Is the portrayal of Thailand as a risque travel destination such a bad thing?

sipi

Yeah very very risqué.. I had 2 experiences that really stick out

Dropping my wallet in men's toilet mbk with 18k in it. A thai guy ran after me and handed it over, got a 1k tip

Udon thani bus station, got into a cab but passport slid out of a bag with an open side pocket along with a book reader. Another cab didn't catch up with us until near the airport, passport in hand.. No erader but I could care less still got 1k tip

Be careful out there folks thailand is soooo dangerous..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

How are either of those situations Thailand specific? If I were you I'd be more careful. With incidents like that--not only did you drop your valuables, but you walked off without them--you are a unfortunate accident waiting to happen.
I get what your saying but they were isolated and 9 years between the two so, you know shit happens.. Why thai specific? Firstly it happened here, second it's a reflection on the honesty of the people especially considering its a developing country.

Do some research along those lines, you will be pleasantly surprised

Dropping my wallet in men's toilet mbk with 18k in it. A thai guy ran after me and handed it over, got a 1k tip

Udon thani bus station, got into a cab but passport slid out of a bag with an open side pocket along with a book reader. Another cab didn't catch up with us until near the airport, passport in hand.. No erader but I could care less still got 1k tip

How are either of those situations Thailand specific? If I were you I'd be more careful. With incidents like that--not only did you drop your valuables, but you walked off without them--you are a unfortunate accident waiting to happen.
I get what your saying but they were isolated and 9 years between the two so, you know shit happens.. Why thai specific? Firstly it happened here, second it's a reflection on the honesty of the people especially considering its a developing country.

You stated, "Yeah very very risqué.." in response to the OP's topic. Then, after you recounted your two lapses in valuables control, you said, "Be careful out there folks thailand is soooo dangerous.." Hence my comment, "How are either of those situations Thailand specific?" And, it is especially disconcerting since you did not suffer from those two lapses due to honest Thais. So, please explain how these situations correlate to Thailand being dangerous or risque?

How many of the western tourists can come to Thailand and enjoy a holiday without getting regularly plastered?

That is your answer, and a reason for the shirtless and drunks brigade getting into all sorts of bother, and YES, I am generalising

here. Stay sober and behave yourself and you will see what a wonderful country Thailand can be.

If you are looking for perfection, then you may as well stay out of Thailand, and that goes for holidaying in any country.

You stated, "Yeah very very risqué.." in response to the OP's topic. Then, after you recounted your two lapses in valuables control, you said, "Be careful out there folks thailand is soooo dangerous.." Hence my comment, "How are either of those situations Thailand specific?" And, it is especially disconcerting since you did not suffer from those two lapses due to honest Thais. So, please explain how these situations correlate to Thailand being dangerous or risque?

Are you hung over or just not very bright? If someone sees me drop my wallet and scoops it up and then does a runner, it's as good as a crime. maybe your ok with that..

I think Thailand means different things to different people. Some think of go-go bars and massage parlours. Some think of temples, floating markets, calming retreats and exotic foods. Others think of beach bars, scuba dives and full moon parties.

You nailed it. The Thais are great at catering to different people from everywhere. Late one night I ended up in a nightclub catering mainly to Indians. It was like a scene out of Boolywood. I enjoyed it, not to everyone's tastes I know, but the Indians were having a ball.

There are many tourist type places that are popular with the Thais that Thai friends have taken me too that are just amazing that many foreigners don't really know about also or travel much too.. Koa Kitchakut, for example, morlum festivals, Bang Fai rocket festivals, Bang Fai Payana in Nongkai, Thai pubs etc etc. just when I think I have seen it all, something else amazing in Thailand pops up.

Yesterday I went Bang Pra reservoir in chonburi. It wasn't that great, but heaps of Thais there all enjoying life.

I am not a big fan of sitting in a beer bar. I am not also into "the bar girlfriend" experience. But each to there own. Some people like it, why do I care.

However I am a big fan of the better go go bars. Sitting in air conditioned comfort with cheap beers brought to you with the often absolutely stunning ladies dancing and wearing only shoes and makeup I find a very pleasurable experience. Certainly cheaper and way more fun than sitting in a pub in Oz where the beer is expensive, you have to serve yourself, and the only entertainment is poker machines or the horse/dog races.

One of my favorite things to do in a gogo, is to tip the DJ to play some Thai songs instead of the standard western music and watch the girls come to life.

Risqué? Sure. The Thais do many things well, they are also good at risqué.

Fun people these Thais.

Edited by Roomuck

Are you hung over or just not very bright? If someone sees me drop my wallet and scoops it up and then does a runner, it's as good as a crime. maybe your ok with that..

He may well be hungover as you suggest,but you appear still drunk ,so incoherent and disconnected is your logic.

I have lately thought of Thailand's risque image as a tourist destination as unfavorable if not embarrassing, and certainly dangerous.

Yet I am becoming involved in conversation with numerous travelers who still enjoy the liberality.

A recent chat with, who I perceived as a conservative elderly lady actually left me feeling slightly proud of Thailands tourist image.

She found the ladies of Pattaya attractive and fun with their "Massage, massage" chorus; amongst other things.

Should Thailand remain a liberal tourist destination, or sterilize it's market to historical and temple tours?

I have lately thought of Thailand's risque image as a tourist destination as unfavorable if not embarrassing, and certainly dangerous.

Yet I am becoming involved in conversation with numerous travelers who still enjoy the liberality.

A recent chat with, who I perceived as a conservative elderly lady actually left me feeling slightly proud of Thailands tourist image.

She found the ladies of Pattaya attractive and fun with their "Massage, massage" chorus; amongst other things.

Should Thailand remain a liberal tourist destination, or sterilize it's market to historical and temple tours?

Any country can be dangerous.. If you act like a fool, take risks like a fool.. Well to bad. Australia has had its fair share of dangers to backpackers only recently 2 females where attacked rapped and the lives taken.. Luckily enough they survived

Any country can be dangerous.. If you act like a fool, take risks like a fool.. Well to bad. Australia has had its fair share of dangers to backpackers only recently 2 females where attacked rapped and the lives taken.. Luckily enough they survived

How can lives be taken and yet they survived?

mcfish said, "Are you hung over or just not very bright? If someone sees me drop my wallet and scoops it up and then does a runner, it's as good as a crime. maybe your ok with that.."

Duh, me hung over or not very bright? Does your mirror have a teleprompter?

You have invented a crime where none existed; a crime that could happen anywhere, and you are assigning that imaginary crime as an example of Thailand being dangerous or risqué. It seems rather obvious which one of us is not very bright.

No one stole your wallet or your passport and if you drop your wallet again, you are negligent or stupid, or both. And, that has absolutely nothing to with Thailand.

mcfish said, "Are you hung over or just not very bright? If someone sees me drop my wallet and scoops it up and then does a runner, it's as good as a crime. maybe your ok with that.."

You have invented a crime where none existed; a crime that could happen anywhere, and you are assigning that imaginary crime as an example of Thailand being dangerous or risqué. It seems rather obvious which one of us is not very bright.

No one stole your wallet or your passport and if you drop your wallet again, you are negligent or stupid, or both. And, that has absolutely nothing to with Thailand.

If I may help here. I understand mcfish clearly. Maybe you took the sarcasm for gospil. Such as "its sooooo dangerous". ...he was joking.

We are talking about whether Thailand is risky or risque (or both) place to travel. He related two incidents where crimes could have been committed but werent because of the honesty of the Thai individuals concerned. A reflection of his positive experiences with locals. Both happened in Thailand, irregardless of the time period. Hope that helps.....or am I missing something?

Sure it is....The masses jus look at the current travelguides online and decide. They don't care especially what specific country it is. They just want sun, beach, or maybe asian culture, at a low price, available anywhere.

If the guide says this year... oh wow Myanmar is great ! the just as easily decide to go there.

Thaland needs more than just the typical Thailand traveller who will return no matter what.

So yes these stupid messages do matter on the long run. It creates a (false?) atmosphere. Like Vietnam or Laos are any better, just because they are in fashion with the tourist agencies...???

Risky my ass. Check out this compilation video of robbery in Rio at a major intersection http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=380_1456933847

A few years back a Bangkok taxi driver hacked an American passenger to death with a samourai sword al was filmed with cctv and is still to be seen on you tube.

"A few years back ..."

Well that settles it, Thailand must be risque ... er , risky. He could have saved on the airfare and visited St. Louis or Detroit where someone is murdered every day or two.

Or Oakland where almost as many are murdered than graduate high school....

If I may help here. I understand mcfish clearly. Maybe you took the sarcasm for gospil. Such as "its sooooo dangerous". ...he was joking.

We are talking about whether Thailand is risky or risque (or both) place to travel. He related two incidents where crimes could have been committed but werent because of the honesty of the Thai individuals concerned. A reflection of his positive experiences with locals. Both happened in Thailand, irregardless of the time period. Hope that helps.....or am I missing something?

Thank you ThaiFelix, what you say may have merit, IF he was joking. However, his retort, "mcfish said, "Are you hung over or just not very bright? If someone sees me drop my wallet and scoops it up and then does a runner, it's as good as a crime. maybe your ok with that.."" discounts that theory.

Thank you ThaiFelix, what you say may have merit, IF he was joking. However, his retort, "mcfish said, "Are you hung over or just not very bright? If someone sees me drop my wallet and scoops it up and then does a runner, it's as good as a crime. maybe your ok with that.."" discounts that theory.

If I cut off my left hand I have my right hand left, right?

Edited by ThaiFelix

Tell you what I have noticed on TV is that men especially as they age become fearful of all sorts of imaginary demons. They get soft mentally. 99‰of crime in this country is thai on thai but I've yet to meet a fearful thai woman, in fact again it's farang that even become fearful of thai women, getting bossed and harassed by 4ft pip squeaks ! I guess you could hide behind the wife's or gf"s skirt when walking those dangerous sois

Hardern up guys or go home.. It's embarrassing

Tell you what I have noticed on TV is that men especially as they age become fearful of all sorts of imaginary demons. They get soft mentally. 99‰of crime in this country is thai on thai but I've yet to meet a fearful thai woman, in fact again it's farang that even become fearful of thai women, getting bossed and harassed by 4ft pip squeaks ! I guess you could hide behind the wife's or gf"s skirt when walking those dangerous sois

I think a lot of these guys lived with their mum until they were married, then lived with their wife looking after them until they divorced, then came here and found a Thai woman to dote over them. They might talk tough, but they're basically lifelong mummy's boys.

I got a little secret for you mcfish.......................TV is not always real tongue.png

I got a little secret for you mcfish.......................TV is not always real tongue.png

Now that's a relief.. Was getting worried :-)