SETV in Bali

I applied yesterday for a SETV for me my husband and two kids. We needed lots of documents for every application

1. application form( only available once we arrived)
  2. copy of passport
  3. photograph
  4. birth certs for boys
  5. marriage cert ( copy for both of us)
  6. confirmation of villa/hotel booking( copies for 4 of us)
  7. Flight itinery AND proof of payment( copies for 4 of us) entering and leaving Thailand
  8. Bank statements( copies x 4)
  9. Payment of 560,000 indonesian rupiah each

I will find out on Tuesdy when I collect them if we had everything we needed!!!! They might ask for inside leg measurementsbiggrin.png BTW it is a nightmare to find, tucked away in a back street behind all the larger consular offices.

Just thought I would post to let people know in advance what is required in applying in Balithumbsup.gif

• Like 1

It's been known for awhile now about their asinine requirements. May i ask why you chose Bali versus a more tourist friendly consulate such as Vientiane, Laos?

Edited by Rayk

Hi Rayk,

We are in Bali for two months. Previously got a SETV in Kuala Lumpur for our first visit to Koh Samui last November. It was very straightforward for us but we didn't want to spend 3-4 days in KL again before travelling back to KS, although we did love it.

As we are in Bali we thought we would try and get them here. Time will tell if we are succesfulbiggrin.png

Hi Rayk,

We are in Bali for two months. Previously got a SETV in Kuala Lumpur for our first visit to Koh Samui last November. It was very straightforward for us but we didn't want to spend 3-4 days in KL again before travelling back to KS, although we did love it.

As we are in Bali we thought we would try and get them here. Time will tell if we are succesfulbiggrin.png

To be safe ensure you have those inside leg measurements for your whole family. Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out. Keep us posted and thanks for the update.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention we also needed a letter from my husbands accountant to say we had a business at home and we would be returning to our home country, Northern Ireland.

We knew when we started this year long journey we would need documents to apply for visas, Scanned everything we thought we might need and keep them on Dropbox so we can access them anywhere.

TBH didn't think we would need the boys birth certs or our marriage cert, just glad we had the forthought to scan these also

I applied yesterday for a SETV for me my husband and two kids. We needed lots of documents for every application

• application form( only available once we arrived)
  • copy of passport
  • photograph
  • birth certs for boys
  • marriage cert ( copy for both of us)
  • confirmation of villa/hotel booking( copies for 4 of us)
  • Flight itinery AND proof of payment( copies for 4 of us) entering and leaving Thailand
  • Bank statements( copies x 4)
  • Payment of 560,000 indonesian rupiah each
I will find out on Tuesdy when I collect them if we had everything we needed!!!! They might ask for inside leg measurementsbiggrin.png BTW it is a nightmare to find, tucked away in a back street behind all the larger consular offices.

Just thought I would post to let people know in advance what is required in applying in Balithumbsup.gif

Hi!!

I think you need to wait to collect your passports until Friday or try to do it on Monday. I was planning to go there on Tuesday but they just answered me for email that I sent to them two months ago!! They are closed from 8 to 10 of March, but I'm already traveling to Bali because I wanted to apply on Tuesday !!$@%%#.

post-248141-14571673740129_thumb.jpg

Thanks pstbkk. I will get it on Friday..You would think on a Friday they would know they are closed on the following Tuesdayfacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Bali and their ceremonies, you gotta love it

Plum

Nyepi is the worst experience for travelers to Bali.

Hard to believe it is possible, or taken so serious even inside big hotels.

Yes, this is Thailand, I mean Thai Immigration, give them 100 documents and they will ask for 101.

Actually I have only good experiences about Thai immigration or embassies. I was never asked to bring any documents for a tourist visa, never! Just Bali. If I know that they are obsessed about documents, I wouldn't book flight there.

Thanks pstbkk. I will get it on Friday..You would think on a Friday they would know they are closed on the following Tuesdayfacepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Plum

Actually I wanted to visit consulate in Denpasar on Tuesday morning (I'm gonna arrive on Monday evening) and then go to Gili Islands. Any advices for beginners there how to survive they Nyepi days? I'm not really into celebrations, festivals, etc.

Plum

Clearly you have little or no respect for the culture of countries other than your own.

Those who do not wish for their travels to be disrupted by local custom /culture should, in my opinion, stay at home.

I would if I know ;)

As for surviving Nypie, I'm quite looking forward to it. I think more countries could benefit from a day of silence. I'm not into meditation or prayer but I am looking forward to the silence and quiet roads.

The night before is when the celebrations happen, lots of gamalan, eating and setting fire to OguOgu??? I think that is t. These are large figures made by each village.

We will attend the local village Ungasan and join in. Nypie itself is another story..all ports and airports closed, everywhere closed with the exception of hospitals. Hotels cater for guests to some degree.

No lights, no electricity, no tv, no driving, no eating,no cooking or leaving the house and No activity that causes pleasure!!!! What is a girl to do??? Every village also has security to ensure people are recognising Nypie and adhering to the rules.

As I say I for one am looking forward to it....my kids maybe not so much but as they say, " When in Rome"

Plum

• Like 1

Nyepi Day in Bali is a New Year’s celebration unlike anywhere else on the planet. Also known as Bali’s celebration of the Saka New Year and the Bali Day of Silence, it is ultimately the quietest day of the year, when all of its inhabitants abide by a set of local rules that brings all routine activities to a complete halt. The roads all over Bali are void of any traffic and nobody steps outside of his or her home premises.

The unique day of silence marks the turn of the Saka calendar of western Indian origin, one among the many calendars assimilated by Indonesia’s diverse cultures, and among two jointly used in Bali. The Saka is 78 years behind the Gregorian calendar, and follows a lunar sequence. Nyepi follows after a new moon.

Village meeting halls known as ‘banjar’ and streets feature papier-mâché effigies called ogoh-ogoh, built throughout the weeks leading up to the Saka New Year. Youth groups design and build their mythical figures with intricately shaped and tied bamboo framework before many layers of artwork. These artistic creations are offshoots of the celebration since its dawning in the early 80s, which stayed on to become an inseparable element in the island-wide celebration that is Nyepi Eve.

This was copied from Bali-Indonesia

It depends. If consulate requires bank statement with stamp for example, that you can take only in your bank in home country. If you are traveling already, you have no chance to get one. The problem is on their side, they don't accept any other confirmation for example. Either online screenshot, gold credit card, etc.

As well 'proof of payment for airline ticket' what if I buy ticket a day before I visit consulate and pay with credit card? Proof of payment will be sent with monthly credit card statement.

Etc, etc.

We brought copies of bank statement we printed from online account and a screenshot of current balance. As for the proof of payment it should on the travel itinery as paid for the flights

I do believe that we should take into account that the OP requested four visas in Bali in one go for the whole family. As far as I am aware at this stage in time, Bali's Consulate does require some but not all of the documents listed by the OP in case of a solo traveler.

A paid exit ticket with receipt and a bank account statement showing 700 USD are the requirements if I am not mistaken, not entirely sure about accomodation but if required a reservation or rental proof will be sufficient.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

As for surviving Nypie, I'm quite looking forward to it. I think more countries could benefit from a day of silence. I'm not into meditation or prayer but I am looking forward to the silence and quiet roads.

The night before is when the celebrations happen, lots of gamalan, eating and setting fire to OguOgu??? I think that is t. These are large figures made by each village.

We will attend the local village Ungasan and join in. Nypie itself is another story..all ports and airports closed, everywhere closed with the exception of hospitals. Hotels cater for guests to some degree.

No lights, no electricity, no tv, no driving, no eating,no cooking or leaving the house and No activity that causes pleasure!!!! What is a girl to do??? Every village also has security to ensure people are recognising Nypie and adhering to the rules.

As I say I for one am looking forward to it....my kids maybe not so much but as they say, " When in Rome"

Plum

I lived in Bali many years ago. Nyepi day may seem very restrictive to the expectations of tourists but I came to consider it as a extended electrical power failure on a very long night.In hotel rooms or villas it is normal to show no lights( pull curtains) and while away the time eating, watching tv or dvds or.....!

I only once applied for a visa to Thailand. As it happened the visa was free for promotional purposes. After finding the very illusive Thai Consulate office and submitting my application I was told to return days later which happened to be the same day as my departure date. I did so. After a long time and repeatedly knocking on a locked door I was finally relieved to see a van arrive driven by the same person who had taken my application. However he looked a little stressed and it quickly becam apparent that he had neglected to process the application.To his credit he quickly contacted ( the actual Consular Officer ? ) somebody who came shortly after. I was left waiting outside listening to some loud exchanges inside. After abour 45 minutes I recieved my passport with a hand written stamped visa.lol

Much relieved I said bye bye to people who were processing packages from the van. I had the impression tht the visa business was secondary to a freight forwarding operation ! lol

ten yers onn I hope things area lot more Consular ! smile.png

• Like 1

I do believe that we should take into account that the OP requested four visas in Bali in one go for the whole family. As far as I am aware at this stage in time, Bali's Consulate does require some but not all of the documents listed by the OP in case of a solo traveler.

A paid exit ticket with receipt and a bank account statement showing 700 USD are the requirements if I am not mistaken, not entirely sure about accomodation but if required a reservation or rental proof will be sufficient.

I agree IKV, we did bring extra documentation that was listed on KL consualr website. Bali do not have a website so we broght along copies of everything we thought they could ask for and the guy at the consulate took them all. He had them all laid out and my husbaand had to put them with each applicaation. I understand applying as a family of four is different to a solo application but wanted to put on the forumm y experience of obtaining a Thai tourist visa in Bali...hopefully.

• Like 2

I agree IKV, we did bring extra documentation that was listed on KL consualr website. Bali do not have a website so we broght along copies of everything we thought they could ask for and the guy at the consulate took them all. He had them all laid out and my husbaand had to put them with each applicaation. I understand applying as a family of four is different to a solo application but wanted to put on the forumm y experience of obtaining a Thai tourist visa in Bali...hopefully.

Yes i know, I do remember your other post in the KL thread. KL is very restrictive, but you matched all the requirements on the website, which some may describe as outrageous for a single entry tourist visa. Bali is a consulate to begin with, and Consulates have much lighter approach than Embassies.

I would guess the only reason he took the birth certificates or the marriage is to have a backup or to justify giving 4 visas to an entire family (that you and your husband are actually married and travelling around with kids and those are your kids). Kind of thing.

But that particular part would not be a requirement for a solo traveler, I'm pretty sure about that.

Proof of employment back home is also not required for a SETV in Bali according to latest reports.

I appreciate you sharing it, I just did not want some readers to believe that Bali has the same strict requirements as Kuala Lumpur because it's not the case.

But glad to hear you're enjoying yourself in Bali, it's a nice place so have a good weekend :)

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Update.

Collected all our SETV's this afternoon. So all seemed to be in order. The guy at the consulate was very helpful. I was worried I would not get them today as the Consulate is closed for three days for Nypie, but I was able to phone yesterday and he told me to come over today.

Gates all closed up but I rang the bell and he handed them over.

All in all a good experience so we are all set to return to LOS in April.

Plum