Violence in daily life in LOS

As for the poster with the rum family, a very good friend of mine just had her mother shot and killed in front of her tv because a nephew had crossed the local mafia boss. The province is rife with drug-fuelled violence that I certainly would be unaware of but for this incident. I suspect many other falangs are similarly unaware. Is it getting more violent? I have no way of knowing but my guess would be yes. I would also guess we ain't seen nothing yet.

As you mentioned my 'rum lot'. Auntie runs the local illegal rice whiskey still. In action here,

post-233622-0-73048200-1457851608_thumb.

Fermenting buckets of rice.

post-233622-0-99470300-1457851643_thumb.

Two stills working all day.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the poster with the rum family, a very good friend of mine just had her mother shot and killed in front of her tv because a nephew had crossed the local mafia boss. The province is rife with drug-fuelled violence that I certainly would be unaware of but for this incident. I suspect many other falangs are similarly unaware. Is it getting more violent? I have no way of knowing but my guess would be yes. I would also guess we ain't seen nothing yet.

As you mentioned my 'rum lot'. Auntie runs the local illegal rice whiskey still. In action here,

attachicon.gifPhoto0099.jpg

Fermenting buckets of rice.

attachicon.gifPhoto0097.jpg

Two stills working all day.

It could be worse...those could be vats of fermenting Pla Ra :0

Same as anywhere else I suppose. Just seems more petty here.

Perhaps only because typical farangs living here don't come from lower classes in their own societies. There is plenty of petty violence in the west with teens killing other teens if they look at them the wrong way (called being dissed or disrespected). Also many revenge killings in the US now happening where families and kids take the brunt of their drug dealing uncle's misdeeds. The sad fact is that the vast majority of Thailand is what we could consider lower economic or social class, poor education, limited skills, broken homes with 1 parent, etc etc. These same conditions exist in the inner cities of the USA for example with similarly violent outcomes.

Edited by tonray

Perhaps only because typical farangs living here don't come from lower classes in their own societies. There is plenty of petty violence in the west with teens killing other teens if they look at them the wrong way (called being dissed or disrespected). Also many revenge killings in the US now happening where families and kids take the brunt of their drug dealing uncle's misdeeds. The sad fact is that the vast majority of Thailand is what we could consider lower economic or social class, poor education, limited skills, broken homes with 1 parent, etc etc. These same conditions exist in the inner cities of the USA for example with similarly violent outcomes.

Fair points. In fact, very good points. Sometimes I just want to grab one of these American idiots through the television and tell em to grow up and get over their bitchy little problems. And yeah, I often tell myself many of the annoying things about Thailand happen back home too, but theyre more common here bc the percentage of low class people is higher.

Perhaps only because typical farangs living here don't come from lower classes in their own societies.ditions exist in the inner cities of the USA for example with similarly violent outcomes.

You're joking right,

My Brit/Assie pals are house painter, carpet layer, baker, dry wall erector, locksmith, postman, gardener, farmer.

Almost none of them finished high school. Many of them were minimum wage workers.

And nearly all of them live in what we call 'bedsits' when in Thailand (low class housing for the poor in the UK).

That seems to be the general class of foreigners in CM.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

You haven't met many British expats, have you?

Perhaps only because typical farangs living here don't come from lower classes in their own societies.ditions exist in the inner cities of the USA for example with similarly violent outcomes.

You're joking right,

My Brit/Assie pals are house painter, carpet layer, baker, dry wall erector, locksmith, postman, gardener, farmer.

Almost none of them finished high school. Many of them were minimum wage workers.

And nearly all of them live in what we call 'bedsits' when in Thailand (low class housing for the poor in the UK).

That seems to be the general class of foreigners in CM.

Perhaps I have been fortunate enough not to engage in activities or frequent venues where one might meet such characters. or perhaps I just limit my interaction with foreigners on the whole...if I wanted to socialize with people from the west I would live there.

And BTW in the USA a locksmith, postman, baker and a few others are middle classed as far as income goes ...says nothing for their mannerisms of course.

Edited by tonray

And BTW in the USA a locksmith, postman, baker and a few others are middle classed as far as income goes ...says nothing for their mannerisms of course.

Most of the world isn't American .... where money is all that counts.

In the rest of the world, class is based on,

Breeding, education and occupation.

Anyone who labours is automatically low class.

Those who use their minds for their work are middle class.

High class can only be gained from parentage.

Bakers in the US aren't low class ...... that's minimum wage work the world over, same as all factory/serving/shop/restaurant staff.

(unless it's your own business, and you have many employees)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Bakers in the US aren't low class ...... that's minimum wage work the world over, same as all factory/serving/shop/restaurant staff.

I didn't realize we were still working on the feudal system...you Brits are a hoot.

9 years never seen a child beat. Where are you hanging out?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

You should have seen the bruises on my six year old niece, put there by her teacher in Bkk, this girl is a little sweetheart, to stop me from going and giving this teacher a good hiding , male female same same, she came to live with us and has proved to be a model student over the last five years , so good in fact we now send to a super good private catholic school, so one day in the future she will be able to reach her full potential

I didn't realize we were still working on the feudal system...you Brits are a hoot.

You USA basher said constantly amaze me with your ignorance, you have no idea of American society, if you ever managed to scrape up enough money to afford a cheap package holiday in Florida this does not make you an expert, the US is bigger than Europe though of course we are more united. You Brits are only alive today because we bailed your ass out in WW 11, with American blood, try getting educated before you post your trite on a public forum.

You USA basher said constantly amaze me with your ignorance, you have no idea of American society, if you ever managed to scrape up enough money to afford a cheap package holiday in Florida this does not make you an expert, the US is bigger than Europe though of course we are more united. You Brits are only alive today because we bailed your ass out in WW 11, with American blood, try getting educated before you post your trite on a public forum.
Top non sequitur!

Well, if you are happy with a system where your standing in society is based on an accident of birth, more power to you. Fortunately that is not true everywhere and the rest of the world knows where it's not true.

TH

Well, if you are happy with a system where your standing in society is based on an accident of birth, more power to you. Fortunately that is not true everywhere and the rest of the world knows where it's not true.

TH

"Breeding, education and occupation". Literacy is probably the most important part of education, followed by an open mind and tolerance.

Yeah and the US was triumphant in Korea and Vietnam too eh?? Try an education a bit broader than John Wayne movies cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

TH

"Breeding, education and occupation". Literacy is probably the most important part of education, followed by an open mind and tolerance.

...."where the money is all that counts"

Yes and that's why the world's reserve currency is the US Dollar and not the British pound...

Edited by tonray

TH

...."where the money is all that counts"

Yes and that's why the world's reserve currency is the US Dollar and not the British pound...

The US dollar is the 'world's reserve currency' because the US murder anybody who tries to change it. Saddam tried to change it and he was murdered, Gaddafi tried to change it to gold and he was likewise murdered. The US has murdered more of their own leaders than any other country, do you think they would hesitate for one minute to murder others?

Another reason is that the US is in so much debt to other countries. China wanted to bring in a new separate yuan reserved for international trade to compete with the US$. However they realised they would be hurting themselves more in doing so because the dollar would immediately fall and in turn China would lose heaps because the US owes them trillions of dollars.

The US dollar is the 'world's reserve currency' because the US murder anybody who tries to change it. Saddam tried to change it and he was murdered, Gaddafi tried to change it to gold and he was likewise murdered. The US has murdered more of their own leaders than any other country, do you think they would hesitate for one minute to murder others?

Another reason is that the US is in so much debt to other countries. China wanted to bring in a new separate yuan reserved for international trade to compete with the US$. However they realised they would be hurting themselves more in doing so because the dollar would immediately fall and in turn China would lose heaps because the US owes them trillions of dollars.

Yes that must be it. Thanks for pointing that out...you are clearly on top of world economic affairs.

Yes that must be it. Thanks for pointing that out...you are clearly on top of world economic affairs.

Sometimes it is better to think first than to write it down immediately. Open mind and critical thinking ...its not too late I hope for you.

Sometimes it is better to think first than to write it down immediately. Open mind and critical thinking ...its not too late I hope for you.

Yes you are correct: "Open mind and critical thinking....." plus reading widely.

... if you look the daily soap operas in the tv you will see that every dispute in these movies is ending with violence. Already children are looking this on a daily base. The result is violence between the people.

Very good point, and that worries me, too.

No American bashing from me, I was merely correcting your erronius ideas about class.

I love the USA, if I were American I would never leave the country. I used to spend time every year diving and swimming in Florida, skiing and hiking in Neveda.

Can't understand why there are so many unhappy Americans living in Thailand. Go home, you're countries great!

Edited by MaeJoMTB