Hiv In Bkk For Newbies

nice_guy :-)

I just received this reply to a post dated sometime ago from Khon Kaen immigration:

Hi ProThaiExpat

We have deleted your posting under http://www.thaiimmigration.com/inv/index.p...4&st=0#entry229

"It is quite clear that the gentleman in Denmark cannot enter the Kingdom because he has one of the diseases listed in Section 12 Para 4.

On the other hand, if a foreigner enters the Kingdom disease free, that is lawfully, and then later contracts one of the diseases in Section 12 Para 4 while residing in the Kingdom and never leaves the kingdom, will he be deported if immigration learns of him contracting the disease in Thailand?"

After doing a lot of research on the subject it has showed up that we were providing a wrong answer, and that the upper statement made by you is wrong as well. What you are stating is how some Thai Authorities are interpreting the rules in the regard of HIV/AIDS, but it's not printed down anywhere. So to avoid anybody claiming that you are giving misguiding information, we have deleted it.

Hoping it's OK with you.

All the best

Admin1

Of course my post was a question primarily, since the first paragraph was a repeat of their now acknowledged incorrect information.

Before I came to thailand on vacation in April I had read that persons with HIV/AIDS were not permitted into the Kingdom of Thailand. was quite worried having plane tickets etc. I called the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and was told that there were no restrictionsregarding HIV/Aids. It also seems unusual for Thailand to be holding the World Aids Conference, the largest one of it's kind, if persons with the disease won't be admitted into the country. Just my thoughts.

• 5 years later...
If there are no laws that denying you stay in Thailand when you are HIV positive, then please explain me, why the Nong Khai Immigration reply me with this:

Thai Law on Immigration, Section 12 says following:

"Aliens whom fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom:"

And paragraph 4 under Section 12 says:

"Being mentally unstable or having any of the diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations"

In the mentioned regulation HIV is clearly stated as one the diseases.

So, if you enter Thailand you will be violating the Law, and since this is a point where we are quite strict, you will be imprisoned and deported when we found out.

How can we found out? There are many ways how we do that, and it happens not too rare that we do.

We are deeply sorry but forget about Thailand. The consequences of breaking our Laws in this regard are far too serious, and the risk of getting caught doing so is quite high.

But as many other write here at the forum, just keep a low profile, then I guess there is no reason not to settle down in Thailand. :)

I found the above quite strange and revolting so I did a check and as of today:

Note: The reason for issuing this Ministerial Regulation is that at present, the situation concerning AIDS has changed immensely. Prevention of infected aliens or those who are HIV positive into or to reside in the kingdom has no effect on the spread of this disease for prohibiting aliens infected with such disease to travel into or reside in the kingdom as in accordance with articles 12(4) and 44(2) of the immigration Act B.E 2522

You are allowed to enter Thailand even if you are HIV+

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org

Thanks for that valuable update into this amazing old thread! :)

I was just doing a search on the forum for "Camillian hospital" yesterday when I found that thread.

Even if the thread is old I think it's a very important information. I personally wouldn't feel very safe getting HIV tested in Thailand knowing that I could be kicked out of the country if it turned out to be positive.

no one really seems to be mentioning the fact that the OP hasnt actually had an HIV test yet! all this talk of medication is irrelevant. until you get an HIV test, whats the point of panicking about it?

if you want a fast and anonymous HIV test, visit the thai red cross clinic, near lumpini park. it costs roughly 200 baht, you get your results in 30 minutes, its anonymous, and they are also a great source of advice/support.

good luck!

no one really seems to be mentioning the fact that the OP hasnt actually had an HIV test yet! all this talk of medication is irrelevant. until you get an HIV test, whats the point of panicking about it?

if you want a fast and anonymous HIV test, visit the thai red cross clinic, near lumpini park. it costs roughly 200 baht, you get your results in 30 minutes, its anonymous, and they are also a great source of advice/support.

good luck!

Not wishing to make light of OP's fear, or the valuable advice shared by others, but yes you are absolutely right, and in my view it's rather typical - never mind the facts here's the hysteria. This subject area is just plain riddled.

• 13 years later...

You are in the perfect place with the perfect mindset as the Buddhist teachings tell you to not have regret for the past,nor anxiety for the future but to live in the present and that is what you must learn to do now.

I was a teenager in the eighties the last decade of real music and bands before electronic music and your story reminds me of a song by a little Ginger Scotsman called Jimmy Somerville.

But I’ll let Wee Jimmy tell the story much better than I ever could this truly is an anthem of the incredible eighties and it’s fantastic music,just the opening bars transport me back there as if I’d just stepped onto a Time Machine enjoy :

It sounds like OP was covered by Thai Social Security. To use it one  must get care at your nominated hospital. And yes, care can include treatment of HIV. 

The hospital would not notify the Social Security Office of a patient's HIV diagnosis. And SSO would not care if they did.

Neither the hospital  nor the SSO would inform immigration.

People with HIV are not legally barred from entering Thailand, or remsining in Thailand.

HIV test is not required by law for a work prermit. However some employers, of their own accord, require an HIV test.

And there is still a lot of stigma and ignorance surrounding HIV in Thailand.