Bangkok to cut back on Songkran celebrations in order to save water

webfact

Bangkok to cut back on Songkran celebrations in order to save water
Kwaang Siripoom

sk.jpg

BANGKOK:-- As Thailand faces its worst drought in more than twenty years, Bangkok’s deputy governor has announced plans to cut back on this year’s Songkran celebrations.

Amorn Kijchawengkul has announced that while celebrations will still take place at locations such as Khaosan Road and Silom, this year’s festival will be held over three days instead of four, with celebrations taking place between April 13-15.

“The celebration in Bangkok this year needs carefully planned due to the dry situation.

“The celebration days will be reduced to only 3 days from the usual 4, which is starting from 13 to 15 April, instead of celebrations normally starting on on April 12,” said deputy governor Amorn.

Neighbouring provinces such as Samut Prakan and Prapadaeng will also hold their Songkran celebrations during the same time.

The deputy governor also announced that the 50 districts under the Bangkok administration have launched a campaign to inform citizens about the need to save water.

“The goal is to reduce at least 20% per day of the water supplying in Bangkok which currently using 2 million cubic meters a day,” said the vice governor Amorn.

Meanwhile, Adisak Khantee, advisor to the Bangkok governor who is responsible

On the other side of opinion, Mr. Adisak Khantee, advisor to the Bangkok governor, who is responsible for the water draining system in Bangkok said that he has worked closely with Bangkok Water Supply Department, and has agreed to direct more water to Bangkokians who live nearby Mae Klong and Mahasawat Canal by adding 40 million cubic meters a day which will help ensure people have enough tap water.

This will also reduce the amount of water used from the main Chao Phraya river which is used to provide water to people who live in Bangkok city center and territorial area. Adisak that that there will be enough water supply during the upcoming Songkran celebration in Bangkok.

Source: Matichon

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-10

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wait a minute. Didn't Kobbledcorn say the other day that Songkran festivities would NOT be cut back? Right hand not talking to left hand?

Anyway, hasn't Bangkok been 3 days for a long time now? It is places like Pattaya where the drunken splashfest goes on for over a week, will THAT be cut back to 3 days also? And what about making sure the SAME 3 days are 'celebrated' nation wide?

As i said i used to live on Samsen not too from Khaosen road, the street cleaners came down the roads at midnight on the 3rd day definitely ended lasted only 3 days

Phra padeangs Mon community my wifes one celebrates for a day a week after if i am correct !

So it Seems like this guys talking cobblers !

Ohh then we all come upcountry for the other 4 days of waterfighting thumbsup.gif

Spraying old farang is the most fun because they are too slow to run away gigglem.gif I will bring extra talkonpowder for their bald heads as well.facepalm.gif

Can someone enlighten me.

Maybe it is just me but 1 official says songkran will not be cut back, then another says songkran will be cut back to save water.

As far as i am aware songkran has been 3 days for years. So if that is the case what on earth is the deputy governor talking about.

Left hand right hand situation, in the end they all spout sh..e.

Well, well, well.....finally some common sense! Now how are they going to implement or enforce less water use during Songkran? Will police on the 4rh day arrest or fine revellers who continue the celebration?

Maybe it is just me but 1 official says songkran will not be cut back, then another says songkran will be cut back to save water.

As far as i am aware songkran has been 3 days for years. So if that is the case what on earth is the deputy governor talking about.

The loaf does one thing, and the north and south says another, the left hand thinks it's time for a Jimmy Riddle, and right hand thinks it's on for a Jodrell Bank.

It is as dysfunctional as it always has been, all that has changed is that now the daft and barmy are in charge of the bangers and mash.

It will rain on 13 May 2016. Otherwise there will be a crackdown,,,,,

Well, well, well.....finally some common sense! Now how are they going to implement or enforce less water use during Songkran? Will police on the 4rh day arrest or fine revellers who continue the celebration?

Now that is funny!

Wait a minute. Didn't Kobbledcorn say the other day that Songkran festivities would NOT be cut back? Right hand not talking to left hand?

Anyway, hasn't Bangkok been 3 days for a long time now? It is places like Pattaya where the drunken splashfest goes on for over a week, will THAT be cut back to 3 days also? And what about making sure the SAME 3 days are 'celebrated' nation wide?

One week? Dream on...

It keeps going on for 2 weeks leading up to the last weekend....

most people go away for the 2 weeks

drunken splash idiots....

As Bangkok is virtually deserted over Song Khran with only a couple of places used to engage in water fights one has to regard this a nothing more than am publicity stunt that will have absolutely no real effect on water consumption at all.

I honestly don't believe, that Songkhran is the big problem here, but rather a drop in the ocean (pun intended).

Nonetheless, it would be desirable to limit it to 13./14. of April.

I honestly don't believe, that Songkhran is the big problem here, but rather a drop in the ocean (pun intended).

Nonetheless, it would be desirable to limit it to 13./14. of April.

Absolutely.......most places have only one "big" day, normally in a town centre or gathering point and the water used appears to be the equivalent of one afternoon's rain showers - judging by the wet on the ground and around about.

If it was a "significant" amount we know in places like Pattaya the drains would overflow and there would be flash flooding...

Edited by cumgranosalum

I'm glad they got water to waste . needs more action than this, 3 days of drinking & playing like babies is ridiculous . Why it not be a bit more cultural & elegant I do not know ...

Cultural and elegant does not bring in the revenue that all the drunks spend that gyrate to this liquid gladiator sport. Its always about the money here.

hmmm don't entirely follow this

I lived there 2000/2012 it was always only 3 days !

Your correct the government is playing with numbers to make it look like they are concerned. You and I and the rest of the TV members recognize this but the average Thai well I don't really think he catches onto this one. Governments after all have to look like they are in charge of things.

Madame TAT does not confer with other ministries. Time to adjust her.