House design drawings...

cornishcarlos

It's amazing what you can do (discover) with that green grid line graph paper (available in tablets and big sheets at most stationary stores) and one of those triangular reduction scale rulers. I am by no means either an architect or an artist, but I did come up with a great floor plan for our house. We were looking at two of those, House Books that are in most bookstores here. I found two plans that I married to come up with our final floor plan. The elevation plans fell into place, then we gave that to a supposed architect (beware of hacks that because they can do some CAD on a computer, they decide they are indeed, an architect....) and he more or less did the blue prints, but totally screwed up some major overhead beams that later came back to bite us in the arse. Fortunately it is something we can live with. Good luck, pg

Sweet home 3D (http://www.sweethome3d.com/) is excellent for what you describe - and free. Also has 'virtual visitor' functionality so you can walk around the house.

Other stuff I found really handy is loads of objects available that can be modified (colour and texture), and the ability to add geo positioning and record a video over 24 hours (or any arbitrary time on any given date) and observe how the sun interacts with the design.

I managed to knock these up after a few hours of learning

iKEfviX1L4.png

UlWgEw38nn.png

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Sweet home 3D (http://www.sweethome3d.com/) is excellent for what you describe - and free. Also has 'virtual visitor' functionality so you can walk around the house.

I managed to knock these up after a few hours of learning

iKEfviX1L4.png

UlWgEw38nn.png

That looks good... Have tried things like Sketch Up before, takes a long time for stupids like me to learn :)

It does take a bit of persistence, but just start with something basic and move from there :) i think key is working out the 'Levels' functionality which allows you to do stuff like set floor thickness and ceiling heights per level, as well as working to scale from the offset.

Go to your local tessa ban and ask for a recommendation for a "draftsman" they might even have one on staff that does "outside" consulting

In any event, to obtain a building permit you will probably eventually have to have an architect or at a minimum have detailed drawings certified by a licensed engineer

But be advised some areas in Thailand don't even require a building permit

Just do what most people do and download google sketchup free from the internet. Very easy to learn and can be either simple or sophisticated as you want. Our house was built using plans printed from sketchup that I drew myself and gave to the builder.

• 1 month later...

Floor plans are no problem for me, likewise the elevation plans. It's more an artistic view that I want, to get an idea of what the finished article might look like (3D)...

Try Floorplanner. It will give you a 3D view. It isn't difficult to use (I can) and it's free on line.

Floor plans are no problem for me, likewise the elevation plans. It's more an artistic view that I want, to get an idea of what the finished article might look like (3D)...

Try Floorplanner. It will give you a 3D view. It isn't difficult to use (I can) and it's free on line.

Got into HomeByMe

Very easy to use...