Import And Then Retail Business

As a Farang, if I take the option of opening up a company where I can work in it, for example importing "product X" from China and selling it in a small retail outlet, am I allowed to fit out the shop (painting etc), or is this something a Thai must do?

Well, first of all the company needs to be established and you have to hold a work permit. This is the FIRST step.

Obviously, your job describtion will be Managing Director and your job will be to direct and having the power to make decisions and sign for the company. Now, the question will be what is the Managing Director, who at the end is also just an employee of the juristical person, expected to do in the company.

Is he just a ruling director or more a hands-on personality filling in whenever there is a need?

Eventually, the most important issue will be to be holder of a work permit BEFORE you engage into any activity at the place of work specified in the work permit.

Also the base the company has been established on and what is outlined in your work permit (e.g. company's objective is to engage in the import of consumer goods) has to reflect the reality. If you are an importer you have the options of retailing and/or wholeselling your imported goods and for this purpose you may have a showroom or shop.

It is prohibted for foreigners to be a shop attendant means you are not allowed to be a salesman to Thai people. On the other hand you are the boss and hence can surely be around to give advice to your Thai staff and/or customers.

Same goes for the decoration of the shop. Officially, manual labour is not allowed for foreigners but on the other hand you surely may advise, direct and bring in your expertise.

So, all depends on the cirumstances but surely only then when you hold a valid work permit for the place of your activities.

Cheers,

Richard :o

So part of the job description for the work permit should include a staff training role. The MD is to assist in the training of the staff. Could the training include sweeping the floor, English language skills and/or customer service?

The last thing you do in the transaction you are training the assistant with, is to hand the product to the staff member, and ask them to ring it up on the till. You may have to show them the first few times. :o Either way you need to hire a local for the shop to be legal.

Have I got this right?