Tyre recommendation

I'm looking for a recommendation for replacing the tyres of an Isuzu Dmax. This is my father-in-law's pick up which is still on 1st set of tyres, after 10yrs and 120k km. Don't need high performance tyres, just standard, good quality, long lasting ones. Seen that Transam bought some Thunderers, heard Yokohama is quite good, some recommend Bridgestone. Looking through the list of B-quick tyres they sell, the selection is massive. Any advice appreciated.

Yokohama Geolanders are a good choice......Made in Thailand so the price does not have the import taxes added on.....I have them on a SUV and they've held the road and worn well.....Bridgestones do not seem to do well in wet weather....

Edited by pgrahmm

• 3 weeks later...

10 years !! Looks like I was 6 years premature changing mine, dam_n

had a service done on my veos sportivo,they told me the tyre's will need changing soon.ummm.

the car is 4yr.old in august and has 3,800klms.on the clock,the thread on all of them,is very good,as one of the tyre's has only done 2,500,had to change one last yr.small screw in the wheel just at the top of the wall. YES THAT IS 3,800.

so where they right to say the tyre's deteriate after a certain time.?

or have they got the farang virus.

I would have a good look at walls for any perishing or splitting. I'm sure the heat here must speed up usual degradation but if kept out of the sun most of the time, maybe not so bad.

Give it another couple years at least though :)

3800 km ? I'm up to 128,000km !!

Not doubting what anybody is saying about getting 120k plus kilometres out of their tyres. But the best I've got is 70k on Bridgestones on my Vigo. Back in Farangland on a multitude of vehicles and tyre brands the best I got was about the same, 70k. To be fair, V8's tended to last a little less than that - no doubt due to my driving style. wink.png

So.....what conditions are you guys driving in to get that sort of life from your tyres? I mean, are you driving 20% on dirt roads, or is bitumen more prevalent in the area you live or something like that?

EDIT: And i mean true distance after allowing for speedometer error. Typically speedos read over by 7-10%.

Edited by Gsxrnz

The Cheap pickup tyres are hard compound and relatively deep tread so they should last if not hammered. The standard Bridgestones we had on Toyota's / Mitsubishi's / Isuzu's and Ford's did around 100,000 km on mostly highway use. The replacement Maxxis and Michelin's are similar. The work pickups on mostly gravel do less, because of damage.

My car came with Good Year OEM tires. They wore quickly and at about 35,000 kilometers one of them got a big bubble on the side. I replaced them with Maxxis. They are wearing good but I have a lot of road noise. My old truck came with OEM Bridgestones. I changed them at 90,000 kilometers because they got hard and were dangerous on wet roads. They still looked good. I put on a set of Dunlaps. They were quiet and were wearing pretty good but one of them failed. The sidewall separated. The set of Dunlaps were a size bigger. The made the odometer and the speedometer exactly accurate according to my GPS.. I replaced two of them with Bridgestones. I put the Bridgestones on the front and left the bigger Dunlaps on the back. My new truck has OEM Bridgestones. They run quiet and I am satisfied so far. My only complaint with the Bridgestones is that they squeal a lot when making U turns on hot surface divided highways. I would guess the rubber compound is harder than other tires.

Edited by Gary A

I only get 60-70k out of mine, but I don't wait until they're bald.

I would not be too concerned about age, as long as they look good and have good tread.

What about pressure....

So what are you and I doing to get 70k? I change mine when they get to the wear marks, so arguably there could be another 10k in them if they were pushed on until they bacame slicks.

I'm quite fussy on tyre pressure because I know what under/over can do for wear as well as handling and safety, so I'm never more than a psi or two under recommended when I check the pressure - always with my own quality gauge.

Even if you deduct 10% for speedo error, the guys claiming 120k are at 108k in reality. Deduct another 10k if they push the envelope and they're running them to bald and they're still getting circa 100k true.

Rotation can extend overal tyre life, so let's say another 10k is achieved if they fastidiously rotate them. So there's still a differential of 20-30k between my 70k (at best) and their 90-100k. That represents a 28-42% variation on my 70k.

So what am I doing wrong? I rotate once in their lifetime and I'm fussy on pressure, balancing, and wheel alignment. Wife does most of the driving and she's conservative. No heavy loads, lot's of long highway runs on good surfaces, and no shingle/gravel.

I've had Bridgestones and Michelins.

I don't get it.

Edited by Gsxrnz

I think tire wear has mostly to do with your driving habits. Jackrabbit starts and quick stops increase the wear. How often do you replace the brakes. My old truck had 150,000 kilometers on the original brakes and still had the original clutch.

I doubt that I'll get 90,000 on a set of tires on the new Isuzu because it has a lot of power and I like to use it. I keep 32 psi in the front tires and 30 psi in the rear. The dealer rotates the tires according to the manual and I keep an eye on the alignment. Any unusual tire wear on the front means it needs an alignment. If I have a heavy load to haul, I increase the rear tire pressure to maybe 38 psi.

Just a picture of how the tyre looks like after 10 yrs and 120k+ km. Never rotated to my knowledge.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1458743855.809636.jpg

Looks like mine did after same mileage but only 4 years.

Looks can be deceiving as I think you subconsciously adapt your driving as the tyres deteriorate ie allow for extended braking distances.

As soon as I put the new boots on the Ranger, the stopping power was instantly noticeable and cornering in the wet was amazing :)