What Gets Your Goat?

Basher

Hi all

Though I love the LOS for all it is, there are a few things that still make me cringe or grind my teeth.

I know I am being silly with this particular one but when I am walking down the street and someone gives it the 'YOU YOU YOU', it really hits me dead center.

How about you lot, what sets your teeth on edge or stops you dead in your tracks?

Basher :o

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

Though I love the LOS for all it is, there are a few things that still make me cringe or grind my teeth.

I know I am being silly with this particular one but when I am walking down the street and someone gives it the 'YOU YOU YOU', it really hits me dead center.

How about you lot, what sets your teeth on edge or stops you dead in your tracks?

Basher :o

Other farangs telling me about how their money is coming next week, and can i lend them a few thousand baht........................................

polo is right, but what about the classic sob stories of the bar girls.

I have more pity for the girls than i will ever have for some farang that lives off the generosity of other farangs.......You seen the state of most of the Farangs that come to Pattaya........i think every bar girl has a right to feel sorry, i think they deserve every baht they get, but as you know Dave, pattaya is full of Skint Pisshead farangs that will lie, cheat, steal, beg , borrow, just to delay the inevitable departure back to reality by a few days/weeks/months, the girls have to be here, the farangs can go home.

I never lost money to a Thai that i did not give willingly, so called mates have cost me 90,000 baht to date................

No more though, no more

Or howabout the guy who keeps bugging you for a job if you currently have one...saying he's been on the "beach" too long. Making it seem like you "owe" it to him just 'cause you're working? :o

I get this quite a lot too, the bar bums see me doing alright and seem to get a jealous 'injustice' thing going on in their heads.

That is a pisser too

Bash

Burning plastic next door to my place!

Wat's loud speakers blasting at 6 am!

16 long floresnt lights on in one little room at the post office internet area!

And right out side the door the dumb................ is sitting there not working with the TV blaring so I CAN'T THINK!

JUST TO NAME A FEW!

mb...you are right...I had forgotten about the obscure 'Suphan Buri Cop' starring Eddie Murphy as an asiatic black hooligan that mutates into local cop. As I remember, falangs are stereotyped as rich money grubbing gangsters that go around bonein' all the best looking talent in town. All the dialog is prefaced with the famous Eddie Murphy grin and 'fukc you falang'...

shoulda known...

I hate when they yak each other and refer to me as "the falang".  Even if it isn't derogatory in their eyes (which I find hard to believe) I still don't go around calling them "hey thai".

The 'falang' thing does get to you, it's no different from Mat Sally in Malaysia or Muzungu in East Africa, it's a kind of all encompassing term like 'dog', I know they don't mean it that way. Though maybe sometimes they do.

the falang business is the subject of a recent thread. I believe the consensus was that if someone knows your name and persists refering to you as falang then it is disrespectful. Otherwise it is the limitations of the language with no disrespect intended.

What realy pisses me of is trying to talk to a Thai while they are excavating their brain via their nasal passage. :D

...and then rolling the excavated raw materials between 2 fingers as if by chance a gold nugget or precious stone may have previously found it's way up there :o

What realy pisses me of is trying to talk to a Thai while they are excavating their brain via their nasal passage.  :D

...and then rolling the excavated raw materials between 2 fingers as if by chance a gold nugget or precious stone may have previously found it's way up there :o

You might see that anywhere.

Just watch out where they stick the bogeys afterwards; eat 'em or paste them under the table. :D

What realy pisses me of is trying to talk to a Thai while they are excavating their brain via their nasal passage.  :D

You might see that anywhere.

Just watch out where they stick the bogeys afterwards; eat 'em or paste them under the table. :D

one more thing about nose....

abt 50% of Thais have their noses blocked all the time. thats why you can see them using nose inhalers (menthols). Some time even on taxis, you can smell that menthol that driver is using!!! smell sucks!

Guest IT Manager
The inability to get any good information or conduct productive business over the telephone. Thank goodness for e-mail! :D

That gets my vote...big time.. :o

Guest IT Manager
I hate when they yak each other and refer to me as "the falang".  Even if it isn't derogatory in their eyes (which I find hard to believe) I still don't go around calling them "hey thai".

Why don't you. Adds to the educational experience.

As someone else said, I hate being called falang by peope who know my name. It's rude no matter what anyone believes. (IMO)

i hate discrimination between farangs and kheks....

i really hate the word "kheks"...

to be a south asian and working here is really a night mare. i think all the south asians might have experienced this thing in their real life.

I thought that the Thai's were off 'em too.

Coming off the boat and getting "You want taxi?" when I have lived here for 15 years (too many non-locals moving here). And when I wave my hand no, they say, "Where you go?" like I don't have a clue what I want. I usually turn around and say in my best local dialect, "I have my own car". Shuts em right up.

I must add I never get this from local drivers as they all know me quite well, and usually ask me if I need a free ride home. :o

I hate when they yak each other and refer to me as "the falang". Even if it isn't derogatory in their eyes (which I find hard to believe) I still don't go around calling them "hey thai".

I do everytime i hear thais calling me falang or talking about me as the falang in a shop for example i immediatly speak thai with them calling them thai, i know its not a big deal but being called falang dose get my goat, their are other terms in thai for talking about or to a stranger, Especially if your in their shop giving them your bussines

going into a cafe and asking for an iced tea and being told "no have"

asking if they have tea,answer is "have"

asking if they have ice, answer is "have"

asking again for iced tea,answer is "no have"

then asking for tea with ice and recieving my iced tea.

god bless the thais,each and every one of them, but their thought processes are unfathomable to a falang and always will be ,no matter how long we stay here.