Fifa’s Gianni Infantino believes video technology is inevitable

mrbojangles

Fifa’s Gianni Infantino believes video technology is inevitable

The new Fifa president, Gianni Infantino believes video technology in football is inevitable and would be happy for the English and Scottish Football Associations to trial it.

The 45-year-old is in Cardiff for the International Football Association Board AGM, where it is expected to give the go-ahead for live video trials.

The trials, over two years, will be designed to help referees make game-changing decisions relating to goals, penalties, red cards and mistaken identities.

Infantino would be open to allowing the home nations to be guinea pigs. “I will hope we see trials in as many places as possible in the world but also in England and Scotland,” he said. “I would like everyone to have an open mind about these things without prejudging what the results at the end will be. “The recommendation is that this moves forward. We have to discuss it tomorrow. Sooner or later it will be inevitable. Let’s start to do something sooner rather than later.”

Also on the agenda on Saturday are sin-bins and the possibility of allowing a fourth substitute in extra time in cup competitions.

Video technology could send football into a new era and Infantino knows the IFAB must get it right before anything is given the official green light. He said: “Technology is on the agenda, the experiments to be done are on the agenda and it’s important to protect the traditions.

“Football is such a successful sport because some wise people have protected the history but we cannot close our eyes to progress.

“We have to look forward. Look into it, test it, maybe it’s successful, maybe it’s not. Maybe we have to fine-tune it and maybe it takes a few more years to reach the right solution.

“Football has a particularity which is the flow of the game and we have to see what impact technology has."

“We are confident we can come out with something good at some stage. I am not afraid of anything. We have to acknowledge we are in 2016 and we have to be open.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/04/fifa-gianni-infantino-video-technology-inevitable

A trial of the use of video assistant referees for "game-changing decisions" in football will begin no later than the 2017-18 season.The news was confirmed following a meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in Cardiff.

Technology would only be applied to key incidents concerning goals, red cards, mistaken identities and penalties.

In addition to the video technology trials, IFAB has also decided to end the triple punishment rule.It means in instances where the referee feels defenders have made a legitimate attempt to make a tackle inside the penalty area, they will not be sent off if they commit a foul.This would not apply when the offence is holding, pushing or pulling, the defender does not attempt to play the ball or the offence would be worthy of a red card if it had been committed elsewhere in the penalty area.

• 1 year later...

Hurray. It's coming

World Cup: Video referees for Russia 2018, says Fifa president Gianni Infantino

Video referees will be used at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Fifa president Gianni Infantino has confirmed.

The video assistant referee (VAR) technology can only review incidents relating to goals, red cards, mistaken identities and penalties.

"We will use video refereeing because we've had nothing but positive feedback so far," Infantino said.

Video assistance was introduced for the first time in a Fifa competition at the Club World Cup in Japan in December.

It was used to correct two decisions as Spain beat France in a friendly last month, having previously been used in France's 3-1 friendly win in Italy last September.

The system has been tested in several domestic leagues, with Australia's A-League becoming the first top-tier competition to employ the technology earlier this month.

It could also be used in English football as soon as August, bringing forward the start of a planned trial by several months.

The Football Association had initially said the technology could be trialled in the FA Cup in January 2018, but it might now begin in the EFL Cup first round.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39726260

2 hours ago, champers said:

See if you still like it in two years. 

That's the whole point champers. We all need to see if we will like it or not and we can only do that by trying it. If it's a failure I'll hold my hands up but if it's a success I wonder if the naysayers will admit it !!!

^I just don't get comments like the one above by Champers. Have you ever watched how they use the video ref in rugby league or union? In the latter it can be complicated to see under a pile of bodies was it try or no try, it doesn't take long, the game had already stopped and the video ref isjjust there for the ref to turn to if he wants further views/different angles WITH THE AIM TO GET THE DECISION RIGHT. In football the ref blows up, gives the wrong decision, pandemonium, maybe fighting, sendings off or bookings, which all takes time - BUT if instead the ref when he's not 100% sure gets the video ref involved you have more chance of getting the right decision and in some instances it could be quicker than the pandemonium scenario.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^I just don't get comments like the one above by Champers. 

Also, as was stated in the report it was only used to correct 2 decisions in the Spain France match. Hardly going to add on 30 minutes. Some people are so against it they become blinkered. Just like goal line technology you'll probably find its used sparingly but when it is used its been beneficial to get the right decision 

Once the genie is out of the bottle it won't be going back in. It is irreversible. Rugby; Union in particular; is a dull sport which needs excitement manufactured to make it interesting. I predict it will cause more friction than benefit but we will see. I may find it more difficult to see with my blinkers. ?

Edited by champers

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Rugby; Union in particular; is a dull sport"...keep on digging that hole.

Yes; hiding the ball in scrums and using kicking the ball off the field of play as a "tactic". Add in punching, collapsing scrums, eye gouging and treading on and raking your studs over opponents. Many of these exciting moments of the sport are subject to video reffing. You may like it; I don't.

8 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sounds like your still in the 70s with your description of rugby union...

Rubbish, if you'll pardon me for saying so. Just 4 years ago, the Lions played in NZ and their captain (an Irish chap) was picked up by 2 NZ players and his head was speared into the ground. This was early in the 1st test and the guy never played again in the series. I understand this brutal tactic is now illegal (why not already?) but as the Lions head back out to NZ this summer I am sure something equally vicious has been dreamt up in the meantime.

I am writing this while watching City v Utd. It's not very exciting for a neutral. Has Yaya got a sweat on or is it raining? Zabaletta looks like your best player.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^How did they do? Read there was controversy over the sending off decision.

Didn't see the match last night but have just watched some highlights. All the pundits agreed that even though they thought it was harsh giving a red, the right decision was made. One thing they didn't like was unlike cricket and rugby where they show what is being reviewed, nobody knew what was happening whilst the VAR was making the decision. Nobody even mentioned the time taken to get to the decision, so I'm assuming it didn't take long or they would have all been complaining about it. Early days and no doubt improvements will still come but positive signs.

16 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Apparently the England friendly against France tonight is using Video Tech

toooooooooo good a game for a friendly.

the video ref.was brought into play,that was after the ref.awarded a penalty and brandished the red card.

so it can only get better,the ref did get some stick from the french as he was tooooooooo slow letting them know it was going upstairs.

• 4 months later...

Just watched a really good programme on SuperSports. Reviewing how the Bundelsiga are going on with the VAR. A lot of promising results coming out with no or next to little delays which is what we were all concerned about.

Interesting the VAR's for all the matches are all in a studio in Cologne (about 4 qualified refs per game). Didn't expect that as I just assumed they would be physically at the match but on reflection, it makes absolute sense.

They have a guy watching the match in real time from every angle and sometimes have the result before the ref asks for assistance. They don't interfere though unless the ref asks. I think it's also a good decision not to do it the same way as in Rugby, Cricket etc by running through it on the big screen in the stadium. Checking all the angles themselves as quick as they can in the studio, is getting the decision back to the ref ASAP

I'm sure there will be hic up's along the way but it all looks promising so far.

14 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Didn't see that particular incident Champers.

Did the ref give a red in the first place? Or was he unsure and referred it? Did it get the right outcome?

The victim was laid out and bleeding, so the ref referred it and saw what happened. Hard to see in real time but obvious in slomo. I am surprised that Bonucci did what he did knowing that technology is available. Or maybe it is just standard Italian defending.

• 1 month later...

Bournemouth denied a penalty and get a suspension and the ref has admitted his mistake.

Good to see such frank honesty from the ref but the rules are still in the dark ages regards the suspension policy.

As to video reffing well it would have been ideal for this for sure.

Still sitting on the fence though.