Thinking of moving from Khon Kaen

Kenny202

Just getting a taste of how bad the heat is here again. 42 today.

Interested in a possible move to Chiang Rai. What sort of shopping you have there? Robinsons etc?

Anyone have a rough idea move a small house of furniture from KK to CR? What's the easiest way to come have a look? Drive? Train?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is no train to chiang rai....yes there is a central mall with robinsons, mcdonalds, starbucks etc.....sorry but.you seriously need to do a bit of research and spend some time reading TV CR forum as well as other sources before you pack up and move....

Reading won't really help as it is only another's view of life. I do need to go have a look though definitely. From what I understand mountainous, cooler , cheap and has all the facilities. It's a good start. Can u drive north or cross country from where I am or do I need to head south to Sara buri first?

CR isn't much cooler in the hot season but yes, it's nice having mountains around. Fastest way across is Route 12, a good scenic drive. I usually break the journey by spending a night at one of the resorts in the hills before Phitsanulok, then head north on Route 11.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Google maps are really easy to use and much more reliable than word of mouth.

If you are talking about Google Earth, go to directions, but a lot of it is in Thai, unless there is a way to get it all in English.

You can drive to Phitsanulok as a previous poster said, then keep on the 12 road all the way, then north to Chang Rai.

Forget about Saraburi, that would be doubling your journey.

Well from what I read, and of course could be wrong is a hot day in CR is about 35c? Here it will be 40-42 everyday for the next 3 months. It stays hot most of the evening too ie 35 degrees at 9.00 pm. Looks like the evenings and nights are a lot cooler up there

Reading won't really help as it is only another's view of life. I do need to go have a look though definitely. From what I understand mountainous, cooler , cheap and has all the facilities. It's a good start. Can u drive north or cross country from where I am or do I need to head south to Sara buri first?

I would have thought that this is a good move. Many of my friends in Chiang Mai (CM)are looking at Chiang Rai (CR): Here it's getting too busy and crowded. KK is warm and dry and at least in CR you get the cool season and decent air most of the time. If you want high end shopping you could always take day trips (or overnight) to CM where there is a whole bunch of malls and a great chain of Rimping Supermarkets. Indeed, I have other reasons to stay in CM but given a choice I think I'd move up north to CR. Good luck to you.

Hey Kenny,

I'm in Khon Kaen too and it is torturously hot isn't it! Luckily for me, I'm moving to Spain with my wife and kids in April :-)

Good luck with your move, wherever it may take you..

Cheers

thanks mate. Isn't it also hot in Spain?

Today 33°.

Not 40-42 is it.

Those temps are possible, but in the whole of Thailand

today is lovely...but have a look at the next 2 weeks. Like I said...the difference for me is cooler evenings. When I was living in Chaiyaphum temperature peaked about 6-7 pm

I was going to suggest the same thing. Google maps are really easy to use and much more reliable than word of mouth.

If you are talking about Google Earth, go to directions, but a lot of it is in Thai, unless there is a way to get it all in English.

You can drive to Phitsanulok as a previous poster said, then keep on the 12 road all the way, then north to Chang Rai.

That link is really pretty self-explanatory and shows a number of alternate routes. You can do pretty much the same things on Google Maps, Google Earth and my favorite Google Earth Pro. Language selection should not be a problem.

Missus is concerned about the smoke and fires this time of year (plus the smog from China when the factories are in full swing). Is it much of an issue?

Visiting this time of year will give you an idea of how hot it can get and whether or not you can deal with the smoke. I think you will find that most of the burning is agricultural not industrial and Burma and Laos are closer and more of an issue than China.

But as you suggested, reading probably won’t do much to inform you, unless of course you agree with what is written, so best just come and find out for yourself.
I really like driving the backroads of Thailand so I would probably opt for a route closer to the border and through Nan, entering Chiang Rai from the East but that is just me.

Your choices from shorter trip to longer trip....

Phitsanulok to Phrae to Phayao to Chiang Rai

Phitsanulok to Phrae to Lampang to Phayao to Chiang Rai

Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai

Welcome to Chiang Rai!

www.anugoon.com

It's hot all over in Thailand whether you stay in Issan, North, Central etc...best to get an aircon...

But nature/landscape quite different. More beautiful in North IMHO. Culture is similar, food is similar. Best really to visit. If you like it a bit bigger, you may want to consider Chiang Mai as well.

That link is really pretty self-explanatory and shows a number of alternate routes. You can do pretty much the same things on Google Maps, Google Earth and my favorite Google Earth Pro. Language selection should not be a problem.

On Google Earth, when you click on directions, as you say it shows a number of alternative routes, but there is a mixture of Thai and English.

You use Google Earth Pro, maybe I will look into that.

Khon Kaen is definitely hot but one learns to get up early and do things while it is still somewhat cool and then stay out of the heat. However ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcBr3rosvNQ

yeah we do that. Up early, go to the markets...do anything needs doing at home. Pretty horrible after 11. I hate locking myself in the air con and you can only go to the malls so many times.

It's hot all over in Thailand whether you stay in Issan, North, Central etc...best to get an aircon...

But nature/landscape quite different. More beautiful in North IMHO. Culture is similar, food is similar. Best really to visit. If you like it a bit bigger, you may want to consider Chiang Mai as well.

I do miss the natural features we had in Chaiyaphum. Had a lovely waterfall 1km from home..awesome series of little shaded cool pools. No one ever used to go there? Had it all to ourselves :-)

Take your car for sure - I expect that you will want to get out into the hills somewhat and need a car for that... out and away from town a bit and then you have the mall when you need it not too far away... heat is always more bearable outside of cities...

Enjoy your move - something different.

Archived