Health Insurance in Chiang Mai

helicondelta

I'm looking to buy health insurance in Chiang Mai.

I'd appreciate any recommendations about places where I can go to get a quote and buy a plan.

I'm looking for a low cost plan that covers serious illnesses and accidents. I'm in the early 30's and in good health.

Thanks in advance,

You could make a start with a bank accident insurance. I'm with BKK Bank, and they have a scheme for their customers covering us for accidents up to 200,000THB.

At your age you shouldn't have a problem with general Health Insurance. Believe me, they don't want to know us old expats unless we've been insured for years.

I'm 73 and few insurance policies will cover me when I travel. Fortunately I scuba dive and I am a member of DAN, the scuba diver's association. DAN has an additional travel plan for less than $800 dollars a year and you get fantastic coverage. So I'm insured while diving (DAN) and I'm insured while not diving (DAN Guardian) wherever I go in the world. Now, 200 miles from my U.S. address the plan stops. My U.S. insurance then covers me. Go online, input DAN, check it out. Oh, you need Open Water PADI certification? Darn. Just go to Phuket/Kao Lak and get certified. It's fun and you do this once in your life and have a blast doing it. Don't swim well? That's a plus. Diving is all about not moving. I'm a lap swimmer and after more than 400 dives, I'm just barely learning to slow down and look for tiny beautiful creatures.

Our favourite Visa Agent also does insurance work... they use BUPA and Axa. Now the cost...for you Im not sure but for me being a retiree its not cheap.

Best thing is to pop into their office in Chiang Mai land and speak to their wonderful staff.

Oh Assist Thai Visa is the name of the company

And now to answer the question...

Allianz/Allianz Ayudhya

AIA

Thai Health

BUPA

Just a start...

As to where they are, that I can't tell you. Most are in Bangkok but you can pick up the telephone and speak with a customer service rep. They will send you a package by post. There may be local reps, I don't know. You could also call Peter at AA Insurance - forum sponsor, and he will sort you out.

Peter

AA INSURANCE BROKERS CO.,LTD.

565/62 Moo 10 (Next to Big C)

Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi 20150

Don't think I'm allowed to post the telephone number but you can find it easily.

I was with Bupa Thailand for a while, they were ok & paid out for an operation I needed.

But their maximum payout was a bit low for my comfort.

I changed to Bupa international, if you take a large excess (£5,000) the annual premiums are ok.

Their max payout is much higher than Bupa Thailand.

I joined & renew online.

You could make a start with a bank accident insurance. I'm with BKK Bank, and they have a scheme for their customers covering us for accidents up to 200,000THB.

At your age you shouldn't have a problem with general Health Insurance. Believe me, they don't want to know us old expats unless we've been insured for years.

I agree banks are a good option, but if you're depending on it to help out in the event of a motorcycle accident (many scooter riders only carry minimum vehicle insurance or none at all and rely on health insurance to cover them) most of them limit benefits to 50% or less in the event of a bike mishap. I was opening an account at Kasikorn Bank on Saturday and I asked specifically about coverage for a motorbike accident, and they limit it to 30% of the max payout. Always ask about it if you ride (regardless of where you're buying your insurance).

Read that Bangkok Bank accident insurance policy carefully. It's not worth the money, IMO.

Actually the Bangkok Bank personal accident insurance policy is good for older people who are unable to purchase comprehensive medical insurance or people who decide to do what Hubby and I have done -- we have medical insurance, but with a per-event deductible (USD 1000) in order to keep the cost low.

The Bangkok Bank policy will insure up to age 100, with no exclusion for pre-existing conditions and no deductibles. It's about 7200 baht per year with a max payout of 200,000 baht. Not huge, but enough to cover our deductible.

Moreover, it's recognized at the local hospitals. I know numerous people over age 60 who have had accidents (I'm not talking about vehicular accidents, but older people who have had slip-and-falls or been hit by motorcycles while walking). They have simply gone to CM Ram Hospital, presented the Bangkok Bank personal accident insurance card and never seen a bill.

They're more than willing to insure the frail elderly and people with mobility issues.

That seems pretty good in my book.

Accident insurance a really good idea for retirees especially if you are self funding medical bills.

I think you find it that Bangkok Bank only sell the insurance,The policy is in fact issued by Bangkok Insurance Company a totally different company. to the bank had one for two years but changed to AIA.

Don 't forget to read the small print if you ride a motorcycle and have an accident however caused you are not covered.

AIA do a better policy a bit more expensive 10k for the two of us as an annual premium but the benefits are nearly twice as much as Bangkok insurance.

Tend to go to Assist Insurance to get my Health Insurance. Guy to speak to is called Andy; very professional and has done it for a long time. He is English which helps with explaining the breakdown of what I pay. Have seen a couple of others before here in Chiang Mai but the language barrier always makes it difficult to communicate clearly.

If you're over 70 forget it.

Apart from being horrendously expensive, you're sure to have a pre-existing something, somewhere that they will move heaven and earth to find if you need them.

Perhaps accident insurance is a better option.........but it all boils down to finances in the end.

Thanks. What I had in mind was something like Bupa or Axa and I was just wondering where I can buy a plan in Chiang Mai.

I'm not a BKK Bank customer so that's probably not an option for me.

My Thai son and his wife and 3 kids have health insurance with Tokio Marine. Their health policies have wider coverage and options than most and you can add personal accident cover. Also have pension plans, vehicle and house & contents plans.

One of their senior ladies speaks pretty good English and she will come to the house to discuss with you and explain clearly. Pleasant lady, good listener, no push.

If you want her name and number please PM to me.

Accident insurance a really good idea for retirees especially if you are self funding medical bills.

I think you find it that Bangkok Bank only sell the insurance,The policy is in fact issued by Bangkok Insurance Company a totally different company. to the bank had one for two years but changed to AIA.

Don 't forget to read the small print if you ride a motorcycle and have an accident however caused you are not covered.

AIA do a better policy a bit more expensive 10k for the two of us as an annual premium but the benefits are nearly twice as much as Bangkok insurance.

K bank also have it.

Allianz/Allianz Ayudhya

AIA

Thai Health

BUPA

Just a start...

As to where they are, that I can't tell you. Most are in Bangkok but you can pick up the telephone and speak with a customer service rep. They will send you a package by post. There may be local reps, I don't know. You could also call Peter at AA Insurance - forum sponsor, and he will sort you out.

Peter

Don't think I'm allowed to post the telephone number but you can find it easily.

AA appear a bit hit and miss according to this thread... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/860193-aa-insurance-brokers/

Allianz/Allianz Ayudhya

AIA

Thai Health

BUPA

Just a start...

Peter

AA appear a bit hit and miss according to this thread... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/860193-aa-insurance-brokers/

Huh? I read the thread - most of it. It's all praise for AA. Anyway I have been doing business with them for almost 10 years. Great agency.