Controversial Mercedes Benz classic car handed over to DSI

webfact

Controversial Mercedes Benz classic car handed over to DSI

144-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The controversial classic Mercedes Benz owned by Supreme patriarch nominee, Somdet Phra Maha Ratchamangalacharn, or widely known as Somdet Chuang, was yesterday handed over to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) for further examination.

The disputed classic car was handed by Luang Pi Pae, the assistant abbot of Wat Paknam Phasicharoen, to the DSI.

Upon handing over the vehicle to the DSI by Luang Phi Pae, his lawyer said legal action would be filed against owner of the Vicharn Garage, Mr Vicharn Ratapana, who sold the vehicle to the assistant abbot who later donated to Somdet Chuang.

The lawyer showed a statement by Luang Phi Pae stating that he has handed over the vehicle to DSI and asked it to question Vicharn Garage over the controversial vehicle.

The assistant abbot said has no knowledge that the vehicle was imported illegally.

As for the focus that the ownership of the vehicle has been specified as Somdet Chuang, Luang Pi Pae explained that since Somdet Chuang has already transferred the ownership of the vehicle to him a few days ago and so he did not see the need for Somdet Chuang to give testimonies to the DSI.

The DSI yesterday said it would invite Somdet Chuang, nominee to the supreme patriarch, to give testimony related to the car within the week.

DSI Director-general Pol Col Paisit Wongmuang said he has to invite Somdet Chuang to give information as his name has been stated as the owner of the suspected vehicle.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/154101

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-08

Now put it up for auction, and with the proceeds give the beggars a free beggars licence,

Obviously that is what will happen eventually, as it does with all vehicles in similar circumstances. Apart from the nonsense "beggars" bit, of course.

Nonsense to have the beggars pay for a licence , or the proceeds going to pay for the licence ?

Don't Buddhists, specifically, monks, and even more specifically Abbots of a temple, have to adhere to vows of renouncing possession of material, earthly chattels and/or wealth or symbols of wealth?

I will never forget 4 years ago when perusing used sunglasses on a street vendor's table the monk who, grabbing a pair of Ray Bans, said to me: "Buy the sunglasses for me!"

I smiled at the brazen request and said: "Why would I want to buy them for you?"

The monk, who was around 40 to 50 years of age, responded: "To make merit."

Has anyone seen the numerous monks milling about Panthip purchasing from cell phones to computers?

The vows to humbleness and renunciation of material possessions appear to apply to the wearing of a frock and sandals.

Anyway, the car may end up being auctioned off at an auction where there will be only one bidder.

Thainess uber ales!

There's nothing 'controversial' about this Benz, it's a crystal clear criminal case!

The only 'controversy' I can see is the one Somdet Chuan, the monks around him, SSC members, Dhammachayo addicts, ...and the political groups belonging to TS, want to create, around this perturbation of their strategic plans!

"As for the focus that the ownership of the vehicle has been specified as Somdet Chuang, Luang Pi Pae explained that since Somdet Chuang has already transferred the ownership of the vehicle to him a few days ago and so he did not see the need for Somdet Chuang to give testimonies to the DSI."

Yep, transferred it a couple of days ago, problem solved!

A similar thing happened to me once, not long after I'd taken an AUA Thai class on Buddhism. One of the terms we'd learned was aamit buuchaa, the worship of material possessions. So I said something to him like <<<<Thai language removed>>>> - which probably isn't even very good Thai but it got the message across: how can the coveting of material possessions (by you) make merit (for me)? His reaction was a perfect mix of anger and embarrassment. Very gratifying.

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Don't Buddhists, specifically, monks, and even more specifically Abbots of a temple, have to adhere to vows of renouncing possession of material, earthly chattels and/or wealth or symbols of wealth?

I will never forget 4 years ago when perusing used sunglasses on a street vendor's table the monk who, grabbing a pair of Ray Bans, said to me: "Buy the sunglasses for me!"

I smiled at the brazen request and said: "Why would I want to buy them for you?"

Has anyone seen the numerous monks milling about Panthip purchasing from cell phones to computers?

The vows to humbleness and renunciation of material possessions appear to apply to the wearing of a frock and sandals.

Anyway, the car may end up being auctioned off at an auction where there will be only one bidder.

Thainess uber ales!

They may have to adhere to vows renouncing material wealth but Priests also are not

supposed to molest children. Lots of those around and just as many covering up the

crime. I am sure many of the monks transgress is a similar fashion. Give me the holy men

that like there red Gucci slippers and Ray Ban wearing monks any day IF they are

not guilty of the first two offences (which, the red Gucci slipper Pope is) bah.gif

Don't Buddhists, specifically, monks, and even more specifically Abbots of a temple, have to adhere to vows of renouncing possession of material, earthly chattels and/or wealth or symbols of wealth? This is true therefore he is a lay Buddhist in beliefs and actions. So not too sure how he can be Supreme patriarch nominee Not sure if there are vows made so much as accepting a mindset.

Why does a monk need a Merc? Next time someone offers a gift ask for the cash and give it to the poor. Oh! Sorry, monks don't care about the poor they are only interested in how much money they can amass for themselves.

A little off the subject, but this is one of the reasons I got out of the monk hood. Too little concern for poor people, really poor people and too much concern with spending 3 - 4 million baht for a new temple hall while within a mile or two of the new temple, people going hungry and virtually homeless. coffee1.gif

Edited by khaowong1

I was at a Thai funeral one evening , the Abbot of the temple can and gave a talk , before the monks came and did they chanting ,the Abbot spoke for a while then he produced a gold pocket watch on a chain from his pocket ,this temple is not in a city ,in a farming community ,can not see it being donated to the temple .

It is well before time some thing has to be done about Thai temples and they possessions ,but I suspect it will not be done in my life time, or my wife's young grandchildren.

Something like 500 years ago Desiderius Erasmus wrote that,

"... notwithstanding exceptional communities of genuine austere life and exemplary charity, the overwhelming majority of abbeys and priories were havens for idle drones; concerned only for their own existence, reserving for themselves an excessive share of the commonwealth's religious assets, and contributing little or nothing to the spiritual needs of ordinary people..."

Perhaps those Christian monks, canons and friars were eventually reborn as Buddhist monks?

Thainess uber ales!

They may have to adhere to vows renouncing material wealth but Priests also are not

supposed to molest children. Lots of those around and just as many covering up the

crime. I am sure many of the monks transgress is a similar fashion. Give me the holy men

that like there red Gucci slippers and Ray Ban wearing monks any day IF they are

not guilty of the first two offences (which, the red Gucci slipper Pope is) bah.gif

You're right, it is a sad state of affairs when a few fake and corrupt individuals can tar everyone with the same brush. There are, I am sure many true Buddhist monks as there are many morally decent Priests.

Remember, there is nothing wrong with the religions as such, it's the people who do these stupid things that have something wrong with them. There are always many more examples of people who do take their faith seriously and don't behave in such a way,, which is how it should be of course.

Why does a monk need a Merc? Next time someone offers a gift ask for the cash and give it to the poor. Oh! Sorry, monks don't care about the poor they are only interested in how much money they can amass for themselves.

A little off the subject, but this is one of the reasons I got out of the monk hood. Too little concern for poor people, really poor people and too much concern with spending 3 - 4 million baht for a new temple hall while within a mile or two of the new temple, people going hungry and virtually homeless. coffee1.gif

Not off subject at all, completely relevant topic.

As a counter for this though, I know of a Chrsitian Church in Pattaya that do not spend their money a big building, they rent space. All of the donated money genuinely goes to the needy, including establishing an orphanage, slum food parcels, prison visits etc,,,

So, there are always positive examples to counter the negative.