Bus crash kills three and injures 40 in Singburi

webfact

Bus crash kills three and injures 40 in Singburi

139-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Three people, including the bus driver, were killed and 40 others injured when a chartered double deck bus skidded and rammed at a tree on Asian Highway in Phromburi district of Singburi province before dawn on Tuesday.

The bus was on the way from Chiang Rai province to Trat province with about 45 local administration officials and employees on a study trip.

The incident happened at about 03.40 am after it left Chiang Rai last night on a trip to inspect a waste treatment project in Trat.

The bus lost control, ploughed into the ditch in between the incoming and outgoing lanes and rammed at a bug tree in the ditch.

The driver was trapped in his seat, seriously injured.

All the 40 injured were taken to Phromburi and Singburi hospitals.

Rescue workers could not immediately rescue the driver, identified as Tanakit Nuala-ong, 38, as he was trapped in between his seat and the tree.

He died before he could be pulled out and sent to hospital.

Some injured passengers told police that they felt unusual driving as the bus began to zigzag for awhile after reaching Singburi as if the driver was sleepy.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/154074

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-08

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bus lost control, ploughed into the ditch in between the incoming and outgoing lanes and rammed at a bug tree in the ditch.

Thats it! it was the bus's fault. looks like the bus got what was coming to it. Too bad the driver and a couple of passengers died too. I suggest the Junta order that more responsible buses should be purchased in future.

When is Thai Gov't going to get serious about taking action to reduce the horrendous road toll??

As a first step, the installation & wearing of seat belts should compulsory in all vehicles, failure to wear a seat belt should incur heavy fine.

Unrestrained travel in utes,van buses, SUV etc should be banned.

Police to strictly enforce the laws.

When is Thai Gov't going to get serious about taking action to reduce the horrendous road toll??

As a first step, the installation & wearing of seat belts should compulsory in all vehicles, failure to wear a seat belt should incur heavy fine.

When pigs fly.

RIP to the deceased, Sounds like the driver fell asleep at the wheel so that will be the end of the story as he is no longer around to blame anyone else for the crash failing brakes could have been an issue as a last resort for him, the dash cam will reveal all.

I just can't believe some of the heartless posts on this thread.

3 people have died and 40 injured - that is no joking matter.

Sure it's a tragedy that could probably have been prevented but to make jokes about it????

Think about the number of family members who will be affected by this.

Pain and suffering if the victims, loss of earnings etc.

Moral of the story, don't send state officials on study trips. Let them work for a living!

It seems that state officials on study trips account for a lot of bus accidents. I suppose employees in the private sector have more productive uses of their time, such as working hard paying taxes so state officials can go and slam buses at trees.

Thank god for small mercies!

Sure it's a tragedy that could probably have been prevented but to make jokes about it????

I think, it is less "making jokes" than "taking a fatalistic approach"!

How many times do you hear about stuff like that, how many times you read the same BS -"explanations", how many times will nothing be done about it?!

It is really very sad for all the victims, but will there be any change?

As another poster stated: when pigs fly!

And that is also due to the total 'mai bpen rai"- attitude of those, who have not been victims this time...but who might be tomorrow!

I have heard that wearing seat belts and indeed helmets when riding bikes, prevents accidents from happening.

I have an idea! PREVENT to cause of accidents, or is that too much for you to consider?

They need to sort out the farangs first as that is most important and is why its always actioned...

I have heard that wearing seat belts and indeed helmets when riding bikes, prevents accidents from happening.

I have an idea! PREVENT to cause of accidents, or is that too much for you to consider?

What?? "...PREVENT to cause of accidents" Presume you mean, "prevent the cause....". Cause not officially determined or reported.

Perhaps, in stead of a stupid question, give some positive suggestions!!

They need to sort out the farangs first as that is most important and is why its always actioned...

Sorry, don't understand your comment... what do farangs have to do w/ creating Thai road safety measures, apart from being small number of road users?

So sad...But i can smell a crackdown on busdrivers coming.

Enforced for a whole day, if that.

That's always the problem, there is zero enforcement here unless it's about scooter helmets. Quick cash is the name of the game in the land of road carnage.

Wrong address here:

"Think about the number of family members who will be affected by your reckless driving"

is what should be said to the thousands of morons behind the wheels in public transport.

We did a road trip last week Chiang Mai to Tak across to Petchabun and back through Phitsanaluk to CM.

Never again.........Highway 1 should be named the "Death Highway" Nearly got rear ended by 2 trucks from the same company racing each other .The road works mean 2 lanes are constantly going into one.There are no speed limit signs and they would be ignored anyway. Did 1400 kms and did not see one police car actually on the road but came across about 4 police road blocks checking for illegalities.

Unfortuantly to visit some places ie to see families, its either drive or catch a bus.If we ever do again it will be with a company like Nakorn Chai Air who at leas tmonitor their drivers re hours spent driving and speed.

Do you live in Thailand or Nannytown?

Since when do you see police to stop and fine people for not wearing a seatbelt. It's a joke. They can't even stop scooters for riding on pavement or the wrong way up a street. Who has actually passed a driving test, oh sorry yes it's money for licences. Thailand is a joke.

Chiang rai to Trat ?! jeez thats about 10 hrs i recon , why oh why not fly ?

I'm sure everyone on subsistence wages would love to fly if you picked up the tab. See, easy solution.

They are taking steps.......Here in Nakhon Phanom they are removing the central reservation barriers on dual carriageways and replacing them with an area of yellow hatched lines in the middle of the road, They are also building new highways like this. So now there will nothing to stop out of control zig zagging buses or speeding or drunk drivers hitting high speed traffic coming the other way head on! And now grandma on her motorbike with3 kids can cross the highway in front of you at 2kph anytime, anywhere!

Agree about the gov needing to get serious about taking action but it won't happen. Not important enough. Has nothing to do with seat belts. It has everything to do with under paid and over worked drivers who simply don't care, are incompetent or who are in such a hurry that logic goes out the window (i.e. trying to pass a a trailer on a curve or right before an intersection). What they need to do is focus on driver training and safety. Hire better drivers even if they have to increase ticket prices. I don't take a bus anywhere much as I'd rather fly but as a lot of people have mentioned, I'll never travel via bus at night for ANY reason. Just not worth it. RIP to the deceased. These and thousands of lives could have been easily prevented. Welcome to LOS.

Edited by fanof3d