the trees along the seaside promenade

coralia

Tropical almonds. ?

The fruit is hard and green at first. Then yellow - inside are the nuts.

They have other names else where but latin is Terminalia Catappa

If you are in India it is an Indian Almond in Singapore a Singapore Almond and so on may be you can start calling them Jomtien Almonds....

The tree can grow to be over 100 feet tall - but not round these parts, coz the locals cut them back so you have to pay money for shade under their umbrellas.....TiT...

Dong tang beach has many squirrels that nibble the outer skin and drop them on the ground.

Tropical almonds. ?

The fruit is hard and green at first. Then yellow - inside are the nuts.

They have other names else where but latin is Terminalia Catappa

If you are in India it is an Indian Almond in Singapore a Singapore Almond and so on may be you can start calling them Jomtien Almonds....

The tree can grow to be over 100 feet tall - but not round these parts, coz the locals cut them back so you have to pay money for shade under their umbrellas.....TiT...

Dong tang beach has many squirrels that nibble the outer skin and drop them on the ground.

I wish we had a botanist to confirm this. I have always called them "umbrella trees." They provide great shade, hold the sand in and are salt tolerant (halophytic). It may be Terminalia catappa, as stated above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminalia_catappa

post-110622-0-67789400-1457237068_thumb.

In my view, cutting them all down along the beach was a crime against present and future generations.

Thanks for that post. I am certain you are right and this is the species:

Casuarina equisetifolia, commonly known as ironwood or horsetail casuarina (son talay in Thai) that is an integral part of Thai coastal areas. An evergreen tree, it is salt and drought resistant; it has a massive trunk and strong, hard wood, thus it makes a formidable windbreak; and it has an extensive network of roots that is very effective as a sand-dune stabiliser and for preventing coastal erosion.

post-110622-0-78529600-1457252516_thumb.

post-110622-0-36897600-1457252532_thumb.

post-110622-0-60544200-1457252544_thumb.

"Preventing coastal erosion." No wonder they wanted to destroy all of them!

I was going to mention the Ironwood trees as well. As stated they and the other trees hold the beaches together.

The other trees that were removed from Pattaya beach road were the Tamarind Trees, again massive trees giving great shade and fruit for the animals / birds that might live here.

Sadly, they do make a bit of a mess on concrete as the fruit gets squished and looks like dog poop on the pavements.

I noticed the other day that they were cutting down the coconut trees on Jomtien Beach....no consideration giving to the Palm Swifts and Bats that live in these trees and eat the mosquitos and flies that might give humans diseases.....

Instead of mad plans to move mega millions of tonnes of sand to restore a beach, it is much cheaper in the long run to plant the proper trees and vegetation.... marram grasses hold the dunes together in the netherlands and the UK.

In a country that lacks foresight further than the length of their short stubby noses, planning such a thing will never happen.

Screw around with nature and it will bite you back a million fold everytime....

Archived