Are Thai ceiling rails strong enough for hanging heavy objects?

Hal65

I am considering buying a 45 kg heavy bag (for boxing practice). Are the typical Thai ceiling rails strong enough to hang objects on? Here's a pic of my ceiling, those ceiling tiles pop out BTW:

IMG_20160305_025433.jpg

They look like standard aluminium strips held up by a series of coat hanger thickness wires. Pop up one of the tiles and look for yourself.

You might have a ceiling on the floor if you try to hang anything off them.

Don't just take into account the weight of the bag but when you are punching the bag it will cause the bag to swing and jolt putting considerably more force on the ceiling rails. I think it would be only a matter of time before it gave way and came crashing down. See if the floor above the false ceiling is solid as if you have access to a hammer drill you could drill and fix a rawl bolt I to the ceiling

I recently set up a ceiling like this in my mother in-law's house and if they are the typical pity and cheap ceilings they sell everywhere in Thailand then it is no, 45 kg will be at leased 35 kg to heavy. The wires are just one thing that won't handle it, but the supersoft aluminium ceiling-plate-holders are so weak that it will take down the whole ceiling. You can probably bend the aluminium with just 3 fingers. When you start farting on that bag, the total weight will be something like 65-80kg. No way. Very few ceilings in Thailand can handle such weight, even ceilings in fairly modern-looking homes, as the prettiness often has its hidden secrets, such as weak wood boards or weak slim cement layer to save building costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently set up a ceiling like this in my mother in-law's house and if they are the typical pity and cheap ceilings they sell everywhere in Thailand then it is no, 45 kg will be at leased 35 kg to heavy. The wires are just one thing that won't handle it, but the supersoft aluminium ceiling-plate-holders are so weak that it will take down the whole ceiling. You can probably bend the aluminium with just 3 fingers. When you start farting on that bag, the total weight will be something like 65-80kg. No way. Very few ceilings in Thailand can handle such weight, even ceilings in fairly modern-looking homes, as the prettiness often has its hidden secrets, such as weak wood boards or weak slim cement layer to save building costs.

Typical Thai cheap ceilings.....baaaaaaa.....you wouldn't know would you? Suspended ceilings are similar almost everywhere, not cheap because there made to sustain a certain weight which are ceiling tiles often seen in offices down under, no mate there not designed to be loaded up anywhere in the world.

A tip would be to build one yourself. Should be fairly easy. You can probably find a couple of heavy and old logs around in your own neighborhood you can get for free. You'll need a saw , a drill and some bolts. That's it. You save 12,000 thb and get a more steady and robust bag stand than those just about any you can buy.

I would imagine the roof structure is made from steel?

Why not hang the bag from there?

More than likely to be cement. Unless on the top story of a private house where the beams would be exposed.

Very unlikely in a condo do to Thai construction methods

A tip would be to build one yourself. Should be fairly easy. You can probably find a couple of heavy and old logs around in your own neighborhood you can get for free. You'll need a saw , a drill and some bolts. That's it. You save 12,000 thb and get a more steady and robust bag stand than those just about any you can buy.

Thanks, I think I'll do this. No logs around here on 2nd rd that I know of, so I'll probably just gets some wood planks from Home Pro and bolt them together.

What would make for a good base/counterweight?

Big rock? :) No idea mate. I was thinking of some heavy logs, especially as base. If you don't find a suitable rock then you can always buy a couple of cheap cement bags, place them on the top of the basewood and soak the bags in water so the cement stiffen and become a lot heavier. Not sure if they will be heavy enough but I've lifted some of them and they are quite heavy (45-55kg if I'm not exaggerating). I think they'll do the job. The wood they sell in Home Pro and such places aren't the strongest and might break. Spike some planks together to double or tripple the thickness and you should be good to go. Alternatively you could buy some strong teak, but that comes with a nasty price and is much harder to work with.

Thanks, I think I'll do this. No logs around here on 2nd rd that I know of, so I'll probably just gets some wood planks from Home Pro and bolt them together.

What would make for a good base/counterweight?

Visit one of the many welding shops around town. You can probably have a frame built for less than 2,000 THB. If you are worried about getting it home then have them build it so it can be bolted together. Here is an example using rounded tubing but could easily be adapted to standard Thai steel square tubing, just provide them with the dimensions:

post-10942-0-18098100-1457230687_thumb.p