Sor Tor Gor land, and best way to purchase and transfer

I understand the risks of buying STG land, and that it is the most risky of all types. I am interested in those who have already been through the process recently, or years ago and their outcome. I am aware many people do purchase primarily for the trade off of low cost land.

Any movement on conversion to different land classification, and after how many years, NSG or NSS, Chanote? Any problems with sellers attempting to take it back? Best to purchase via long term renewable lease with statements from all family members that the inheritance goes to someone other than them?

How to have name changed in Blue book from Forestry, or handled differently when land converts to other status?

Appreciate the comments and feedback. Thanks!

I just googled it and the first hit was:

Sor Tor Gor (S.T.G.), is an land certificate issued only in the zone of national reserved forest. The holder of this document has the right to reside and live on the S.T.G. land. This land is prohibited for sale, however, the right of the holder to reside and live on the land can be passed on heir by inheritance. This document issued by the Thailand Forest Department.

I wonder how you can buy it. I would not build an expensive building on it . The government tends to reclaim STG land and demolish the buidlings on it once a while. It happend with several resorts build illegaly.

Hi Paul,

My wife is an heir to the current owner, yet not a direct family member. So she will be inheriting the land. It's not a large piece of land. A couple acres in an area that appears forthcoming in the CM outskirts with signs of infrastructure progressing already. It is a consideration for a long term future retirement spot, and only regular maintenance through the years leading up to that, 15-20. Not a huge some to lose for the amount, type, and location of land. If growth follows any sort of pattern, I am betting on a small moo-ban with more spaced apart cluster of nicer homes.

STG is forestry land. The deed can (almost) never be legally changed or upgraded. If an upgrade is done and it is done illegally expect the land to be reclaimed at some point.

To think that a moo bahn will be built on the land is incomprehensible. To do that you need the land to be chanote.

The company I work for is in the process of upgrading over 30 (joined) plots of land in Pak Chong. The land was NS3 when they bought it. There is currently a problem as there was a forest in the area but it was cleared over 40 years ago. On top of that the best map the Land Office have from that era is a hand drawn 1:200,000 and it's a bit ambiguous what is what. The matter has been referred to the Land Office in Bangkok.

Taking that into account I think you have little to no chance with currently documented STG.

It would be a nice earner if I was wrong though.

My wifes aunt plans to build a house in Nam Phare, Hang Dong. Her current house is direct on the route of the Canal Road extension and it will be demolished. It is in front of Viva Pizza.

I wonder if she got a build permit because I think her 3 rai has also a STG title. There are some Mango trees on the land.

In december we will visit CM again for one week and we have to stay at aunties place because she will be offended if we rent something else. So I will ask about the land title then and if she got it converted.
I like the area so I asked her to save some space for us to build something over about 10 years ;)