Best cheap smartphone

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just ordered a grey UMI Super from GearBest, got it for just under 200$.

It will likely take a while to arrive as I choose the standard shipping method, so in worst case scenario about 25 days.

Obviously no places in Thailand to fix it if I get problems with it but I am wiling to take that chance.

I've never had a standard shipping order from Gearbest take more than 15 days from the first business day to my Bangkok address. They are pretty quick about getting them out, as long as it's not a "pre-order".

I have to warn you about the Microsoft LTE phone. The phone has a lot going for it with a great camera, voice quality, signal and WiFi, BUT, to my disappointment it doesn't work with Thai 3G or 4G. As long as you are using only WiFi, it is great. When I connect data to Dtac or AIS, all I get is an E indicator for edge. That is very slow.

I have to warn you about the Microsoft LTE phone. The phone has a lot going for it with a great camera, voice quality, signal and WiFi, BUT, to my disappointment it doesn't work with Thai 3G or 4G. As long as you are using only WiFi, it is great. When I connect data to Dtac or AIS, all I get is an E indicator for edge. That is very slow.

In line with Gary's comment above, anyone buying a smartphone intended for use in Thailand for high speed data should make sure the phone at least includes the following frequency bands

3G: 2100 and 850 Mhz

4G/LTE: 2100, 1800 and 850 Mhz

There will be other bands that likely will come into use for LTE in the future. But these ones are the essentials for now.

The Chinese in particular tend to use different LTE bands, as do carriers in the U.S. So you do have to be careful when ordering smartphones from abroad that their radios are set up for worldwide reception, not just local to the markets where they were manufactured or intended to mainly be sold.

Likewise, each of the major Thai mobile carriers provides their 3G and LTE services on different bands among those I listed above. But, if you have a phone that can receive on all those bands, you can pretty much go to any Thai carrier and know you'll be fine for make use of their high speed data services.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

My UMI super should hopefully arrive this coming week, around Wednesday maybe, can hardly wait. Well I paid 198$ and not 179$ and hope for no import tax but we will see.

Below is what currently are on offer in the more and more popular 5.5" range.

My last 3-4 phones has been 5" phones so I am very much looking forward to try the UMI 5.5" 4GB full HD powerhouse.

If all goes well, my IQ II will be given to my 6 year old son and and I will remove all no more needed apps and load it with Lego games and stuff like that and I will keep my Lumina 640 LTE Win phone as spare.

http://www.androidauthority.com/umi-super-value-priced-699920/

Edited by guzzi850m2

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my UMI Super today after 13 days wait. Thankfully no tax was demanded when Kerry express (express?? LOL) delivered it to my house today.

Man the 5,5" screen is nice compared to the 5" I used before, quite a big difference in screen size but likely max size for me or the phone will be too big.

Used my Play store account to synchronize all my stuff from the old IQ II so that was pretty painless.

So far very positive impressions, fells very sturdy with a solid fell to it, very fast, crisp detailed screen, long battery life, no Chinese aps preloaded and a nice user experience.

Not so good; heavy (not a big problem for me), sound from the speaker is a bit boxy when watching UTube clips.

I still haven't sorted the finger print scanner out, will look at that tomorrow and get my Thai & Singapore Sim cards fitted.

This is likely one of the best sub 200$ 5.5" phones on the market today but the Xiaomi in same size has a faster CPU but cost over 200$ as far as I know.

My IQ II has been giving me problems lately with CPU overheating and crashing using almost all of the Ram (1 GB), the Lego game I loaded on it seems to be too much for it.

Seems like Facebook eats up the ram for unknown reasons. Well the phone will get a hard reset soon when I am happy with the UMI set-up and then I will load some games on it my son likes and see how that goes.

How does UMI handle the issue of the apps drawer on these Android phones? And it's a Chinese sourced phone that comes with NO Chinese apps pre-installed???

Some of the Chinese Android models apparently are being configured without the traditional Android app drawer, meaning the only place for arrange the apps is basically on the various home screens.

How does UMI handle the issue of the apps drawer on these Android phones? And it's a Chinese sourced phone that comes with NO Chinese apps pre-installed???

Some of the Chinese Android models apparently are being configured without the traditional Android app drawer, meaning the only place for arrange the apps is basically on the various home screens.

No there are no Chinese apps installed, my old Onda tablet have quite a few of the type that can't be deleted. The UMI S is pretty bare-bones apps wise from the factory and then you customize yourself which I like.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by the traditional android drawer? No need to have the apps on the home screes if not wanted, the phone has the white bottom for access to all installed apps. But I have installed Swapps.

Further to my first impressions I can add: The usb-C/supplied charger can charge the phone really fast, I charged it yesterday morning from 40% to 100 in about an hour. I will try to time it next time but it's very fast for sure.

Got an android update yesterday (this phone is 6.0), a bug fix and security update, oh I just checked now and there is another one, 26.85MB; optimization system and minor bug fixes, hmm.

Well I hope it has something to do with the finger print scanner because that is NOT working very well, about 3 times out of 10 so far, not impressed at all and I have tried allocated the same finger tip on 2 of the 5 finger tip scanner slots, if not improving the 3rd slot will be my middle finger, LOL.

Further I can say; Wi-fi is good, I can sit out on the patio at my house and get a good signal, so on par with my Ipad mini2 and my old IQ2, I was concerned the metal housing would limit the wi-fi range.

GPS is much better than on my old phone, it picks up satellites very fast, accuracy currently 6 meters here in my office in the house and 7-9 satellites in use of the 21 in view.

All in all I am very impressed with this phone and fell I got a lot of phone for my 200$.

My favorite cheapy at the moment is an IQ X Slim 2. It does everything pretty well for a 5,000 baht phone. I was using the Lumina 4,000 baht Windows phone for my regular driver until I discovered that it could not be tethered with my computer. That irritates me. It has hot spot but no direct tether for the Internet. I have ordered a USB WiFi receiver for my desk top. Depending on how that works, I may start using it again.

Obviously I'm no techie. Turning on data on the Lumina works but it is very slow. Now I have the USB WiFi receiver installed on my desktop. Just for curiosity, I turned off my 4G air card and turned on the Lumina hot spot. It works great and is just as fast as the 4G air card. Why is it slow using data but very fast through the hot spot? The Lumina is back as my everyday driver.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by the traditional android drawer? No need to have the apps on the home screes if not wanted, the phone has the white bottom for access to all installed apps.

The traditional Android phone has two ways of viewing the apps installed on the device:

--one is through the various home screens that a user can customize with whatever apps they want to place there, or none if they choose.

--second is through an on-screen icon or button at the middle bottom of the phone home screen that, when pressed, brings up the entire complete list of EVERY app installed on the phone, a list that usually can be sorted in alpha order, or how frequently used, or even a custom ordering. That's called the Android app drawer, and on my phone, is accessed by pressing an on-screen icon of six dots in the bottom middle of my home screen.

Some of the Chinese manufacturers have been doing away with the app drawer, and simply having all the apps be displayed on the various home screens, and that's the only way for accessing them.

That's the difference I was talking about, and asking about in regard to how UMI is configuring their mobiles on that issue.

My ASUS Zenfone 2 has Android 6.0 at this point, and once I've pressed the 6 dots button to get to the app drawer, in the top right hand corner of the screen, there's an on-screen icon of 3 vertical dots. Tap that, and it brings up a context menu that on mine includes an A-Z or Z-A sort option.

Right next to the 3 dots icon on mine, there is a four small square boxes icon. Tap that, and it brings up a "View Mode" menu that allows you to choose all apps, downloaded apps, customed, or frequent apps to display.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Doogee as well best bit of kit ive ever had. 3100 baht looks gorgeous feels gorgeous plenty of storage for apps and best camera ive ever seen on smartphone

I agree with everything but the camera part...decent but not in a league with Xiaomi and Asus

The new Doogee X-5 and the Homtom Ht-7 (Made by Doogee) are less than $60 including shipping on Gearbest.com (and a few others)

Similar specs...1gb/8gb, Android 5.1, 5.5" 720p display, 3000mAh battery...

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_268418.html

I have bought several Doogee's as gifts over the last 2 years and never a problem One of the best basic phones available.

Hi. I am thinking about getting the Homtom HT7 pro from Gearbest, but I am not sure about the service or quality from Gearbest. Have you (or anybody else) had experience of them? I know this is still a cheap phone, but, if it goes wrong, I will still want it sorted out.

Cheers

I got a Doogee as well best bit of kit ive ever had. 3100 baht looks gorgeous feels gorgeous plenty of storage for apps and best camera ive ever seen on smartphone

I agree with everything but the camera part...decent but not in a league with Xiaomi and Asus

The new Doogee X-5 and the Homtom Ht-7 (Made by Doogee) are less than $60 including shipping on Gearbest.com (and a few others)

I have bought several Doogee's as gifts over the last 2 years and never a problem One of the best basic phones available.

Hi. I am thinking about getting the Homtom HT7 pro from Gearbest, but I am not sure about the service or quality from Gearbest. Have you (or anybody else) had experience of them? I know this is still a cheap phone, but, if it goes wrong, I will still want it sorted out.

Cheers

I got my UMI Super from gearbest, took 13 days to arrive with free shipping (no import tax).

No idea about the Homtom, cheap for sure and it looks nice, 2gb ram and 16gb room, not too bad.

Yes those Chinese phones are all over the place now, Samsung must be worried.

I am so far very happy with my umi and I am getting better hits now with the finger print scanner as well.

The problem is if they brake down, send them back or throw out?, hmm.

Well if I can get 2 years out of my phone, I am happy, time to get a new one at that time.

My old IQ II now serves as gaming device for my son and after I removed all apps, it's okay for that.

Cheers

I got my UMI Super from gearbest, took 13 days to arrive with free shipping (no import tax).

No idea about the Homtom, cheap for sure and it looks nice, 2gb ram and 16gb room, not too bad.

Yes those Chinese phones are all over the place now, Samsung must be worried.

I am so far very happy with my umi and I am getting better hits now with the finger print scanner as well.

The problem is if they brake down, send them back or throw out?, hmm.

Well if I can get 2 years out of my phone, I am happy, time to get a new one at that time.

My old IQ II now serves as gaming device for my son and after I removed all apps, it's okay for that.

Thanks for that. If I can get 2 years I will be well happy. i am ore worried about it collapsing within a year I suppose. Still, could be worth the gamble as I can't find one in Thailand.

Thanks again

Cheers

I've ordered a number of items from Gearbest over the last two years, the latest last month and have always had good service from them. The free shipping usually takes about 10 days.

My only complaint is there is no customer service phone number...all CS issues are handled by automatic e-mail with a lot of drop down menus. That said, any issue I've had was quickly resolved.

My last purchase was a Homtom HT3...ordered it for a neighbor who needed a decent inexpensive phone. She is very happy with it. I played around with it for a day and for a $50 phone, it was impressive. Display bright with good color, smooth scrolling and decent camera quality. She wanted a smaller phone so the HT-3's 4.5 inch was perfect. A friend has had an HT-7 for about 4 months and likes it very much.

Looks like I may have to hold off on this as it is for my misses and she uses a True package.

Seems the phone doesn't work on 850 MHz which True uses for 3G. Her pakage is for True move H does anybody know if True move H will work with a phone with the following frequencies

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 900/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE: 800/1800/2100/2600MHz

Looks like I may be behind. Does True now do 3G on 2100 for all packages? When I use my phone it shows the H for mobile data. Is there a way to find out what requency is being used on my actual package?

OOps it is showing 3G now. She is using an old samsung ace 2 which I don't believe is ready for 4G, so would she be able to use 4G with her package? It is an ismart pakage that says it is non stop 4G/3G

Arghh this is becoming a nightmare. I want to order this today now to get it for her birthday

Looks like I may have to hold off on this as it is for my misses and she uses a True package.

Seems the phone doesn't work on 850 MHz which True uses for 3G. Her pakage is for True move H does anybody know if True move H will work with a phone with the following frequencies

A phone that works on the above frequencies is going to be fine for Thailand for 4G/LTE, since the main two LTE frequencies here are 2100 and 1800.

As for 3G, yes, it's missing the 850 band used by True and DTAC, but all the carriers also are using 2100 Mhz. You'd need to check with True as to how they've divvied up their frequency allocations these days, and how/if missing 850 3G would limit their service.

As for the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, AFAIK, it's a 3G only phone, no 4G/LTE.

A phone that works on the above frequencies is going to be fine for Thailand for 4G/LTE, since the main two LTE frequencies here are 2100 and 1800.

As for 3G, yes, it's missing the 850 band used by True and DTAC, but all the carriers also are using 2100 Mhz. You'd need to check with True as to how they've divvied up their frequency allocations these days, and how/if missing 850 3G would limit their service.

As for the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, AFAIK, it's a 3G only phone, no 4G/LTE.

Thanks. I thought 4G would be no problem, but as I live in Uttaradit I was worried about coverage. According to True, Uttaradit is all 4G, so it should be fine. When i bought my original samsung ace 2 (GT-i18160) it would not work with true internet. I later had to buy one (samsung ace 2) off a complete stranger after a bump (nightmare) that one (GT-i18160L) was Ok for 3G internet,

Apparently it made an L of a difference. Sorry.... I couldn't help that

Cheers

Edited by nellyp

• 2 weeks later...

It turns out I get no 4G reception and I cannot acces my data plan. Phone is Ok, it is just that I can only use it for phonecalls. A bit of a waste of money really. A trip to True office is required to check if my plan (which says  something like "un-interrupted 3G/4G coverage" actually works with 4G. I checked on the coverage map, and Uttaradit (where I live) is supposed to be complete 4G coverage

13 minutes ago, nellyp said:

It turns out I get no 4G reception and I cannot acces my data plan. Phone is Ok, it is just that I can only use it for phonecalls. A bit of a waste of money really. A trip to True office is required to check if my plan (which says  something like "un-interrupted 3G/4G coverage" actually works with 4G. I checked on the coverage map, and Uttaradit (where I live) is supposed to be complete 4G coverage

Take note that if your phone has 2 sim slots, probably only 1 of them will be 3G/4G compliant. You will also have to set up the APN of your phone, which can be done automatically by an SMS message your receive from your provider

Edited by Berty100

30 minutes ago, Berty100 said:

Take note that if your phone has 2 sim slots, probably only 1 of them will be 3G/4G compliant. You will also have to set up the APN of your phone, which can be done automatically by an SMS message your receive from your provider

Thanks. I will change the sim tomorrow. Can I get True to send the APN message by visiting the shop?

Thanks again

1 minute ago, nellyp said:

Thanks. I will change the sim tomorrow. Can I get True to send the APN message by visiting the shop?

Thanks again

You can just call the call center, but I just set up the new phone of my ex who had the same problem as you, and when I changed her Dtac sim card to the first slot she received the set up messages within a few seconds without calling anyone.