught a large python attacking his ducks. Multi taskers.

A first response motorbike with nurse and rider arrived within about 10-12 minutes (estimated).

That's good. I never knew they had FR on motorbikes.

Here in the north of the island, the response is not that good, probably because there are no hospitals in the area, (please don't tell me that the Thalang government hospital is a real 'hospital' - experience suggests otherwise).

Years ago if a hotel guest needed an ambulance, I would call one up from Siriroj. In those days, with quiet traffic at night, the ambulance could get from the bypass to the airport in 20 minutes (I timed them on one occasion).

Nowadays, the last time I called 1669, no-one came...... :)

I hope as the north of the island is developed, someone builds a new hospital in this region

A first response motorbike with nurse and rider arrived within about 10-12 minutes (estimated).

That's good. I never knew they had FR on motorbikes.

Here in the north of the island, the response is not that good, probably because there are no hospitals in the area, (please don't tell me that the Thalang government hospital is a real 'hospital' - experience suggests otherwise).

Years ago if a hotel guest needed an ambulance, I would call one up from Siriroj. In those days, with quiet traffic at night, the ambulance could get from the bypass to the airport in 20 minutes (I timed them on one occasion).

Nowadays, the last time I called 1669, no-one came...... smile.png

I hope as the north of the island is developed, someone builds a new hospital in this region

I see these first responders on a motorbike all the time. We live near the Kata fire station and these medical guys are based there. They have motorbikes with double paniers and a couple of basic ambulances.