Man in Hospital After Suffering Injuries in Pattaya Jail

snoop1130

The foreigners are initiating the scam.They,or their agent approach Immigration and offer to pay extra to fix their "problem".These are our poorer farang,who haven't enough in the bank,but can survive here on the State pension.

You don't say.

I think some places can themselves be quite inventive when it comes to "under the table" things.

16 k retirement extension

200 baht Sadao border

5,000 baht ED extensions

200 baht tip on top of the usual 1,000 with no receipt at VOA counter in Suvarnabhumi in the past.

Etc.

We apologize to have initiated these things.

Edited by lkv

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy done something silly and ended up in jail.

Jails are dangerous places.

Don't put yourself in a position where you will end up in jail... Simple!!

No its not simple! Many people end up in jail here when they have done absolutely nothing!!

Yes, but this is clearly a different case than some elderly people playing bridge.

And the reason for this particular man's incarceration seems extremely petty. That is the risk everyone without connections runs, Thai or foreigner, here. You might have a car accident tomorrow and be locked up for a night with the colloquial murderers and rapists while waiting to be processed.

Yep, that's why apparently Lucifer Disco got closed down (the back part) because the bouncers were beating up foreigners but Insomnia/I-Bar bouncers can beat up foreigners all they want. Insomnia are well connected but Lucifer wasn't. Well, that's what a Thai girl told me when I asked what happened to Lucifer.

Irrespective of right and wrong, Thai authorities make up rules to suit themselves or their pocket. This week the husband of a Thai lady who owns a bar in Bang Saray was arrested & 'fined' 50K because he made himself a coffee. A lovely restaurant here closed because it did not generate sufficient income to support the three Thai wages demanded by Thai authorities. It is staggering to see this lack of intelligence as businesses migrate to Vietnam or other more hospitable places taking their jobs and capital with them; depriving local suppliers of their business just so crooked big-wigs get to augment their bank balance. It is nothing to do with law enforcement merely greed.

Will the last farang businessman please switch off Thailand's lights as they leave.

Any farang who sets up a business in Thailand surely has to be bloody stupid imo....

As for 'vilifying a fellow foreigner', each overstayer is the victim of previous overstayers who have made it a hard road for those who follow.. The authorities want to stop it as a consequence of the practice being so widespread, hence the new laws from March 20.

Yeah, sure, over-stayers don't harm anybody--but gee, I wonder why the overstay penalties are becoming more strict and all current immigration laws are being more strictly enforced?

It's speculation to say an increase in overstayers caused the rule changes. We aren't privy to the statistics for overstay, so you shouldn't state any increase as fact. You also fail to mention the other extremely likely reason - the new authoritarian military government. It's possible overstayers still form the same small % of foreigners as they always have, for years, but it's only being addressed now by leaders that are known to be anti-foreigner - foreign investment is down and the prime minister has even joked in press conferences about closing the borders. They've also blamed western influences for some of the country's problems in television interviews.

Ever so often ...opportunity knocks...and the police get to express their true feelings for farangs...

...Education Empowers Ingenuity...interesting title. Ingenuous Ingenuity sure describes your brilliant post.

And you have a degree in Manipulative Rationalization, Creative Imagiantive & Assumptive Speculative Literature in the Self-Serving Logic program?

Why Yes! How did you know this? All except the "Creative Imagiantive"...that particular course was not offered...

This is tragic, this poor guys only offence is not leaving the country, he didn't harm anybody. Whatt happened to this guy must be dream come true for people who vilify fellow foreigners who over stay. Visa sub forum here is full of posters calling for harsh punishment for foreigners who have over stayd, a very minor, victimless offence.

I totally commend you for your like minded views given that according to heartless individual ex-pats on tv overstaying is a terrible crime deserving severe penalties. I detest these morons and keep a wide-berth being prone to lash out myself at their sick over the top attitudes towards their fellow countrymens hardships. Would love to throw out all these cretins from this country to keep harmony amongst us people who care for others.

That's life' we all have our crosses to bare 'some more than others' unfortunately.

And many still deny that LOS is NOT so friendly to us..... (except our money if we still have available if not...?? )

I think to many good stories about LOS was spread to the rest the world where freedom quickly disappear ....

Unfortunately those where old good times in LOS which never come back like in the rest of the world.

And LOS is following those world changes in every aspect.

We all still having a dream of freedom but this is just a history.

Money and position has priority (. )

I was counting on this part of Asia region that will be hard to change the culture but unfortunately I was wrong.

coffee1.gif

He was accused of possessing an expired visa in his passport.

Oh #$%^ I have several expired visas in my passport.

I have one that hasn't expired, but I guess this guy didn't have.

Yes, seems pretty bad injury from a fall, but on the the other hand, why would he be "mishandled" if the only crime was an expired visa?

Let's hope he recovers and can explain what happened.

Don't be optimistic !

RTP just wants he not recover and be able to explain " How he collapsed "

on a police man!!

This is tragic, this poor guys only offence is not leaving the country, he didn't harm anybody. Whatt happened to this guy must be dream come true for people who vilify fellow foreigners who over stay. Visa sub forum here is full of posters calling for harsh punishment for foreigners who have over stayd, a very minor, victimless offence.

Looks like a warning, how RTP will handle overstay after 20th March ;

Did you expect something else

Edited by Rimmer
slur

Irrespective of right and wrong, Thai authorities make up rules to suit themselves or their pocket. This week the husband of a Thai lady who owns a bar in Bang Saray was arrested & 'fined' 50K because he made himself a coffee. A lovely restaurant here closed because it did not generate sufficient income to support the three Thai wages demanded by Thai authorities. It is staggering to see this lack of intelligence as businesses migrate to Vietnam or other more hospitable places taking their jobs and capital with them; depriving local suppliers of their business just so crooked big-wigs get to augment their bank balance. It is nothing to do with law enforcement merely greed.

Will the last farang businessman please switch off Thailand's lights as they leave.

Farangs are drawn to Thailand like moths to a flame.The last nail will never be found.

Overstaying is NOT a victimless offence. This guy is a victim of others overstaying. Others will be victims of his overstaying.

Authorities are sick to death of those who have no regard or respect for Thai laws, so throw offenders in the pen. You are in Thailand, so respect their laws.

I have no idea how he sustained the injuries, but others will no doubt be sure the BiB bashed him. Time may tell on that point.

It's not difficult to do the right thing, so don't bleat about victimless crime, minor breach, breach of no consequence, etc.

If your visa requires border runs, do them. They're part of the price you pay to stay in Thailand.

I see, time and again, posts looking to short circuit the visa requirements. Just comply.

Do you have any more valuable insights into how the authorities in Thailand think. If so please share!

You can expect the next story to be that the RTP are suing this man for defaming the RTP and making them look poorly.

Frog hasn't said anything and if he is smart that's the way it will stay.An old Union secretary told me as the media were all over us on a picket line,they are not your friends and if you say something they will distort it to suit the agenda.Say nothing at all.

RIP Dave Smith.

Edited by louse1953

Overstaying is NOT a victimless offence. This guy is a victim of others overstaying. Others will be victims of his overstaying.

Authorities are sick to death of those who have no regard or respect for Thai laws, so throw offenders in the pen. You are in Thailand, so respect their laws.

I have no idea how he sustained the injuries, but others will no doubt be sure the BiB bashed him. Time may tell on that point.

It's not difficult to do the right thing, so don't bleat about victimless crime, minor breach, breach of no consequence, etc.

If your visa requires border runs, do them. They're part of the price you pay to stay in Thailand.

I see, time and again, posts looking to short circuit the visa requirements. Just comply.

I just sorted out my overstay and the authorities were extremely apologetic and polite, no sign of them being sick to death of anything, unless by authorities you refer to certain pundits that post on thai visa?

Personally, I obey every jot and tittle of Thai law, and also Thai customs as I learn them. Out of humility, and out of gratitude, and out of respect. But there is no Thai law allowing beating of a helpless, handcuffed prisoner for failing to truckle. And while the reactions of police who encounter backtalk may be understandable, the piling on by arrogant louts like yourself is not. Does it make you feel the big man, to cheer when a man is kicked when he is down? I hope that one day you experience personally the violence that you now countenance so glibly.

Man,you are way.way off track.Just because the TVF detectives say this and that doesn't make it true.Wishing violence on anybody is not cool.You know nothing,we all know nothing,maybe the frog just had a fit.BIB tell the truth sometimes.

As for 'vilifying a fellow foreigner', each overstayer is the victim of previous overstayers who have made it a hard road for those who follow.. The authorities want to stop it as a consequence of the practice being so widespread, hence the new laws from March 20.

Yeah, sure, over-stayers don't harm anybody--but gee, I wonder why the overstay penalties are becoming more strict and all current immigration laws are being more strictly enforced?

It's speculation to say an increase in overstayers caused the rule changes. We aren't privy to the statistics for overstay, so you shouldn't state any increase as fact. You also fail to mention the other extremely likely reason - the new authoritarian military government. It's possible overstayers still form the same small % of foreigners as they always have, for years, but it's only being addressed now by leaders that are known to be anti-foreigner - foreign investment is down and the prime minister has even joked in press conferences about closing the borders. They've also blamed western influences for some of the country's problems in television interviews.

Overstayers have been around for 40 years or more, so its not them, its just the new government and immigration becoming more xenophobic by the day. The Thai government is getting heavily criticized all over the world, so they are simply clamping down on all vulnerable foreigners in childish retaliation. Even the foreign Press are unable to get visas these days. This government is feeling pressurized by the UN, European Union, Amnesty International, etc, etc and they hate it. So they always make a big deal out of any foreigner committing even the most simplest of "crimes". Its ridiculous to call overstaying a "crime", and how can one respect the Thai (elastic) law when even the police, government, judges, hi-sos etc don't respect it. Laws against defamation, public assembly, indeed, criticizing the government in any way, have proliferated under this military government.

Edited by Hawk

I just sorted out my overstay and the authorities were extremely apologetic and polite, no sign of them being sick to death of anything, unless by authorities you refer to certain pundits that post on thai visa?

Yeah I totally agree, you're not the first person that says that. It's just all this rubbish that has been circulating over these months on TV. Once you pay and you have sorted out your "mistake", they are nice again.

This is Thai thinking guys, not...you will be punished for the rest of your lives. Your mistake was long forgotten once you settled it. We are not in the US here.

If he was beaten in jail, it could have come from the police or the inmates, but I doubt it was a reaction to his overstay--more likely his attitude.

However, to say, " . . . this poor guys only offence (sic) is not leaving the country, he didn't harm anybody . . . "

I can't believe that so many of you actually think it is no big deal to violate the laws of a country in which you stay. Yeah, sure, over-stayers don't harm anybody--but gee, I wonder why the overstay penalties are becoming more strict and all current immigration laws are being more strictly enforced?

I too believe in obeying the laws of the country you're in, especially banana republics. However, as the recent Bridge Playing stupidity has proven, you don't necessarily need to be doing anything illegal to end up on the wrong side of a jail cell here in the Land of Smiles. And once placed in jail, as is evident in this case, your health and welfare are of little concern to the authorities, especially in banana republics where jail conditions seem to be purposefully dehumanizing. I'm sure that The Land of Smiles doesn't give a hoot about the UN Human Rights Commissions rules regarding treatment of prisoners. However, the same statement applies in my home country (supposively developed), just to a lesser degree. It's not good to be in a prison anywhere. Too easy to be assaulted, beat, raped, or killed over what amounts to a misdemeanor or petty offense.

"Ahhh, the Frog was probably lipping off to the BIB or inmates. He deserved what he got. Overstays are crimes against humanity don't you know?"

It's amazing how high and mighty, let alone full of self-righteousness some TV members can be. You gotta realize, all it takes is you or someone your with to break some obscure law you didn't know even existed and suddenly you find yourself in the French guy's shoes. Until he's interviewed, no one will know what happened that led to a brutal assault.

I can't believe that so many of you whinging Nancy Boys still actually stay here,if you do stay here,or comment from os.Why don't you all F...OFF and leave me in peace.

I can't believe that so many of you whinging Nancy Boys still actually stay here,if you do stay here,or comment from os.Why don't you all F...OFF and leave me in peace.

Sorry, but it's not our fault that you've just seen the real face of Thailand and you're not liking it.

One could say if he'd stuck to his visa conditions he wouldn't have been here and the situation would have be avoided. However nobody deserves to have the crap kicked out of them for what is, in the grand scheme of things, a minor offence...

Gobbells would be proud, repeat bs enough times and it becomes the perceived truth.TVF is rife with the Gobells Syndrome.

Who said in the report that he had the crap kicked out of him.You farangs fall for it every time.I wish fish were this easy to catch.Reading comprehension is sadly lacking on this forum.

Many people have a habit of letting their mouth override their mind. I had a friend that was stopped by the police early in the morning, he action was yes sir, no sir: then his drunk Thai wife lot her mouth go and the both wound up in jail. He was setting outside, but his wife got violent. she was charged, he was released. To get his wife out cost a few hundred thousand baht.

The moral of the story is engage brain before the mouth.

For that type of money i'd leave my missus in there.I

Many people have a habit of letting their mouth override their mind. I had a friend that was stopped by the police early in the morning, he action was yes sir, no sir: then his drunk Thai wife lot her mouth go and the both wound up in jail. He was setting outside, but his wife got violent. she was charged, he was released. To get his wife out cost a few hundred thousand baht.

The moral of the story is engage brain before the mouth.

For that price tag my missus would still be there.Exaggerating doesn't make your yarn any better.It shows you in a poor light.

For that price tag my missus would still be there.Exaggerating doesn't make your yarn any better.It shows you in a poor light.

Are you "exaggerating" when you say you'd leave your missus in there?

Either way it's not a good look.

LoS- where being a tourist is classed as low life scum ( but we want all your money ) and can lead to criminal charges, deportation and a passport with a record in it of "one" countries idea of what they think constitutes a federal crime. Also, as in this case a chance for the local thugs to beat a guy up, proabably when he was handcuffed. (I know we don't know all the facts - so what?)

From the moment you arrive you are under scrutiny, look in the camera ?, but somehow, when it comes to major criminals (not a tourist a real crook/mafia boss on the run) they seem to walk in and stay for years....!!! until they slip up or fail to pay off someone.

I don't wear rose tinted specs. The bottom line is, they do not want you here. Especially the local male of the species (unless he is gay for money) They want all your money by hook or by crook (scams) and when it runs out beat it back to where you came from.

Don't believe me ?? Spend the next 3 months reading all the Visa section questions on this web site about non law breakers getting screwed around for a visa to stay here...

I despice the word fallang. it is not a term of endearment ! It is an insult. Likening us to a white centred fruit. Would they like it if we called them chocolate, coconuts, monkey feet, I could type worse.....?

Whitemouse is correct. And like me, every Westerner should wise up, this country is under martial law, they have the guns and the power. Keep your head down and stay well clear ..... that way your passport stays clean and your wallet stays fuller.

IF you do wear the rose glasses and lead the happy clappy "Life here is so wonderful" and you nasty scum people without the correct visa should all die attitude, don't bother flaming my thoughts on the subject - I won't answer.

Bugger me,where do you start.A person that judges what's going on by reading and BELIEVING what he reads on TVF.If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen you know what you can do.I'll take my glasses off when i go to bed.If Thailand doesn't want me here,why do they repeatedly give me an extension for a paltry sum.

The foreigners are initiating the scam.They,or their agent approach Immigration and offer to pay extra to fix their "problem".These are our poorer farang,who haven't enough in the bank,but can survive here on the State pension.

You don't say.

I think some places can themselves be quite inventive when it comes to "under the table" things.

16 k retirement extension

200 baht Sadao border

5,000 baht ED extensions

200 baht tip on top of the usual 1,000 with no receipt at VOA counter in Suvarnabhumi in the past.

Etc.

We apologize to have initiated these things.

It is just taking advantage of lowly paid workers.They all have families.Wave the right sort of money under my nose and i would waver as well.It's the western way,exploit the poor.By the way,you were ripped if you paid 16k.it's 12k.Why on earth would you pay 1000 baht,plus tip for a VOA.