Rush for Irish passports brought on by Brexit fears

Rush for Irish passports brought on by Brexit fears

Desire to remain an EU citizen after a possible leave vote is cited by many British-born applicants as motivating factor

Esther Addley

Friday 4 March 2016

4914.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Last weekend, shortly before he sat down to watch Ireland play England in the rugby Six Nations championship, Kevin Warnes posted the application form to renew his Irish passport. Though Warnes was born and has always lived in England and considers himself “completely English”, his mother is originally from Ireland, which allowed him to obtain dual citizenship as a young man in the 1980s when he was doing a lot of travelling in Europe.

A teacher from Shipley in West Yorkshire, he had allowed his Irish passport to lapse. But the prospect of Britain potentially voting to leave the EU in June “propelled me into action”, he says.

“I have two children and I want them to retain their EU citizenship. I want them to be able to travel, live and work freely in a Europe of open borders, to explore their near world with as much liberty as possible.” As soon as he gets his own passport back, Warnes will apply for Irish citizenship for his teenage daughters as well. “I certainly wouldn’t have done that if it wasn’t for Brexit.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/04/rush-for-irish-passports-brought-on-by-brexit-fears

Edited by Morakot